Is operating system a good reason not buy these PCS and go with iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by chameleon81, Mar 18, 2009.

1. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

Today I saw them at PCworld.

I like Mac Osx ( I have a Macbook ) and I was considering to buy an iMac in the coming 3-4 months.

But after seeing these PCs I decided to get suggestions from you guys :)

Do you see any reason other than Mac Os X for yourself to buy an iMac? ( cheapest iMac is 949 pounds )

Attached Files:

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

OS X is the thing. I wouldn't buy a Mac without OS X.

3. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

Yes. You'll get a lot better service from Apple. Better to go direct rather than PC World.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I have to say this is it.

5. DarkRyan323i macrumors member

I would play around with all of those PCs and see how you like them. I went with a Mac because of the OS and the overall look and feel of it. To me, having a Mac makes the simple tasks of internet, messaging, music, and movies more enjoyable. Much like a BMW (the ultimate driving machine) makes the simple task of going from point A to point B more enjoyable. It's all about personal preference.

6. kurosov macrumors 6502a

It is entirely your choice.

I myself would never make the choice of running windows over os x just for a spec bump i don't need.

7. cold macrumors newbie

cold

+1 for OS X

And for the design. And BTW I hate the black keyboard on the new notebooks. But I still like the iMac and the Mac Pro + the white keys keyboard.

8. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

OS X of course.

Also, the elegant design. (Although it's more a subjective thing).

9. Lexlee macrumors newbie

I could not have said it better myself.

When I got my last toshiba laptop I was forced to go rebuy XP so I could do a fresh clean install minus the tons of junk software. I also hate how windows feels it's necessary to let every program have its own place in startup. This means that a Mac and Windows machine with comparable specs will boot up to a working desktop in dramatically different times. And the updates. Mac seems to have it's fair share of updates but my windows laptop has to install some new windows critical update almost every time I boot up.

For me 100 pounds is nothing compared to the amount of stress you will spare yourself.

10. chameleon81 thread starter macrumors 6502

OS X is the biggest problem for me. I really like it.

Design is also important but I liked those 2 as well. Being quad core , 22" screen, harddisk, graphic card are big differences compared to the entry level iMac.

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Do you really need quad-core? OS X worths at least 500€ for me.

Go for iMac!

12. AL2TEACH macrumors regular

if you already have windows lying around somewhere, you can put it on an iMac.

13. chameleon81 thread starter macrumors 6502

I know but I heard it is complicated . Maybe not complicated but I have to wait for patches if apple upgrades sth.

14. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

There's some sites with a lot of smart, helpful people giving advice, drivers, etc. If the hardware on the machine is roughly similar to what apple's selling now (processor, ethernet, wifi, video card, etc) it shouldn't be too hard to try.

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you're not handy with computers and you don't want play with it for hours to get it working, don't try Hackintosh.

16. kennyli macrumors regular

You are asking a good question, but in a wrong place :D:D

It depends what you are looking for. If you don't want to play with hardware and also software, buy a Mac. I started my Mac life from buying a iMac for my wife. Saving me a lot of time and effort to solve the hardware conflicts and also software problems! Almost no virus too!

But, on the other hand, if you want more hardware and software flexibility, specially you are a budget buyer, like me. Than take a PC.

17. azdunerat macrumors regular

I tend to take PC specs with a grain of salt after playing with my mac mini and then using my cousins Dell desktop that was far superior spec wise. However the dell seemed much slower at multitasking and working basic video and photo programs.

I guess you have to look at how well the system utilized the resources its given. Its like putting a 400HP engine in a 800 pound race car, being compared to putting a 600HP engine in a 1600 pound race car. Some people are going to run over to the 600HP engine and say this must be better because it has more HP, but the real racer will go over to the 400HP car because he knows that it will outperform the other car in every aspect.

18. kasakka macrumors 68000

I wouldn't buy an iMac if it wasn't for OSX. I might buy a Macbook for other reasons though, mainly because the touchpad is way better than competitors' hardware.

At the moment I've got both OSX and Windows 7 running on my PC and I prefer Win7. It's a bit faster than OSX and in some areas more fluid and easier to use. OSX triumphs in other areas, like UI homogenuity in programs as well as the way programs are really easy to install.

Oh and setting up a Hackintosh is getting easier all the time. If you have the right set of hardware and preferably an external FireWire sound card (apparently the built-in soundcards can be problematic) then installing it is just as easy as installing Windows.

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

thats the only reason at all for me

apple is lame with their computer hardware for sure....unless you like skinniness for no reason. i like performance over look any day as i dont buy a computer to look at it

hence my hackintosh

20. chameleon81 thread starter macrumors 6502

I can play with computers, many times I build up computers for myself and other people. But the problem with hackintosh is that I have to wait until some developers write a code for updating my system.

The problem is not the budget. There isnt such a big difference btw 2 prices if both specification were the same. It is the feeling of being charged too much which makes me think.

Thanks to everyone.

When the time comes, I would sit and think about hackintosh.

21. kennyli macrumors regular

If you can play with computers, than take a PC! You have more flexibility with hardware and software.

Forget about hackintosh! It is meaningless without Apple's hardware! Try Windows 7!

22. kasakka macrumors 68000

As far as I know there is already a setup for upgrading like you would normally. Never tried it myself though. In any case updating OSX is very rarely really required right away, waiting a few days for the instructions on how to do it isn't too much.

23. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

what are you talking about

my hackintosh is not meaningles without apples hard ware lol. using it riiiiiiight now

24. chameleon81 thread starter macrumors 6502

Why is it meaningless? Windows is not officially launched so it won t be the best option.

But thanks for the future advice.