Is putting a bluray burner in the old PB fw enclosure a good idea?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by California, Aug 12, 2009.

1. California macrumors 68040

California

I reverted back to a 12" Powerbook because I couldn't stand the size and lack of fw in the original unibody MB, and now want to pump as much power as possible out of it. I need to upgrade, I don't trust it's four year old original 60gig hard drive.

So I held on to my rarely used "SmartDisk" cd burner that was an Apple give away with my original PowerBook Titanium 400mhz buy in August 2001.

It's a tray loading ATA CD FIREWIRE burner. Those original PBs did not have cd burners and this was Apple's way of making nice.

I was looking at it the other day and pried it apart and realized it was just a simple enclosure for any PATA tray load burner.

So now, I'm thinking about getting an SSD drive plus an OPTIBAY SATA drive for the 12" POwerbook and losing it's combo drive altogether.

If I get a blu ray tray load burner I'm pretty sure it will fit in this firewire enclosure. If Apple updates us to be able to burn bluray, it will also be portable and I can switch it with my intel machines.

Plus I will be able to carry it around in case I need it with the 12" Powerbook, that will have two hds in it to speed it up.

What do you guys think of this idea? The firewire "SmartDisk" unit is very reliable I even bought a couple for a few friends of mine a couple of years ago. I like the bootable aspect of firewire on a burner, instead of everyone having USB externals.

2. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Among other possible problems, a BD-R drive is going to have a SATA interface whereas that older enclosure is sure to use IDE. I don't think you'll be able to get it to work for that reason alone. There are converters but they take up too much room for most external enclosures, not to mention what compatibility issues it would add to an already suspect setup.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

4. California thread starter macrumors 68040

California

Actually, I've found several PATA blue ray burners...

No, they are standard laptop size and would fit.

I just don't know if my Mac will play blu ray? Am I dumb or do Macs play blu ray?

5. goMac macrumors 603

Nope, you'd have to boot into Windows.