Is paying monthly for an Apple product any good?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tomthedude, Feb 1, 2009.

1. tomthedude macrumors member

tomthedude

Besides the fact that you end up paying WAY more, and its for like 3 years...
    -Tom-

2. AnDi86 macrumors 6502

I personally wouldn't as you do pay way more for it, but if its the only way you can afford it, then you may want to consider it?

But i wouldn't go near it! Just save your pennies for longer untill you can buy it outright! Especially if its only a want rather than a need!

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Save until you can buy it in one shot. That is ALWAYS a better idea.

And heck, by the time you've saved your money, something new might have come out, so you'll get a BETTER machine straight off instead of still having to pay for an old one after four revisions have come out!

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

If you can get the ACD Student discount then its a good idea, if you can't then its a complete rip off.

Its really easy to qualify for their finance though in the UK, too easy in my opinion but lets not go into that.

If you want to use Apple Finance and you have an overdrawn Barclays account, Barclay Card, have had one, or had any bad experiences with Barclays good luck.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The repayment period is far longer than the upgrade cycle...

Which means using the machine far longer than you normally might since you are still paying for it.

Companies used to do this when they hadn't fully depreciated machines and there were antiques sitting on the desk because the bean counters wouldn't replace them due to their current "value".

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

It can be paid off early, i know a few people who used to be students who have it but personally i dont like being in debt to anyone, especially desperate banks.

7. tomthedude thread starter macrumors member

tomthedude

You can pay it off early?? Like, how early? After you have paid the total value?

And if its £20 a month for a £550 Mac Mini, what will that monthly payment go down to with an educational discount (I go to high school - I'm 15)?

8. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Educational Discount will get you 10% off, so your MacMini will go down to £495.
    (you just need your highschool details)

Your parents will have to sign the finance in your name, as your too young to get it yourself (you need to be 18, and own a house)

9. tomthedude thread starter macrumors member

tomthedude

If the price of the Mini will go down, will the monthly payment go down, too? Otherwise I would end up paying more.
    -Tom-

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

Only if the price goes down before you buy it.

11. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Just curious- is the Educational Discount applicable to high school students in the UK as you indicated? It is not in the US so was just wondering.

To the OP- avoiding financing altogether is the best of course, but if you choose to finance be sure to put every bit of cash into the deal as you possibly can to minimize the amount financed.

12. apersianboyCOM macrumors 6502

I agree with everyone else... save up and get it yourself. I hate doing finance on stuff... even hate using the odd credit card here and there until payday!

13. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Yes it is applicable in the UK, infact the US is one of the only countries where it isnt.