Is OSX the new Vista? My new MBP is as sluggish and weird as the one it replaced.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dr-J-Dizzle, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Dr-J-Dizzle macrumors newbie

Dr-J-Dizzle

Folks, I use my computer constantly for my job so upgrade my laptop every 2 years or so. I just got a brand spanking 15" MB Pro with all bells and whistles. I chose fastest processor, 8 gig memory, and solid state drive.

I hooked the new to the old with firewire cable and used migration assistant to move settings and documents (but not applications) across. This took almost 4 hours!

Then, I installed MS Office 2008 from a new disk.

Then, I dragged a few programs over from my old Mac applications (via firewire mode) onto new Mac. Examples: Vuze, Handbrake, Visual Thesaurus. These seemed to work OK, but it did seem a little weird not to have to "install" them.

iTunes wouldn't work because the version on my new computer was older than that on my old one. OS was earlier version, too. You think if a guy drops $4000 on a laptop it's be up to date but whatever.

So I upgrade to newest 10.6.4 I think OSX and Itunes. Then it worked.

But the thing behaves very strangely.

Sometimes the trackpad freezes. Even at start-up after a forced power-down (i.e. hold the power button down until it cuts), the trackpad and keyboard don;t respond. That happened twice in a row and then it was OK the third time.

Sometimes the wireless keyboard types the wrong letters.

What the hell is going on? The reason I upgraded was because my other machine (which I'm typing on right now) was getting sluggish and all the usual tricks didn't help. Now my new fancy machine is a piece of crap-ola, too.

Any advice?

It was exactly this kind of crap with Windows Vista that made me switch to Mac.

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Make a new user account. Bring everything over manually. See if that helps. Often, OS X's slowness comes from the user account getting bogged down, not because the OS or hardware is bad.

3. mac8867 macrumors 6502

I have to be honest with you, it sounds like you just dragged all your disorganized "baggage" from your old machine to your brand new one.

Applications do not "install" on unix based operating systems like they do on windows. There is no registry to contend with.

Like you, I am also a professional who's entire working life is done from my laptop. So, my recommendation to you is, consider organizing your data files into a structure that is backed up via Time Machine. THEN, rebuild your laptop from a clean OS install, install your applications, then pull your data back.

4. radicalcentrist macrumors member

I agree completely with mac8867. About six months ago, I decided I needed to replace my late 2007 24" iMac (2.4 Ghz, 4GB RAM). I figured I'd do a clean install and re-download everything, only bringing over my data files from my external. Just to see if I could save my business the cost of a 27" iMac.

Sure, it took longer, but it's three years old and it still runs like a champ.

Maybe it's a little Microsoft-y, but in the two years I owned my last PC, I did clean reinstalls four times before it finally crapped out.

5. Newfiejudd macrumors regular

Similar Issues

I have had similar issues. I had issues where fans wouldn't increase rpm until the system reached 95c. I had issues with track pad and random shut downs on start up.

Like everyone suggested I did a fresh install to my SSD and reset my PRAM and everything works top notch.