Is possible to install Ati HD 6670m (iMac 2011 21,5) in iMac 27 late 2009??

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Gianca90, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Gianca90, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013

Gianca90 macrumors newbie

Hi all, I'm from Italy, so sorry for my terrible english.
    As the question in the title, I've done some research and this is what I have found. My intent is to install this video card into the iMac late 2009 with hd4670.

First seems that Imac 27 uses a MXM-B connector and 21.5 uses MXM-A Connector FONT.
    Infact my HD 6670M 512MB has MXM-A Connector, and have 70mm lenght and 82mm width!

From WIKIPEDIA says that MXM-B IS RETRO-COMPATIBLE WITH MXM-A (not viceversa but is not my case).

So if my suppositionsare correct; can I install the 6670M in iMac 27 late 2009? There is any software incompatibility?? Thanks in advance!

Sorry for english again! P.S. My question is about only to install this video card on this Imac, don't reply with other video card suggestion! THANKS :)

P.S. From Ifixit there's an image of the motherboard of iMac 2009; and it is very similar to the imac 21,5 motherboard with ati 6670M

2. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

Did the new video card come out of another Mac? If it didn't (i.e., if it is a card from a PC) then it is unlikely to work because it won't have EFI.

The firmware on the card needs to be Mac-specific for it to be able to boot.

The Mac Pro can boot without this firmware (the screen is just black until OS X boots up), but the iMac will just fail the boot test and refuse to boot up unless it has an officially Mac-compatible card. This means finding a donor card from another iMac, or flashing the ROM on the new card with a Mac firmware, assuming you can find one that will work.

3. Gianca90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, yes the 6670m is from my iMac 21,5 2011! So it will be perfect compatible?

4. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

It *might* be - OS X has the drivers for it, and it's a specific Mac card so all the signs are positive.

If there's any chance, you have the best possible set of circumstances for it to succeed. All you can do now is actually try it.

5. Gianca90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah sure, Apple doesn't give the possibilities to replace the gpu card, so we never have the 100% guarantee.
    But we have right now theoric and practice hardware compatibility and theoric software compatibility.
    Thank you!

6. crouchingtiger macrumors member

i know this is an old thread, but I just did this exact thing into my iMac 27 2009 whose 4850 card failed. Works great!