is running mbp in closed mode for long period of time safe?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by apattee, Feb 16, 2008.

1. apattee macrumors regular

i have my 2.33 mbp with 2gb ram hooked up to a 30" monitor, and want to run in closed mode, but is it safe to do this for long periods of time? like days? thanks.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Yes, I have the identical machine bought specifically as a tower replacement. Been running for months like this with no probs at all. :)

3. apattee thread starter macrumors regular

what if i watch and edit hdtv on it? seems to get quite loud and warm with it open, so would it be okay closed still?

4. gotzero macrumors 68040

I have a 2.33 that I use in clamshell all the time.

I run apps that max out everything, to the point where I use a second node computer. The fans will occasionally start screaming, and it is does heat up, but this is all in spec.

I ordered a part that can hopefully use my video card to output to two 23" displays, and if this works out, this laptop may be turned into a pseudo-desktop complemented by an MBA or NEW MBP.

5. apattee thread starter macrumors regular

what part is that?

6. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

I use mine in closed mode, but if the fan cycles up I open the lid. You can close it again whenever its cooled down, and it doesn't turn the LCD on unless you put it sleep and wake it with the lid open.