Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tiptizzle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
A couple of months ago the graphics card in my 2011 MBP died. I removed the 480GB OWC SSD I had installed in it and thought I’d be able to throw it in my 2012 Mac Mini to use and still have all my data. It didn’t work so I threw it in an external enclosure and couldn’t get it to recognize the drive still. Nothing shows up in disk utility.

So today I finally got a 2017 MBA and tried it in the external enclosure again and still nothing is coming up in Disk Utility. I had an HDD that I put in the enclosure and it works fine so it doesn’t seem to be a problem with the enclosure or USB cable.

I tried googling but I just keep getting the usual, check the cable, restart, try a different port etc. I’ve done all that and tried it on 2 systems where a different drive worked. Anything else I can try or is it toast?

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
You've done all the normal troubleshooting: rule out cable, enclosure/bridge, and ports.

Not aware of anything else to do to verify. If you had a PC handy, it would be interesting to see if any of the Win tools could see it. Doubtful, and it would not mount (if it was formatted for a Mac), but would further confirm it is dead.

Tiptizzle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
Thanks. It's my first SSD. Any mechanical drives that I've had fail always show signs first and the computer can usually see them still. And it seemed like a coincidence that it failed at the same time as the graphics card, but I had restarted the computer a couple dozen times trying to troubleshoot that problem.

I'll plug it into a windows computer too just to confirm.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I've had 2 SSDs that just "went dark" on me.

I could physically connect them to the Mac, but neither Disk Utility nor anything else could "see" them. Dead as a doornail.

Platter-based HDDs often give warning that they're "getting ready to go", but when it's time for an SSD to fail, it looks like they pretty much can go "100% all at once".

And once they do -- no getting them back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.