Is now a good time to get a rMBP 13 or is Broadwell around the corner?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johngwheeler, Oct 23, 2014.

1. johngwheeler macrumors 6502

Hi,

I'm considering trading up my 2013 i7 MBA for a rMBP 13, mainly because of the option of 16GB RAM, which I find I need for some development tasks. I don't really need a new computer urgently, but it would be nice.

Is this a good time to get a Haswell rMBP, or are the Broadwell replacements likely to emerge in the first couple of months of 2015?

IIRC, the Broadwell U-series might launch in Jan/Feb, but who knows how long Apple would take to refresh their MBP line? They might even skip them and go straight to Skylake in 2H 2015.

Given the choice would the 2.8GHz Haswell be a worthwhile upgrade from the base model?

Thanks for any comments!

John

2. someoneoutthere macrumors regular

If you are looking for an upgrade mainly for the 16GB RAM, go for it?
    Speaking of the technical details... There have been quite a few posts about the energy efficiency of the upcoming models. So if you are not really dependent on battery life [and base 13" rMBP should have a decent battery life], I don't think you should wait 'till the release of Broadwell equipped rMBP.
    CPU... a base 13" rMBP's default CPU speed would be .9 GHz faster than your current i7 processor on the MBA (No reference to benchmark comparisons). I wouldn't go for the 2.8 GHz processor (versus the base 2.6 GHz), since it is still dual core/i5 and the difference would be negligible.

3. puke macrumors regular

Broadwell is 8-12 months away. You die every minute. Get it now :) It's a beasty machine.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Broadwell is not really around the corner, so I'd say go and buy the machine. Its going to be a while before we see updated MBPs at this stage.