is now a good time to buy an 8GB iPhone? Also seeking advice on usage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fluidedge, Feb 8, 2009.

1. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

I know the buyers guide says DON'T BUY but i'm not looking at a 32GB option as i don't really want to use the phone as an iPod (beyond a couple of GBs of my favourite tunes) - so is it 'safe' (?) to buy now?

I suppose there won't be any updates for a while (Summer WWDC probably)

Also can anyone advise me on whether i'm doing the right thing buying one - as well of being a phone of course, I intend on having the device to put my animation and digital art portfolio on so i can whip it out and show people when i'm out and about etc. Does anyone else use the iPhone for a similar purpose - how does it work for you? I've held out long enough and decided it's time to have a multimedia phone that can play videos and display portfolios to people. That way i've always got it on me and don't have to carry dvds and giant folders around.

We're looking at getting a few phones on the UK O2 business plan and that way it works out at about £35p/m for the first phone (8GB given free) and then £85 for each subsequent iphone and then £20.50p/m for 24 months. Is this a good deal - i think it is? I'm not wild about being locked in for 2 years but i've been on a 30 day contract for 14months now so i guess it doesn't really make much difference.

advice appreciated

2. Martin Finch macrumors member

Hey. 24 month contract :s I know how you feel. I don't like to be locked in to huge contracts either. But it sounds to me like your really going for the multimedia side. Especially if you're looking to carry around a portfolio, or look at others portfolios on the go, this is selling point. Also I know a few of the UK retailers have a 2 week return policy if your not liking it, they do this at phones4u last time I checked anyway, but they'll be hardcore resistant if you try to return it; the bonuses go down on returns. To conclude, I say go for it, just make sure you can return if you don't like. Hope this helps, best of luck, :)

3. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Well the iPhone would be good for showing portfolios because of it's big screen, and Safari's ability to handle certain images quite well compared to other phone browsers. Which of course, you can also store your stuff on the phone itself.

As for the contract, it's worth it if you want an iPhone, because of course you won't need a new phone for quite a while, and you can always pay the ETF to get out of a contract.