Is Sarah Palin ready?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Sep 18, 2008.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Sen. Chuck Hagel doubts it.

It's interesting that this is coming from a senior member on the Senate Foreign Relations committee. It's one thing if it were from an opposing party. It's another if it is from your own party. It's an even better thing if it is your own party, and someone who knows what they're talking about!

I find it funny that in the article, Palin cited her state's close proximity to Russia as "evidence" of her int'l experience. Even funnier (read: dumber) is that McCain/Palin's campaign responded by saying that Biden didn't think that Obama has the experience to do it.

Sounds like an after school playground fight, doesn't it?

Anywho, points went up again for my home state (they were in the dumps from when J.J. Exon co-wrote the Communications Decency Act in 1996), with Hagel gaining some of my respect alongside Bob Kerrey. He's like the Republican version of Lieberman.. except that Hagel actually makes sense.

BL.

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Simple answer is no and with McCain being the oldest dude to run for president means guess who's running the country? a Hockey Mom. Obama with Biden's guidance seems a better choice plus when you add into the equation of what the republicans have done to the Clinton surplus and this country the past 8 years you have to be insane to vote for any republican after Bush jr.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I think we all know the answer is, she's not. It doesn't matter as she's on the ticket. All you can do is enter the voting booth and say, Thanks but no thanks to the pig pitbull with lipstick.

5. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

6. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    A dare Palin may come to regret
    http://embeds.blogs.foxnews.com/2008/09/18/a-dare-palin-may-come-to-regret/
    We're waiting Mrs. Palin. We're all waiting to see how this goes. It does strike me as odd however, that she seems to often answer the question in the future, instead of in the present tense. WILL she be ready, or IS she ready? I have ZERO confidence if she continues to keep thinking of her preparedness as a "future" exercise and not a present reality.

~ CB

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

^^ "Offering up a dare" encapsulates the McCain / Palin ticket perfectly. "What's the worst that could happen?" I dare you to find out if these two can manage to completely destroy the America I know and love... :(

8. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

But next year is like almost 4 months away. :p

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Wow

Sarah Palin by the Numbers

A few of my favorites.

10. jplan2008 macrumors regular

Hey, she went to school in Moscow (Idaho). Add that to seeing Russia from an island of Alaska, and she's a definite expert on Russia.

She always starts her life story with hockey mom-PTA-etc. Guess she's trying to leave out at least her academic history.

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Um...the last politician who dared the public to do anything was Gary Hart. Those of us who are old enough all know how that turned out.

[​IMG]

(Hint: the woman in the picture is not his wife.)

To answer the question asked: of course not. She's little more than an airhead conservative carefully crafted to look good in politics. She is Barbie to Bush's Ken.

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Conservatives Turn On McCain-Palin

And I love this one:

One thought pushes fence-sitters to the left: Palin
    Which is why the Sarah Palin Phenomenon Is Doomed

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's interesting how much bickering and infighting there is in both parties this election... I'm well known for being quite pissed off at all the Democrats and lliberals in general who kept running around saying things like, "Obama is too much of a celebrity," "Obama isn't experienced enough..." long after it was clear that he would win the nomination.

If I was a Republican, I guess I would feel much more strongly about the Palin issue, though. But it's hardly a surprise paleocons are being vocal about hating Palin. She's an avatar of neoconservatism. So of course they hate her. They've always hated neocons ... even more than they hate liberals.

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I think there's a lot to this.

There's an old saying that the candle that burns the brightest also burns the fastest. IOW, the bigger a phenomenon it is, the faster we burn out on it.

Palin seems to be following a highly accelerated Batman trajectory. Those of us old enough to remember the campy TV show know that you couldn't go anywhere without hearing about Batman for a while, but then suddenly, almost overnight, it was over and all we were left with was this odd, quirky thing.

At least if you're in the right frame of mind, Batman can still be amusing.

Not so for Palin. :D

15. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

This is one of the things that just amuses me about Palin. I've been to several countries and I currently live within an hour of Mexico. Under similar vetting, can I be an ambassador?

16. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Ambassador? Why set your sights so low? With your extensive travel and proximity to a foreign nation, why not go for a full Cabinet position? Secretary of State maybe?

17. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

That's too much pressure, I'd rather just get a cushy assignment in a beautiful European city.

If the voting machines choose McCain/Palin, I'm submitting my resume.

18. jplan2008 macrumors regular

Laura Bush doesn't think she's ready either, but that she's "a very quick study." (how many semesters did it take for Palin to get her BA?)

WASHINGTON (AP) — First lady Laura Bush says Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin lacks sufficient foreign policy experience but is a very quick study.
    In an interview Wednesday with CNN, the first lady remarked that it's fortunate that Republican presidential nominee John McCain has foreign policy experience himself.
    Still, Mrs. Bush says she has a lot of confidence in Palin. She says the Alaska governor has a lot of good common sense, and the first lady adds that she is thrilled to have a chance to vote for Palin on the GOP ticket.
    Mrs. Bush also said that she thinks Palin is being treated unfairly because she is a woman. That, the first lady says, is to be expected.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hjB9tukgmeZGE2i3_uJvtth2n2UQD93D89K80

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

"quick study" = can learn pre written talking points and repeat them quickly.

She clearly has no understanding of what goes on in the world, if she did shed realize how terrrible of a choice she is and step down.

20. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Too late for her to do that. She doesn't know what a VP does ... still ... :p

Unless she can pull off something like "The evil media is using me as a distraction from looking at the issues" kinda crap and then disappears. :rolleyes:

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

i think shes done a great job of repeating everything the McCamp tells her to. Ive looked for her perch in interviews but apparantly shes quite happy just sitting on McCains shoulder squawking something about mavericks?

22. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I have to admit when I first saw one of their campaign ads, I truly thought it was an Obama ad making fun of them. :eek:

23. jplan2008 macrumors regular

Yeah, if your "talking points" consist of a few general slogans and lies about yourselves and your opponents, that's easy.

Hopefully, in the debate she'll have to show something else. We'll see. I wonder how many names of countries, capitals, leaders, she's studying. And the world map. That's before even understanding anything about the world. I certainly haven't gotten the impression she knows MORE about the world than the average American -- which is pretty little -- and could know less. I could be wrong, but she definitely doesn't know up to what she'll need to know. McCain himself keeps saying Czechoslovakia instead of Czech Republic. Then there's the economy, and basic national government that is separate from whatever she may have learned in Alaska. Then since she knows "more about energy than anyone in the US," she'd better learn a little bit about it. No wonder McCain's trying to move the Presidential debate to the VP time slot and make the VP debate TBA.

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17