Is our society too connected?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by JediZenMaster, May 14, 2010.

1. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I'm starting to think our society is way too connected and thrives on buzz words and pop culture instead of human interaction.

For example years ago people used to read and now it seems like when people do read they don't asorb anything and once they are done reading a book. They can't describe what it's really about and can't name any characters.

People tend to wiki everything it seems and don't retain anything. It's weird i guess this generation is going thru "Information overload".

I Find myself sometimes just going off of the Grid "No Twitter,No Facebook,Etc". And just enjoying a nice book.

Anyone care to share thoughts on this?

2. Hmac macrumors 68020

3. JediZenMaster thread starter macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

:p No , But seriously i was at the movie theatre watching iron man and i saw 2 people sitting next to me tweeting throughout the whole movie.

I love technology too but i think sometimes it's great to read a book or write or paint :cool: Technology is great but when people spend more time on facebook than interacting with humans isn't that crazy?

4. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

I totally agree with you Jedi. But I don't think it'll get any better. People are too used to getting information in the blink of an eye. With the internet they also very detached from reality. I find it funny that the biggest worries of people (and the biggest product news) are movies, music and mobile browsing. People can't seem to live without 5 devices on their person at any one time. Just a sign of the times...

5. Hmac macrumors 68020

Crazy compared to what? To the way it "used to be"?

Society is evolving. Has been evolving. Every generation has some aspect to its evolution that makes the previous generation think it's crazy.

6. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

Agree with you wholeheartedly. I mean we all get into habits, and technology is sort the cocaine of our generation. We have to know how to use it, in order to conform to society, and we may get acquainted with it a little too much.

Related to that people texting and twittering in the theater, it's just that people are behaving badly. That's just what it is...

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I just finished Benjamin Franklin's autobiography, its funny how back then they couldn't get enough information so they thrived to attain it, now there is too much information and no one wants it.

Information Overload :eek:

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This is Iron Man we're talking about... I'm not sure tweeting wouldn't be a more intellectual activity. :p

Seriously, I too think your vision of the past vs. the present is a historical as well as a present-day fiction. I haven't seen any statistics that people had more literary knowledge 10 or 30 years ago. And the amount of fighting for dominance of the eBook market certainly draws into question the idea that books have somehow become irrelevant.

Now there is a surplus of people complaining about the situation, but that too is pretty longstanding, as can clearly be seen from the satire and attempts at satire that have been collecting over the past two or three centuries.

(And honestly, if you're going to write a thread about connection and technology causing the erosion of our intellectual faculties, you're going to get called out for your awful grammar and barely comprehensible sentence structure.)

9. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

We are too connected.

I don't want to say that I'm addicted to technology, but it has a very strong draw. I just switched from an iPhone to a normal phone, and am thinking about trading my laptop for a desktop, to avoid the constant technology overload.

On a similar note, people on campus don't even interact anymore. They walk around with iPod earbuds completely oblivious to social interaction or to the beautiful world around them. And they're probably listening to complete **** to top it off.

Must. Escape. This.

10. Hmac macrumors 68020

Seriously...didn't any of you people take a course in Sociology?