Is my new iPhone 4s messed up

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Laidbackal, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Laidbackal macrumors regular

I just got my new iPhone 4s 2 days ago and I have made all the battery saving changes. My screen is not on full brightness or anything. The stand by time is good on the phone when it's not in use. The problem that I have is when I use Internet safari on 3G or wifi the battery goes quick every minute or so the battery percentage lowers is this normal it goes down every minute 1% just while browsing the web watching videos it seems it's goes down even faster. I thought I was suppose to get 6 hours on 3G in 8 on wifi I'm not getting nowhere near that.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Have you checked to see if it is on iOS version 5.0.1? If not, update it and it should take care of your battery issues.

What battery saving changes did you take exactly?

3. Laidbackal thread starter macrumors regular

Yes it is up to date I have made about 40 changes to save battery life no kidding. I hear it might be because my phone is new but I'm not sure about that.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Well give it a few days and see how it responds after a few charge cycles.

Also, what is the signal strength like for your 3G and WiFi? if they're really poor, especially the 3G, the phone will drain the battery faster trying to find a better signal.

Are you streaming video a lot or something?

5. Laidbackal thread starter macrumors regular

Signal strength on 3G is pretty good with 3 bars. And wifi is good also. I have turned off location services now which include the gps I believe maybe this will help.

----------

Not a lot of video streaming probably only 20-30 minutes a day.

6. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I noticed this as well with BOTH of my 4s's... Standby time was EXCELLENT but as soon as I did ANYTHING with the phone (even just looking through the settings) it would sink like a rock.

It seems to have leveled out but certain times some functions really drain the thing... I'll look down and it'll be 10% lower than when I started! YIKES

7. Couture Wraps macrumors newbie

Couture Wraps

I don't seem to have a problem. I hear different stories on the battery life and it may be the way the battery was trained or it may be a defective battery in the phone. Bring it back to Apple and they will exchange the phone out for you after they run tests.

8. Laidbackal thread starter macrumors regular

Oh wow I hope I won't have to return it after changing all the settings etc maybe I'm using it too much.

----------

Leonard how long have you had your 4s im on 2 days.

9. Jamkas macrumors member

How much data do you use a month?

Do you do full cycle chargers often? (Let it basically die and charge back to 100%)

You might use it to much but if you're not exaggerating about the 1% per minute then you should really take it in and have the Geniuses give you a new one.

10. ecwhite4S macrumors 6502

Branching off from the original topic, isn't it true that you should only do 1 full cycle each month (letting it drop to 0% and giving it a full charge) or are you allowed to do that as much as you want?

I heard Apple rates these batteries as getting 400 full charge cycles before they need to be replaced.

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can cycle it as much as you want. My launch day 3Gs is 2.5 years old and has 900+ cycles on its original battery and still holds 91.2% of its original capacity.

12. Laidbackal thread starter macrumors regular

Yes it is going down 1% every 1 or 2 minutes while online I guess I should take it in.

13. ecwhite4S macrumors 6502

When you take it in, they plug it into a iPad and run diagnostics, which includes letting them know if the battery is running the way it should. So, yes, take it in if you feel something isn't right. If the battery comes up as bad, they will replace it, no questions.

----------

Thanks for the info, makes me feel better. :cool:

14. takeshi74, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011

takeshi74 macrumors 601

Sounds normal to me but it's difficult to say based solely on your posts. You don't get something for nothing. Using the screen and using the processor comes at the cost of battery life. If you're worried about it then take it in and have it tested. The run time you get depends specifically what you're doing. It's possible to kill the battery faster or slower depending on usage. Not sure why people don't seem to get this. It's like your driving style and MPG.

Apple makes the recommendation because a full cycle "calibrates" the battery.

It's called the new toy effect. People tend to play with their new toys much more (and consume batteries faster) than they do once they settle into their normal usage patterns.

15. Texran macrumors regular

Just back it up to iCloud and you'll retain all your settings and content.