Is OWC Ram pretty good, I want to upgrade to 4 gigs of ram, easy swap?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Illinoisbmx, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Illinoisbmx macrumors newbie

I've got a a Unibody MBP 2.4 and would like to swap to 4 gigs of ram, I've never done anything like this but it sounds quite easy, is OWC ram decent, I've seen some bad reviews on Crucial and on Newegg, any tips would be appreciated, thanks.

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

OWC is good.
    Crucial is good.

Reviews only refers to that specific person, not a group.

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Crucial is best.

Dont try to save money on your RAM, or you'll soon be back here complaining of constant freezing and shut downs.

Its easy to swap, infact its designed to be user swapped.

OWC is ok, i depends if you feel lucky punk.

4. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

I've bought RAM from OWC twice now, and I haven't had a problem with it either time. But, it was only twice.

5. Kevlar macrumors 6502

I put 4 GB of OWC in my Macbook Pro and another 4GB into a friends Macbook (both unibody) and both have had zero problems. Great price and great quality.

6. brendon2020 macrumors 6502

all the ram for my mac's i've got from ocw or ebay (can't find the seller or their site) and never had any issues.

7. vocalcity macrumors newbie

My OWC upgrade for my Unibody MBP has worked flawlessly. I also took the time to run Memtest86+ over night and the memory tested fine.

Bottom line is you are likely to get good memory no matter who you buy from (provided they are reputable), but there's always a chance it could be defective.

8. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

OWC and crucial have both been reviewed favorably on this forum. I swear by crucial, my good friend swears by OWC, neither of us have never had anything but excellent service from both. OWC does have nice trade in deal going usually. As far as installation goes the only problem you may run into is needing the right sized screw driver ( I recommend a 00 size, others will say 0) and just hope that the person that put together you computer didn't screw them in to tight.

9. Mark2000 macrumors regular

Mark2000

OWC sells samsung memory, the same that apple uses. It works. Don't pay more than them, they're the best.

10. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

0 didn't work for me, 00 fit perfectly. I would also recommend 00.

11. xoggyux macrumors 6502

memory upgrade is very simple.

I dont know if OWC is good, however I can tell you I bought crucial ram (2x2GB 667Mhz) for my 2008 (not unibody) MBP and the performance was any different from the 2GB (2x1GB) so I ended buying kingston memory which I notice a nice improvement (I bought low latency 4GB for $39 however Unibody MBP memory @ 1066Mhz is more expensive)
    Here are my suggestions:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134827

also G. Skill brand is very popular with overclockers and PC enthusiast, though I have no idea if they are good, however this one is $10 cheaper than the kignston, if you do research and find that one to be as good or better as the kingston then I dont see no way not to save $10 :D

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231213

remember whatever you decide, pay attention to the latency (DDR3 latency is higher than DDR2, the lowest I have seen so far is 7ms, so be sure you get 7ms or less, you will find memories for like $50 but they are 9ms and I dont think they will be a good investment.)

Again I do not recommend crucial, and even if you go for crucial do not buy from crucial website, they will charge you shipping and it takes like 2 weeks most of what time it was in warehouse.

12. OngL macrumors member

I got a 2x2GB upgrade from OWC for my family's MB Unibody. I don't have the MB with me but tested with my MBP, works like charms. Run memtest86 osx a few times, ram diagnostics, all fine and works well.

I got the one with OWC label and Micron chips, it should be crucial. From what I read in another forums hardwarezone.com.sg, one mentioned that OWC's or Crucial ram slow down the system, he saw the wheel icon more when browsing and goes away when he changed to apple's stock RAM 'hynix'.

Is there any truth at all from what he mentioned?

13. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I've been strictly buying from OWC since being blown away by their personal service, quality products, and low prices for years and years.

14. xoggyux macrumors 6502

I used to have crucial before I switched them to kingston, at that time I did not pay attention to that, but now that you mention I do recall indeed that when browsing I would get random beachball panics, sometimes it would go away after few seconds otherwise I would lose my mind before it fixed itself and I would go and quit it myself.

2GB apple stock -> 4GB crucial Noticed absolutely no increase in performance, if anything a decrease (thought i could have been a mild increase and since I was hoping a big increase I unconsciously considered it to be a total failure)
    4GB crucial -> notice some increase in performance but not mind blowing, it does not worth the money for the cheer of the performance for web browsing or like task, though for $50 I rather see the system report 4GB instead of 2GB :D (that has a powerful mental effect) also its good to be prepared for future more demanding software.

15. eddietr macrumors 6502a

Our office has been using OWC RAM for many years now, on dozens of Macs.

Out of all those modules, we had just one problem (with the RAM in my own MP) which OWC took care of immediately with no hassle at all.