Is Seagate ST9500325ASG compatible with Alu Macbook 2.0 Ghz?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by coolquasar, May 11, 2009.

1. coolquasar macrumors member

Hi

Am planning to expand my macbook's storage capacity.

1)Could anyone confirm if Seagate ST9500325ASG compatible with Alu Macbook 2.0 Ghz??

Code:
    http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=37876c9cf9c2d110VgnVCM100000f5ee0a0aRCRD&locale=en-US

2) And if so, will it degrade my battery life (as it seems to consume more power)...

3) Will the SMS (Sudden Motion Sensor) still be actively guarding my harddrive???

4) Does replacing the stock HDD with a custom one, void my warranty?? :confused:

Thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

1) Yes it should be fine.
    2) Maybe slightly. I don't think it would be overly noticeable.
    3) Yes.
    4) Replacing the HD does not void the warranty on the entire machine, but the hard drive is no longer covered. Any accidental damage incurred while replacing the hard drive (stripped screws, or if your screwdriver slips and makes a dent, for example) is not covered. If it is determined that your hard drive somehow damages another component of the machine, Apple can refuse AppleCare on those grounds also.

3. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

word of caution is to disable the macbook's internal sudden motion sensor otherwise you will likely get a few kernel panics.

Code:
    pmset -a sms 0
    will do it. you could alternatively buy the slightly cheaper non-G version and rely on apple's implementation. there is no information on whether one is better than the other, only that you should not sue both at the same time.

4. coolquasar thread starter macrumors member

Thanx miles01110

I forgot 2 points...

5) Does it degrade my macbook's performance?

6) Does it produce noticeable (or audible) noise?

5. coolquasar thread starter macrumors member

Oh!!! This is a valuable tip, i neva knew and if kernel panic had occured i would have blindly blamed the seagate...
    I greatly appreciate it....

Just out of curiosity, is there any way to disable hard drive's SMS???

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

5) ...no? If anything I'd expect better performance -> more swap space.

6) In my experience it won't be any louder than the one it's replacing, especially if its the same speed. On 7200 drives sometimes you hear a quiet humming, but my 5400 seagate is no louder than the background noise in my office.

7. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

in terms of noise, mine remains utterly silent during normal operation, the only increase is occasionally, about once a day i might notice it, there is an audible click as the head moves to it's home position. but it's not louder spinning at 7200rpm like many desktop drives if that is your concern.

as for disabling the SMS on the drive, some other brands have jumpers that allow you to do this, the seagate does not. the only option if you prefer to use apple's SMS is to buy the non-G version.

8. coolquasar thread starter macrumors member

Oh k....i really appreciate miles01110's and your inputs into my questions...
    Thanx a lot for givin me a good insight....:)