Is opposition to the existance of the Edition Watch class warfare?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Rogifan, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I think it is. I think it bothers some people that someone else would spend $9K+ more on a watch just because it's made with a different material. And in their mind that's not a business Apple should be in or endorse. I don't know how to describe it other than class warfare. I personally couldn't care less what someone else spends their money on. But if Apple should only be selling things that 99% of their customer base can afford then I guess they shouldn't be selling a maxed out Mac Pro with 4K display. That's roughly $13K, which is a lot more than 99% of Apple customers can afford.

2. Glene macrumors 6502

Huh?

It's business and marketing that's all, I hardly think this was discussed at the exec meetings prior to launch. Apple is just trying to break in to the fashion/high end segment....

3. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

I think the people who oppose it mostly seeing it from the technology point of view alone. Kind of like "How dare you? You're tech company after all".

4. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

I'm not talking about Apple, I'm talking about those that are personally uncomfortable/offended Apple would sell a $10K watch.

----------

Exactly. As I've said elsewhere if only the Edition existed then the complainers would have a point. But the Sport watch is actually cheaper than the original iPod was. And in today's $ the original iPod would be selling for over $500.

5. marmiteturkey macrumors 6502

marmiteturkey

No, I don't think it's class warfare - it's either:
    a. people who are jealous of those who can afford it (cognitive dissonance), or
    b. people who have a different (valid) attitude to money and possessions and don't see the point

6. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

I agree. I think it reflects poorly on the people that have a problem with it. It's very rare that someone's problems with it look entirely rational. There's an emotional component to it. People are offended.

I think there's something that happens to people in wealthy, matured economies that causes this. It's simpler when people can show exactly how much wealth they have, but eventually the middle class revolts by saying it's gaudy.

Everyone tries to look like they're at a better station in life than they are. Just like how some rich people dress in understated clothes to make people think they're richer than they are, middle class people try to show that they are richer than they are by claiming it's modesty. The truth is that most middle class people buy the most expensive version they can afford, but then act like they're being frugal to others. People try to inflate by what's not being said. Rich people do the same thing. When they go to a richer person's house that has gold silverware and a Picasso hanging, they say it's over the top, when really, they're just protecting their ego.

Economies that are not as developed, or are growing fast don't tend to do this in my opinion. I think people see it as hope for what's possible. People in the ghetto have no problem showing what they have. Neither do newly rich people in Asia. I respect that straitforwardness of it.

7. madsci954 macrumors 68030

So you're only uncomfortable that Apple is selling it? You do realize that if Apple wasn't selling a gold watch, someone else would.

8. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

And how does Rogifan feel about Apple's decision?

Do you feel what Apple have done, and price the only gold "colored" version of the watch out the the price bracket of 99.9% of Apple buyers?

Do you agree this is the right thing to do, or do you disagree with this, and feel they should focus on keeping their products at a more affordable level?

Surprise me :)

9. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

I'm not necessarily in opposition of it, as I do believe anyone should be allowed to sell whatever they want at any price they choose to. After all, the market will dictate if there are any actual buyers. I just personally think it's not the most well thought out decision by Apple. That's coming from a buyer/collector/admirer of luxury watches ($8-10k and up). I'm not sure Apple has the right idea of how you actually get to the point you can command a $10K price for a watch.

10. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

Apple has been known to sell expensive luxury stuff. So what.

People complain that they have gone commercial. Now they complain about this.

They love to complain.

Bless them :)

11. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

So let's make this a bit clearer, you predict the Edition will be a failure in term of sale?

12. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

You hit the nail on the head. I think some people resent Apple selling a watch that they cannot afford.

I'm not a 17k watch person, so I "cannot afford" one in the sense that it would be an illogical purchase for me to make. Do I have the funds to buy one? Hell yes. I do.

Maybe that's why I don't really care about how much they're selling these watches for in the first place. They have a product (the Watch in SS) that I really like and it's at a price that I AM willing to pay for a first gen Apple smart watch.

So, I am satisfied. They could be selling a 100k Limited Edition or some such and I wouldn't care. I'd just be interested in the marketing and how well it sold, if at all.

It's interesting. :)

13. Brian Y macrumors 68040

I have absolutely no problem with people buying the edition watch. Different things mean different things to different people.

To me, a watch is a tool. I'll therefore be getting the basic sport.

However, when buying a car, i could have bought a Ford fiesta - it would have still gotten me from A to B, and probably would have been more reliable, and certainly would have been both cheaper to buy and maintain. But instead, I chose to buy an Alfa Romeo. Some people would think i'm crazy for doing so, but I loved the way it looked.

I can afford to buy one, but I wouldn't want to.

Horses for courses and all that.

14. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

You see this is the mistake most make here.

Apple has NEVER made expensive luxury stuff.

They have made "stuff" fractionally better in form (not function) than some other brands at a price point fractionally higher in mass quantities.

There has never been anything luxury about Apple at all, it's mass production on a giant scale of average priced consumer goods.

People seem to forget this.

15. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

This.

I agree completely. Which is why I predict the Edition will sell so well in Asia.

----------

Apple has been making computers for years that were many times more expensive than a similar computer (that wasn't nearly so pretty) made by another manufacturer. This is one of the biggest gripes of the PC vs Mac folks and with the iPhone, it's a big gripe of the Droid vs iOS crowd. Same goes for the iPad vs (every other tablet) crowd.

Apple has never been known as a "budget" manufacturer.

16. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

That's ridiculous. People who don't have to worry about spending a lot of money just want a nice watch, and apple wants people to take them seriously as a premium watchmaker. Nothing more than that.

17. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

So why do I buy things far less than I can afford ?

I could afford an iPhone 6 Plus in a blink of an eye without a seconds though, and yet, I have bought a brand new phone recently:

http://www.microsoft.com/en/mobile/phone/105/

It does phone calls, text messages and lasts almost a month on a battery.

Why would I buy such an item, when an iPhone 6+ is just a breath away ?

18. michael1019 macrumors member

I think your argument has giant holes. You're not sure that Apple, the world's most valuable company, one of the most popular brands on earth, knows how to market a product? You don't think they've reached the point where they can command 10K plus products? What do they have to do first? How much more brand equity do they need?

You can try and argue that it's the same problem hyundai or volkswagen have when they've tried to enter the luxury car market - and it's that people associate those brands with value and not luxury. That's also why Mercedes does NOT sell certain vehicles in the United states - brand equity. Here, they are a luxury brand and a luxury brand ONLY. In Europe, they make taxis and vans.

Apple doesn't have that problem. They make really nice things that are, in effect, kind of like luxury products. Their computers are more expensive. Their phones are expensive. Their tablets are expensive. It isn't a stretch to imagine the watch will be expensive.

$350 is cheap for a watch. Almost laughably cheap. $1000 for the stainless makes sense. 10K plus for a gold watch is pretty normal for a gold watch. They don't have to DO anything to command that price. It reminds me of a watch company like Bell and Ross, a relatively young brand. You can buy a 4k BR01. You can also buy a 125K tourbillon. They didn't have to wait until they were 125 years old like Patek Phillipe. They just had to build it. Whether or not you buy it is up to style. That's all it is. If someone can afford it, wants an apple watch, and likes gold, they'll buy one. Apple has the brand equity to command it.

19. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

So Apple has kiss-up training sessions for the retail employe's now?

'Special VIP' kiss-up carpets and first class glass booths (the richies like privacy).

Do they serve Champaign?

note: You wanted class warfare :D

20. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Actually, they have been making luxury stuff for years. And it's often not just "fractionally" higher.

The original iPhone cost 6 times what other phones did at the time, on contract.

The 20th Anniversary Mac was an ordinary Mac inside, but a special edition at $9000. $7000 more than it should have been.

Then there was the iPod Hi-Fi. A speaker system that was priced higher than Bose's offerings.

The original MacBook Air was a "luxury" computer. You could spend $3,000 on an original MBA, and have the same (if not worse) spec than a $500 laptop at the time. All because of how thin it was.

21. michael1019 macrumors member

This is kind of stupid. You've got it completely wrong. Apple products aren't just fractionally better. It's like you're trying to say dumb things. Who was making computers out of aluminium before apple? Who was making unibody aluminium phones? Companies other than apple simply want to pump out cheap plastic crap. Steve Jobs is chiefly the person responsible for the amazing trend of products that aren't total crap. Apple is the company pushing everyone else forward. It isn't fractional. The gap was huge. Massive.

Aren't you aware that their products cost more? Everyone is always bitching about it...well no joke they're more expensive. They're better designed and put together. I appreciate that attention to detail. If you want crap, that's what Samsung is for. That's why they exist.

Luxury - it's stuff you don't need but really love having. Apple products are borderline luxury goods.

22. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

To "people with money", Apple products aren't expensive. They really aren't priced much higher than comparable products these days (weeding out the value crap in every product category). Apple USED to be considered expensive. They now make good quality, consumer grade, disposable products. In the age of the Apple iPhone, I've not picked up one Apple product that I felt was truly luxury. Good, yes. But not "luxury". I would equate them to Honda in the auto world. And if Honda made a solid gold Accord for $1 million dollars (I have no idea if this is a realistic price, just an example), would the same people buying million dollar supercars buy it? I think we all know the answer to that question...

----------

I'm glad someone else sees this.

23. michael1019 macrumors member

You still have this completely wrong.

What computer company makes the nicest, best engineered and put together computers with the best materials?

What company makes the best, nicest phone with the best construction?

What company makes the most beautiful laptops?

You don't know what you're talking about. If Apple is 'honda' (a ridiculous comparison to make in any context) then who is the BMW, Mercedes and Ferrari of the computing world? I'm waiting.

----------

In this context, there is no Ferrari of computing. Apple is essentially like Mercedes. They make cars, like everyone else does. Just nicer. Better construction. Better materials. Considered design.

----------

In this context, there is no Ferrari of computing. Apple is essentially like Mercedes. They make cars, like everyone else does. Just nicer. Better construction. Better materials. Considered design.

24. Tycho24 Suspended

Tycho24

Jesus, what's with the weirdo coy guessing games???
    This post reads like a setup for a Saw film, lol... "Do you guys want to play a game?", "Guess why Piggie doesn't buy more expensive items...", "Go ahead, guess!" *super creepy laugh*
    Ummm..... news flash: you are NOT as important as you think you are. You do NOT occupy so much of other forum member's mindspace that we care to try to "get inside of your head". Ffs, just share your opinion like a normal human being! If you want to tell us how you feel about something, just say it.

25. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

It's the pathetic game playing and one upmanship I feel so sad about.

The poor people here who need to buy things to try and impress others.
    God that is so sad that you feel so insecure about yourself as a human being that you need to buy items in an attempt to prove your worth to others.

I don't care if you are dressed in rags or draped in gold.
    In fact if you are in rag you are probably a far nicer person to know.