Is racism one sided?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ugahairydawgs, Aug 15, 2012.

1. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Obviously white on black racism is what you think of the most when someone brings up the word....and for good reason. Our country has a shameful history in terms of race relations, something that really didn't start to get better until the last 30 years. Does this type of classical racism still exist? Sure. But I think we've come a long way as a society and we're seeing a lot of mixing of social groups in younger generations between white, black, and everyone in between. That's a great sign of how far we've come as a society.

That said. We still see racism rear its ugly head from time to time. It is not completely segregated to, but is certainly mostly found in rural areas in the south (*coughs*Mississippi*coughs*). It generally gets a lot of play on the news when violence is the end result of it all. When something like that happens it incites a lot of (understandable) anger and people line up to take shots at the south. Unfortunate, but unavoidable I suppose.

With that in mind, why do you suppose situations like the one in the link below don't seem to get as much play with the media? Why do you suppose there isn't generally as much outrage for something like this being put out there as it is when the KKK starts spouting off their non-sense?

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-...t-Be-Tolerated-Our-Feet-Will-Be-On-Your-Necks

Is there a double standard when it comes to racism? Shouldn't all forms of hate speech be found intolerable, regardless of who is being hateful and who is being the target of the hate?

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

No human group is immune from racism, whether you are the the oppressed or oppressor.

3. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I think most social scientists would include an element of power in any definition of racism, as well as a system of behaviour that maintains a power imbalance.

In any case, I think extremism from black people might not be reported as much as the KKK because the KKK has had a more violent history. Still, for what it is worth, I think black and white extremists have the same motivation for their nonsense: they like to feed their egos.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Sadly, that is true.

5. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

There is a double standard because you've got white guilt clouding the whole issue.

And usually when people get together to talk about racism from both ends, it turns into oppression olympics, which goes nowhere.

And there's plenty of racism around... a lot of it is institutionalized, as opposed to incidents. AKA the type of racism that's widely accepted and nobody bothers to question

6. TPadden macrumors 6502a

Certainly there is a double standard and your's is fairly typical of the "enlightened" liberal. I find the rural areas, even in the south, to be much more successfully integrated racially and economically than the still very segregated urban areas of the US....:rolleyes:

7. Coleman2010, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012

Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

Because the New Black Panther party is a group of maybe 30 crazy individuals that African Americans don't pay attention to and has no influence on the African American community. We ignore them like the crazies they are. It's the right wing and fox news that blows them up like they're a legitimate organization.

8. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Pretty sure that Samir Shabazz the clown of the New Black Panther Party is a racist black man.

9. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Bury your head in the sand.....it seems to work for you.

10. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

ahh yes brietbart.com totally objective...

Anyway, racism knows no boundaries.

Feeling better now?

11. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

If you want to start a discussion about Black on White racism, please link to a legitimate news source. Breitbart is known for making false claims. They are the site that edited to video of Sherry Sherrod to make it appear she made a racist statement against White farmers.

12. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Hitler was just one crazed man with a book, I guess he no nothing to be concerned with either.

13. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

Burry my head in the sand? I could go find a group of Nazis and post links and say LOOK LOOK LOOK how racist White people are!!

Which is pretty much what people are doing with the Black Panther Party. The group has no influence. Go ask a Black coworker about them and I bet they say "the who???"

14. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Ahh, yes, well, Hitler...

I guess the conversation is over then.

15. AhmedFaisal Guest

Dude, don't go there. Hitler had traction in my country and LOTS of supporters, among which were very prominently the Romney's and Paul Ryan's of the time. You can go there when these assclowns actually line up at least someone as prominent as P-Diddy (or whatever his name is lately). I am not even asking for the entire Tribe called Quest but at least one real celebrity or Black millionaire with political cloud.

That being said, anybody that thinks that genetics can protect you from being an ******* deludes themselves.

16. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

When the Black panther party starts physically attacking White people or burning crosses in front lawns or grows their membership to 100s or 1,000s I'll be concerned. Until then, I'll tell them to **** and ignore them like any other hate group.

17. ugahairydawgs thread starter macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Segregation and racism are completely different things. As someone who is from the rural south I've seen a good bit of it up close.

And I've been called many things in my life, but I would like to congratulate you on being the first to ever refer to me as a liberal.

18. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

No, he gained support over time.

He wasn't born with a lot of supporters.

19. AhmedFaisal Guest

He was born into an environment that already was inately racist and anti-semitic. Hitler was not even close to being the first and most prominent fascist of his time. Europe as a whole was deeply anti-semitic and racist during that age, the only difference was that Germany suffering under the yoke of a harsh, in parts insulting and somewhat questionable peace treaty was extra fertile ground for this type of ideology. The US is not even close to that type of environment, at least as far as minorities are concerned. In fact the one's that are driving segregationism, fearmongering and racism in this country are again sadly conservative white people.

20. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    You need to know how many races these sorts of groups identify themselves as to know how many sides there are. 10+ 50+? Are ethnic sects in Asia each considered a race?

It's certainly not white v black. And the Black Panthers are small fry compared to similar groups elsewhere.

The guys nailed it earlier on - the issue we tackle is racial oppression. Where we see it, we fight against it.

21. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

There are absolutely double standards, and it is not acceptable. The new KKK is no more or less than the new Black Panther Party...people of hate with the goal of spreading that hate. And as far as the oppressed versus the opressor, that isn't such a strong drawn line anymore. Who is an oppressor and who is oppressed is drawn by more lines today than just race. Factors such as socioeconomic status, religion, gender, etc. all play a part. If you want to talk about oppressed, then you could look at it by a variety of dynamics. I would say people with disabilities are among the most oppressed of modern cohorts. People do not classify as heterosexual are also severely repressed. Indeed classical racism still exists, but it is more institutional and implied than direct, which makes detecting it more difficult.

So should we use the past to justify current and future actions? That's a hard question. But the notion of the "white male opressor" doesn't hold up in all cases. Of course there are powerful white people that are oppressors, but that doesn't mean every white person is this by nature...yet many people fall into this trap. I challenge you to not.

22. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I actually don't hear a lot about the KKK in the media anymore. Do they get more play down South on local stations? Is it wrong of me to even ask (makes assumption that the South has more racists)?
    Personally, this country is going in the wrong direction for me. Way too much worrying about racism when it should really just be ignored (unless its depriving someone of their rights). But giving creedence to haters by even taking them seriously? Just let them die off.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    This thread is not about guns, please stay on topic. Gun control/usage is such a hot button topic, that it risks detailing this thread so please keep things on topic.

24. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

Racism these days is coded wrapped in another issue. Take birtherism. They know they can't openly attack the President for being Black so instead they question his birth and citizenship. Calling him a Kenyan. What color are Kenyans? Black!

I thought it extremely insulting the bithers demanding to see his birth certificate. It's like asking to see the pedigree papers of a dog.

25. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Yes, that's true. Gone are the days when you could be a proud member of the KKK and the town mayor. Racism has to be more subtle now. Like voter id laws....