Is Obama fear mongering?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mgguy, Mar 27, 2009.

1. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

George Bush has been criticized in these forums for "fear mongering" to gain support for the Iraq war. Might the same now be said about Obama vis a vis Afganistan? The following is a portion of a Reuters news article released today (bold accent added). Comments?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I'm glad someone posted a thread on this. It's incredibly important

I don't think it's fear-mongering because the situation in Afghanistan and Pakistan is far more perilous... because in Pakistan the ISI is supporting the Taliban and Al-Qaeda and Pakistan is a nuclear state.

Clustered around Afghanistan are a host of states including Iran, Pakistan and the former Soviet territories of the 'Stans. There are pipelines to also consider and further afield you have China and India.

The situation in Pakistan is very fragile with recent political concessions made to the Taliban-supporting tribes in the tribal regions. And this administration is finally getting tough with the Karzai regime. So, there's more subterfuge and complex interests involved.

These recent announcements by the administration as well as a shift in policy have been applauded from all sides of the political spectrum. But make no mistake, from this point on, it's Obama's war. If anything, the Bush administration really played down what was happening over there, while concentrating on the folly of Iraq... which had nothing to do with anthrax, WMD, 9/11 etc.

Joe Klein summarises:

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I don't know if I would call it fear mongering - if anything, I think he's trying to prepare people for the worst, so to speak. Nobody wants to be the leader that does everything possible to convince everyone there's nothing to worry about, then we get caught with our pants down and have another September 11 on our hands.

IIRC, George Bush did quite a bit of this as well, and came under fire for it as well. Whether the intel given to him on WMD's in Iraq was accurate or not, for him to tell everyone how dangerous Iraq is or might be isn't really much different from what Obama is doing now.

When you're a politician, it might be best to err on the side of caution when it comes to things like safety or national security. One of the reasons you can't take shampoo on an airplane in a carry-on anymore (don't get me started).

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

There's a piece in the NYT which gives an idea of how this new policy came about which shows the various slightly less-public voices involved, Biden especially:

5. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

For your first bolded statement. That comes from the guys in command, Obama is just passing down their judgment of the situation.

There was an editorial on CNN today that hinged on whether Pakistan decides to do something about the people operating within its borders.

I don't perceive what we are seeing as fear-mongering.

6. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I lose track of who said what, but the Sec/State is one of two administration VIPs who's publicly commented about "...never waste a crisis..." The accusations of fear-mongering have mostly been about Obama's pessimistic comments on the economy--but I'd call those more in the line of factual descriptions. Regardless, there is for sure a large number of nervous or scared folks around. Easy to see why, and governments during crises always use fear to extend power and raise money. Always. So do special interest groups, whether business/industry, the Sierra Club or the NRA.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Afghanistan has been an area of concern all along. The Taliban is disgusting. I was all for the invasion of Afghanistan after 9/11 and am still for military action there. I also think we need UN help- we can't do it alone. Iraq was the huge mistake that took our attention away from Afghanistan.

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

The government probably would never admit this, but I still think that a big reason for that is because we went into Afghanistan ready to kick ass and take names. Months went by and we weren't able to find Osama bin Laden, but Americans were still pissed off and wanted to take somebody down.

Conveniently (or not), someone recalled that Saddam Hussein was starting to get a little bit too big for his britches again, so there was a lot of support here in the U.S. (at the time) to go back to Iraq and finish the job we started back in '91. We all expected it to be quick and painless like it was the first time - we were surprised by the amount of insurgent warfare the troops were met with.

Once it started turning ugly, support started dwindling, and now in hindsight many people maintain it was a bad idea. Whether it was a bad idea or not, there was a great deal of support for going into Iraq back in '02 - people tend to forget that.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Bulls***. Bush/Cheney wanted Iraq from the beginning of their administration. Afghanistan/9-11 was their excuse.

10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I don't doubt that they did - my point was that the American public supported the move at first, as well.

11. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

More support, yes. I would stop short of saying "great deal" - don't forget, the Iraq war was precipitated by the largest peace rallies on the planet since Vietnam, and the largest (only?) peace rallies ever to take place before a war started.

Many, many people recognized from the start that Iraq was a folly. And many of those people who supported it did so only on false pretences: i.e. the belief that Iraq had WMDs, or that Iraq was involved in 911. Both claims were known to be false before the war, but the Administration pushed them as true to justify their war.

As to Afghanistan... I would say, to some degree, Obama is fear mongering. He is certainly preying on people's fears to advance his agenda. But the key difference between him and Bush is that there IS a threat in Afghanistan. So yes, he's playing on people's fears, but he's justified in doing so because those fears could well be realized if action is not taken.

12. jeremybuff macrumors regular

No no no, do you guys not understand this entire war in Iraq, was sparked due to the dollar! Yes, the dollar. Iraq was and is a show of force; talk of switching from the dollar stems way further back than just this year.

If the dollar is abandoned, the Obama administration would utterly fail and our nation was we know it will be gone. I'll dig up some videos and links soon, but trust me- take a look into this.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

There are no plans to abandon the dollar. Stop watching that racist pig Lou Dobbs.

14. jeremybuff macrumors regular

Lol. So, you're in the know- huh? By the way, I do not watch Lou Dobbs. Talk of abandoning the dollar is just now reaching the airwaves, but none of that is serious.

Have you traveled around the world? Sat in foreign forums? THAT is serious.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yes, I am in the know, just like the majority of this country who know that this abandoning the dollar crap is a conspiracy theory started by the same morons who think 9/11 was a hoax :rolleyes:

And why yes, I have traveled this world. In fact, I have a £20 note sitting on my desk right now from my most recent travels, and it doesn't have any mention of god on it and last time I checked, which was just 3 weeks ago when I was there, the UK isn't overrun with a bunch of godless commies because of the lack of god on their money. Maybe something's changed in the past 3 weeks, if I had some more vacation time, I'd go over and check :rolleyes:

16. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I don't think anyone doubted our military capabilities before we went into Iraq.

17. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Time have changed.

Any real fear-mongering by Obama, would be in relation to the Economy - not War or Terrorism.

Events have made the economy the number-one fear on most (if not all) Americans minds, and so there is just not the traction for what GWB tended to do.

After all, you can't incite fear when no-one is really paying attention.

18. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I was (am) a supporter of Barack, and against any further military involvement in the entire region. So, I was disappointed to hear Obama's plan to continue American troop build-up there. It was important to have him explain his reasoning for not abandoning further military escalation.

Therefore, I was glad he came forward and explained why he felt this was necessary. Unlike the previous administration, he is not hiding anything. I still do not want to remain there, but he seems to have some reasoning behind his actions. I do not think it is 'fear mongering'.

19. mgguy thread starter macrumors 6502

mgguy

if he were hiding something, how would you know? Usually you learn of deception in hindsight. He has only been in office for a few months. Give him a fair chance to dissapoint before you judge him.

20. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

On this particular post? Perhaps not.

Generally, yes IMO. He does use fear mongering quite often when he speaks. It is part of his style; his spin.