iPad mini Is Retina worth $200 more if you can get used mini 1st gen for $200?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kendo, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

Prices are coming down on CL and I bet once the new mini is released, they will drop to sub-$200 levels. It is already $250 on Apple's refurb store so it will be much cheaper in the used market on Craigslist.

Is a Retina Display worth the extra $200 or is the 1st gen mini a steal at less than $200?

2. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

Way worth it. I haven't bought and iPad yet because I have been waiting for apple to come out with a Mini with a retina screen. It makes reading websites in portrait mode so much easier with not having to pinch and zoom in.

iPads are too big for me. Very excited about the Mini 2

3. sim0n macrumors member

I've decided to get the 1st gen mini and think its a steal at the new price, i can't justify paying £319 for a retina mini when I already have a iphone and laptop

4. Phan0121 macrumors newbie

The processor difference between the 1st gen Mini and the Mini Retina is huge. So I don't think it's fair to say the $200 difference between the two is just a Retina screen.

5. sim0n macrumors member

i definately agree, going from an A5 to A7 is a HUGE leap plus with the additional retina screen is quite a big update so this explains the price, however for people on a budget the 1st gen mini is still a good choice

6. Phan0121 macrumors newbie

Sure but performance is very important to someone like myself. If I was in the market for a 7" tablet and budget was a concern, I'd strongly consider a Nexus 7.

7. Oasismad macrumors newbie

No its not worth it. Biggest winner from the retina pricing of the mini will be the Nexus 7

8. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

As always, it depends on what you're trying to do with it. I have the original iPad Mini and will be upgrading to the retina iPad Mini. The screen on the original iPad Mini is noticeably not a retina display, but it's better than the iPad 2. It's not bad, either - I've done a fair amount of reading on it and didn't have any issues. But I also take a lot of hand-written notes on it and prefer not to set the brush strokes too bold for the sake of space and keeping my writing small (faster to write, fit more information per screen space), and a retina display would be a huge improvement in that regard.

The upgraded processor and the speed boosts that should come as a result will be a huge boon to me, as well. My wife will be inheriting my old iPad Mini, and I think it'll be a fine device for her. I don't think that it's an obsolete device by any measure.