Is overcharging bad for battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Thomasss95, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Thomasss95 macrumors regular

Thomasss95

Usually I charge my iPhone when I go to sleep.
    So most of the times I will overcharge...
    Is this bad?

2. cnotes2019 Suspended

Not unless you're sleeping for 18 hours :)

3. Thomasss95 thread starter macrumors regular

Thomasss95

No, but I sleep about 8-9 hours...

4. cchunk macrumors 6502

Nope, you'll be okay. Do you think apple expects people to wake up in the middle of the night to disconnect their phone? Lol

5. Oui macrumors 6502

Still Wouldn't matter, the battery can't be overcharged.

6. cnotes2019 Suspended

That's fine :) unless your battery is at 98% already

----------

It would still wear out something if not the battery than the charging cables. :)

7. Oui macrumors 6502

Stop spreading false information.
    The charging cable will not be worn out by leaving it plugged in.
    And the battery wont be harmed if you charge it close to being full.

8. cnotes2019 Suspended

So sorry for spreading false information :)

9. thecurryman macrumors 6502

Yeah, just like with newer computers, the iphones have mechanisms to prevent overcharging. After the phone gets to 100%, it will stop charging and discharge for a little bit then begin to recharge again. It does this cycle over and over again but the amount discharging/recharging per cycle is unnoticeable

10. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

At the contrary, the more you leave it plugged in, the better the life of the battery. The batteries of today are not the same ones of the 90's so plug away, it's recommended.

----------

false info, don't spread false info.

11. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

This is 2013. Your phone controls the amount of power it gets. When the battery is full it will stop charging. Relax.

Ever notice on mac computers if your battery is at 99% and you plug in the power, it wont charge? Tech is smart hese days :)

12. cnotes2019 Suspended

I want to apologize for any false information I was giving out :) I think I was banned for an hour for my wrong doings. Please forgive me everyone in this thread :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

13. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

You should be fine, your phone will not overcharge on a lithium ion batteries. Once it is fully charged, charging stops. Batteries have a tiny chip on them so they know that when it is fully charged, it stops charging to prevent overcharging.

14. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

since my original iPhone, I've always charged mine overnight. no problems to report.

15. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

That's BS, and not just a little bit. Don't spread false info.

16. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I'm calling your BS

You are wrong, read about lithium-ion batteries and come back, I will be waiting. ;)

Here is a read to understand the smaller the depth of discharge, the longer the battery will last: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016%2Fj.engappai.2012.02.015

Or if you want me to put it simple for you, read apple's website:
    http://www.apple.com/batteries/

17. Breaking Good macrumors 6502a

I disagree with what many have written in this thread. I believe that doing what you state above will negatively affect the lifespan of your battery.

However, the effect will be so small that it will be highly unlikely that you will notice it.

There is a tutorial on this someplace on the Internet. I'm sorry that I can't find it for you. But it made the most sense of what I've read on this subject.

Think of your phone's battery as a balloon that you are filling up with water and then emptying over time. Now if you fill up this balloon as much as you can and then leave it sit for several hours, you are placing a great deal of stress on the balloon material.

However, if you fill the balloon up and then once it is full you start to empty it over time, you immediately start to relieve the stress.

When you think about it, your battery doesn't store water, it stores electricity. The more elecitricity in the battery, the greater the strain on the materials in the battery.

The tutorial I read said that the best thing you can do for lithium ion batteries is to do small charges instead of long deep charges.

Think of the balloon again. It's better to say keep the balloon between 40% and 60% full than to drain it completely and fill it back up to 100%.

Now again even though I believe what I've written above, I don't think you would be able to tell the difference after two years. The battery is going to degrade either way. I think it unlikely you would be able to tell the difference if you followed my advice or if you continued doing things your own way.

By the way, I agree with what others have written that you can't overcharge your battery, but I still think you place additional stress on the battery by leaving it plugged in.

By the time you wear the battery out, you'll be ready for a new phone any way.

18. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

lmao, u r overthinkin this.....

19. emseven macrumors regular

Apple has power management for it's LiIon batteries that trickle charges the last 80-100% and then to prevent (and alleviate all of your concerns) move the battery between 98-100% while you sleep.

I will also remind you that the Genius Bar will replace the battery in a three year old iPhone for $70. So...who cares.

20. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Another internet battery theorist. Apple publishes practical information for the care of batteries in the systems it designed. Follow the manufacturer's recommendations and you'll be fine.

From the link already provided, use 100% of the battery over the course of a month. Period. It can be 10% a day over 10 days, or 5% a day over 20 days, or 100% in one day, or 50% on the first of the month and 50% on the last day. It doesn't matter how long you leave it plugged in as long as you discharge 100% of the battery a month. Period. Period. Whatever witchcraft from a textbook you want to follow beyond that is OK.

21. Eyden macrumors member

I also charge my iphone for whole night. No problem till now.

22. Breaking Good macrumors 6502a

23. joshdammit macrumors 6502

Deleted. I lost track of who was quoting whom. :)

24. pat park macrumors 6502a

False info spreader!:D

25. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

You should be fine unless you're sleeping in a Winnebago and charging with a Palm Treo charger...