Is "PayPal Digital Gifts" run or aided by scammers?

zorinlynx

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I often buy $100 iTunes gift cards from "PayPal Digital Gifts" when they're discounted 15%, as it's an easy way to save money on iTunes/iCloud services and apps. But my friend told me that I should stop because the gift cards sold through them likely come from the same scammers that do the whole "You owe the IRS money, buy gift cards and send us the numbers" thing.

Is this true? I can't find any solid sources for or against this theory, and I don't want to support scammers when I buy the gift cards! I'm pretty sure my friend is mistaken as this storefront is run by PayPal, but you never know these days.

TiggrToo

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2017
Out there...way out there
I often buy $100 iTunes gift cards from "PayPal Digital Gifts" when they're discounted 15%, as it's an easy way to save money on iTunes/iCloud services and apps. But my friend told me that I should stop because the gift cards sold through them likely come from the same scammers that do the whole "You owe the IRS money, buy gift cards and send us the numbers" thing.

Is this true? I can't find any solid sources for or against this theory, and I don't want to support scammers when I buy the gift cards! I'm pretty sure my friend is mistaken as this storefront is run by PayPal, but you never know these days.
Your friend needs to calm down.

If it comes from PayPal, the cards are kosher.

The scammers don't resell the cards - all they care about is the codes so they can spend the money on then.

Reactions: Solomani

akash.nu

macrumors 604
May 26, 2016
Your friend is misinformed. It’s good to be careful of course but with the correct info and data.

Erehy Dobon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2018
If these guys are spammers, well then they are the most incompetent ones on the entire Internet because I've been buying these gift cards from them the past three years and they have never scammed me.

Where did your friend get his/her information? Did he "read something on the Internet"? [sic]

Last edited: