Is My Problem Handbrake or New MBP? (or me?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pgyanke, Mar 27, 2011.

1. pgyanke macrumors member

I'm going admit from the outset that I am a computer user... not a computer guru...

I used Handbrake for 2.5 years on my old Macbook without any problems. I ripped my favorite parts of LOTR and made a 2+ hr movie for my iPhone. When I got my early 2011 MBP, I migrated my old computer settings and programs to the new computer. When I ripped "The Sound of Music" for my ATV2 on the new computer, it skipped in places and echoed in others. I tried to rip "Finding Nemo" and Handbrake gave me a drop down list of chapters to choose from... couldn't do the whole movie at once as I had done before. Same thing happened with another movie.

Is it my new MBP or has something happened to Handbrake? There was an update recently for Handbrake... did that screw something up or am I suddenly doing something wrong?

2. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

3. pgyanke thread starter macrumors member

Color me stupid... how do I differentiate the versions? This is the one I'm currently running: Version 0.9.5 x86_64 (2011010300).

4. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Looks like you already are. I am using the same version with no problems. You could try reinstalling it.

5. pgyanke thread starter macrumors member

I'll give it a try. Thank you.

6. appleman53210 macrumors newbie

This is also happening to me. Just got this computer and I've been using Handbreak for the past 5 almost 6 years. from what I can see, there seems to be a problem when ripping discs. It might be the new processors idk but this doesn't happen when you're reformatting a video you already have. I've tried 4 discs so far (one of them being a disc I had no trouble with when I had the previous gen. MBP). So yeah. I hope they fix this. And if anyone else found a fix for this please help me out :confused:

7. Captain Dynamo macrumors member

Same problem on old MB

Hi,

I noticed the same problem using HB on my old MB.

After using HB for years, I've been experimenting with Ripit which is a little pricey at $25, but it does the job very well. Trial version has 10 free rips, so it is worth trying.

No affiliation with manufacturer of Ripit, just like the product.

8. appleman53210 macrumors newbie

Narrowing down

Well.... It's something with the Sandy Bridge processors. The first generation i5 and i7 processors work fine since my moms early 2010 iMac converts the DVD's I was trying to rip just fine.

9. superericla macrumors 6502

I'm having no problems with handbrake on my 2011 15" pro.

10. jdoelger macrumors newbie

tried ripping with mac the ripper first? I use MTR to rip a bunch of dvds, then batch them at night. I've always found Handbrake's ripping to be a little wonky.

11. VTMac macrumors 6502

No. That's not it. You can't migrate handbrake and have it work. You need to install 64 bit vlc. Delete handbrake. Then reinstall. If that doesnt work install both handbrake and vlc in a new user account. Handbrake is amazing on all the new mbp.

12. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Just a guess, but make sure you have a matching-bit copy of VLC installed.

13. appleman53210 macrumors newbie

That's the thing. I have both the 64 bit versions of vlc and handbreak running. But I'll try deleting and reinstalling both and see if that helps. This might have something to do with the time machine migration i did with my new MBP :confused:

14. VTMac macrumors 6502

I've just went through this. VLC doesn't install using the os x conventions. So parts of it don't get migrated. Handbrake finds VLC on it's first launch and caches locations of certain files. Since the "first launch" of handbrake was on your old machine, it's likely looking for non-existant files.

On one machine I had, the delete / reinstall procedure (installing VLC fresh in between) solved the problem. On the other, I had to use a new user account. I never figure out what it was, but the migrated user account was just too bunged up to work.

Regardless it's a software installation problem. Once you're got that straightened out you will be very happy with the speed. It flies.

15. pgyanke thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for a concrete suggestion. I will give this a try.