Is my late 2008 MacBook Pro's RAM compatible with my brand new MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thedarkmaster, Mar 30, 2011.

1. thedarkmaster macrumors newbie

Hi, recently I bought 8 GB of RAM for my late 2008 MacBook Pro. It is a 2.8 Ghz 15" MacBook Pro. Now I bought a new 15" 2.2 Ghz Intel i7 MacBook Pro and I was wondering... can I use the same RAM on this MacBook too? I'd like to switch the RAM between the 2 Macs, so that my new mac has 8GB of ram and my old one only 4GB. Is this possible or do I need a different frequency ram model and in case, what kind of ram do I need? Thanks in advance to everyone!

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

WHilst it would technically work you'd be using slower RAM. The 2011 MBPs use 1333MHz ram whilst the Late 08 models use 1067MHz.

3. thedarkmaster thread starter macrumors newbie

But, technically, it would be better to have more RAM for me, since I use a lot of pro tools like Photoshop, Archicad and Autocad, right? My old MacBook with 8GB of slower ram performs waaaaay better than my new one with a far superior processore but less RAM! So I guess I'll do the change in any case, if you tell me it works. Would there be any weird side effect?
    And, of course, I cannot mount the 4GB of my MacBook in the old one, right? But that's ok because I still have the old factory 4GB of my previous MacBook... so I can replace the 8GB with the old 4GB it had when I bought it.

4. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Technically its better to use the RAM designed for your system. However, It should work. Another poster had 8GB of 1067 RAM accidentally installed in his 2011 system by Apple at the factory and the machine recognized it. I don't think 667MHz ram (Macbook...unless aluminum model) would work in the late 08 machine though.

5. thedarkmaster thread starter macrumors newbie

I see, thanks a lot for your advices :)