Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

komatsu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
A husband and wife both with iPhones and MacBooks.

Husband's internet searches are appearing on wife's Macbook. He not happy...

Is separate iCloud accounts the only way to go here? If so, what happens to their existing data on their iCloud? How are is music, movies etc then shared?

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
A husband and wife both with iPhones and MacBooks.

Husband's internet searches are appearing on wife's Macbook. He not happy...

Is separate iCloud accounts the only way to go here? If so, what happens to their existing data on their iCloud? How are is music, movies etc then shared?
yes, separate iCloud accounts is best. If you have used 1 account for a long time and have all the purchases there, just sign into the app store on each phone with that account. just make sure you sign into iCloud with your own accounts. example: my wife is wife@icloud.com and i am husband@icloud.com. we have a shared iTunes account where we share purchases etc. it's itunes@gmail.com.....on both our phones, we sign into the app store with that gmail account. under iCloud, we use our own.

hope this helps

Reactions: komatsu

komatsu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2010
Thanks guys for those responses, what is the difference between:
1) separate iCloud accounts
AND
2) Family sharing?

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Thanks guys for those responses, what is the difference between:
1) separate iCloud accounts
AND
2) Family sharing?
One is an extension of the other.

Family Sharing allows you to have separate Apple IDs whilst sharing purchased content. In practice this means:

Separate iCloud account method: You each have an iCloud account that keeps your mail, bookmarks, calendars, and so on totally separate. Husband is happy. But if one of you buys an app, you cannot both use it.

Family Sharing method: You still have separate iCloud accounts but you can share purchases.

Family Sharing is the best option in my opinion. Read more about it here.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
I would just add that the only purchases you can't share via family sharing are in-app purchases. It's truly stupid, and we can all give Apple feedback saying so.

And it sounds like you really need to use Private Browsing mode in Safari.

Reactions: komatsu and Brookzy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.