Is racism just a given now (Andrew Harrison comments)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nbs2, Apr 5, 2015.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

It's been a while since I posted a thread here, but PRSI has long been my go to source for broad commentary on newsworthy events. Stories that command attention get posted here moments after they happen. So, with that, I can't remember how to tag a URL on my phone, so forgive the long link at the end.

Back to the story. Andrew Harrison from Kentucky was asked his opinion of guarding a Frank Kaminsky of Wisconson. His muffled, but but clearly understandable comment was, "******* that n****." I have seen little commentary and less outrage. Most of my search results were forum discussions, which stand in strong contrast to the events at OU and other statements.

I expected Sharpton or someone to start making demands on UK to take action, but haven't. Are we just jaded now?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12621890/kentucky-wildcats-reviewing-andrew-harrison-postgame-comments

2. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

Usually dismissal from the team or suspension from school is requested, during any investigation. On completing the investigation, a defined end to suspension or return period will be established - based on their findings.

What action do I think is necessary? None, as long as it is being investigated. I prefer to withhold any action until you have a final decision on any investigation unless a persons safety is clearly at risk - not the case here. I just thought there would be an outcry, in light of recent events, and thought maybe we have reached the saturation point.

Edit: that was weird. The comment I was responding to disappeared. Now I look like I'm talking to myself.

3. Meister Suspended

Meister

As you noticed I removed my post, because I know that certain members have massive sticks up their ass and won't understand my joke ;)

It's a story about a black basketball player calling a black opponent a ****ing n*****.
    It's like me calling some other honkey a ****ing cracker.

4. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Thats what Andrew Harrison was doing.

I suppose, on some very weird level, that Harrison's sotto voce murmurings could be construed as an expression of respect for a highly talented opponent - one who skills ended Kentucky's dreams of both an undefeated season and a NCAA Championship.

Who was hurt here? Kaminsky? Is Frank Kaminsky going to feel that - by using that word - Andrew Harrison racially or socially discriminated/assaulted him?

I think it was perhaps unfortunate that a) Harrison said what he did and b) that we close-mic amateur athletes in such a situation.

But overall, I think the worldwide Internet Outrage Machine needs to take a chill-pill. Being 100% outraged, 100% of the time over pretty much anything is too tiresome to be really enjoyable.

Lets save our collective outrage for the really important things, no?

5. AustinIllini macrumors G3

AustinIllini

I thought your comment was funny. Just saying. But I believe in having a sense of humor.

I hope people just let this go. He obviously meant it as Kaminsky is his basketball peer.

6. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

FWIW, Frank Kaminsky isn't black. He's a white dude....

:D

But, yeah. This is probably much ado about nothing. Stick a microphone in the face of a kid who just lost a really rough game and it's probably going to get real.

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

He might have a rare case of color blindness.

Or maybe he knows something we don't, that Kaminsky is transracial and he just wants to help him out of the closet.

8. TPadden, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015

TPadden macrumors 6502a

The problem is someone connected to the web's outrage is brought out by their electronic device rather than actually participating in a physical athletic event.

They then expect more commentary and outrage; otherwise everyone else connected to the web is jaded or racist .....:rolleyes:

Now if (all athletes should engage in protest) Sharpton participated in athletics; then we'd see some interesting commentary :D!

9. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

A racial slur/insult, term of inderement double standard.

What this says to me is that some blacks use this term frequently, usually aimed at their of-color brothers and sisters and think nothing of it as an all purpose derogatory term which can be used on a spectrum of seriously to humorously directed at anyone even white guys, as long (I'll infer) as it's not a white guy directing it back at them which may or may not become a huge issue. ;)

10. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Is this a bloody joke?:eek:

11. citizenzen, Apr 5, 2015

citizenzen macrumors 65816

I've listened to this clip numerous times with headphones at a loud volume, and I haven't heard the comment yet. Though I chalk that up to age and poor listening skills, and trust that he did say it—heck, he's apologized for saying it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtoKhCX3qpE&spfreload=10

I don't like when anybody uses the n-word. The word directed towards blacks is entirely inappropriate. And used amongst blacks simply makes it more likely it will be used elsewhere ... inappropriately. So I'd rather that none use that phrase at all.

However, now that Harrison said it and has apologized, what should his punishment be? How do you punish an amateur athlete who's just played his last game of college basketball? Do you kick him off the team or out of the school?

Personally. I'd settle for the condemnation that he'll receive through news and social media. I don't think any further steps are necessary in this matter.

12. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

13. TPadden macrumors 6502a

... but you recognize that it is OFFENSIVE, otherwise you would have typed it. :rolleyes:

What was your point?

14. Meister Suspended

Meister

Good luck typing ******.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

You're just not trying hard enough.

My wife frequents Yahoo :)eek:) and says there are many different ways people have gotten around the spelling constraints and still made the meaning perfectly clear.

16. obeygiant, Apr 5, 2015

obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Work Hard, Play hard. - Wiz Khalifa

Well for one the word is used in nearly all the music i hear in the ipod or the radio.

Thats just how people talk.

My point is that the use of that word doesn't always equal racism as the OP states in the title.

17. samiwas macrumors 68000

Why would it be a joke? This is actually a great place to pick up on articles and see what a broad spectrum of people are saying about them.

I could go to Yahoo!, but we all know the wastes of oxygen that posts on those articles. And most websites with comments sections are either heavily left or heavily right, neither of which I have much interest in following.

But here? We have people from every corner of the country and the world, and of every political stance, so we can see what everyone is saying.

18. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I find the commentary here is largely confined to the idiotic parameters of American politics, even when not discussing American politics.

I appreciate that not everyone feels the same way and that there may be some exceptions.

19. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

What Harrison said was disgusting and deserving of some type of rebuke and criticism. I'd be offended and angered if someone called me that, just as I'm angered when a white person uses it.

People who tolerate its use or sentiment whether in black or white settings are part of the problem. It needs to stop and that begins by chastising people using it in public or in private.

That's my soapbox stance of the day.

20. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Andrew Harrison probably hears his black teammates sling that word around in the locker room every day. Unfortunately, he internalized and used it himself, and will suffer the two-day wrath of the Professionally Outraged. Life will then return to normal.

21. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

Wouldn't Kaminsky, had this been the other way around, have been crucified (inappropriate word of the day?) for it, even though he could have made the same argument?

22. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

i got warnings that i would be banned for doing that in this forum. good luck

23. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

I've been called a Negro in a malicious way by an old white guy from Mississippi. That got me more pissed off than hearing the N word all my life combined. I guess it was his thick southern accent and the fact that the word Negro is not something I commonly hear.

Language is very relative to the way it's spoken, social geographical atmosphere, and whether the words are commonly used or not.

For example: An American women would get more angry at being called the C-word vs the B-word, being that the B-word is so common.

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Because this is a higher class joint.

25. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I've been a fan of Andrew Harrison and his twin Aaron since they came to UK, both on and off the court.

Hearing him say this really disappointed me.