Is set theory considered heretical?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Jun 7, 2012.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Louisiana is embarking on a voucher program -- the state will subsidize just about any private school. Of course, Evil-ution is at the top of the list of things the new private schools hate. But, somebody out there thinks that set theory makes the top three hates. I've never heard of this one before:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/06/01/us-education-vouchers-idUSL1E8H10AG20120601

Who knew? And what exactly are "Bible-based math books"?

2. takao macrumors 68040

takao

who knew that they still considered set - theory a "modern concept" :rolleyes:

3. Queso macrumors G4

State funding of religious based schools is also a hot topic here in the UK. So-called Faith Schools appear to currently have carte blanche to ignore entire parts of equality legislation whilst accepting state funds to indoctrinate their pupils. Even more comical is that when secularists DARE to question this the Religious Right get on The Horse of Righteousness and declare it an attack on their value system.

I would adopt the French model. School is not the place for religion. Leave that to the Church.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm sorry, but this should be illegal. Any private school that takes public money should have to adhere to national curricula. It should also be illegal to illegal to deliberately misinform people.

5. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Oh Oh, if they ban Set Theory they should ban Functions and the Lambda Calculus too. Be fair to the computer scientists, just because we can't come up with simple to understand formal systems. :p:rolleyes:

This is simultaneously hilarious and scary. If these people think if Maths is heretic they should be dropped off in the woods with nothing but the hair on their heads.

If you pray hard enough, "x" is whatever you want it to be.

6. jeremy h macrumors 6502

Ah yes, but how then would you then operate a covert selection procedure in a country where we officially operate a non selective system? ;)

7. Queso macrumors G4

Bring back the Grammar Schools and operate the system openly?

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

4% of Americans are gay. If there are 310,000,000 million Americans, and it takes god 3 minutes to sentence a homo to eternal damnation, how long will it take god to sentence all homos to eternal damnation?

Jesus left Jerusalem riding a stegosaurus that travels at 10 miles an hour. Judas left Bethlehem riding a t-rex that travels at 25 miles an hour. If the towns are 20 miles apart, what time will the two meet if the t-rex doesn't have Judas for lunch?

One nail can hold 50 pounds to a 2x4. If Jesus weights 140 pounds, how many nails are needed to hang him to a cross?

9. jeremy h macrumors 6502

As unfair as that system might be* I think it would be better than our tolerance of faith schools.

Where we live, unless you are one of the wealthy, to get your child into a decent school you have to join an organisation that not only believes openly in a fairy story, protects paedophiles and would probably be a lot happier if all scientific advancement had stopped somewhere around 1200...

Go figure...

* That's a different debate I guess...

10. Huntn, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Holy S---! The beginning of the end...

Priceless. :) This would be really funny if not for the stupidity of La. Who promotes the idea that religion in human hands is not dangerous? :(

11. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

This is thoroughly gross. Our country deserves what it gets.

12. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

That is ****ing gold

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Unbelievable. Your country is heading south as fast as its little legs will carry it.

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree completely - public money should not fund private belief systems and any schools which take public money should be obliged to adhere to the national curricula.

Fantastic post. Absolutely wonderful.....;) You have made my day with this.

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'll add my praise for yg17's witty take on faith-based math. :p

Exactly.

But even if that came to pass, I'm sure they'd find a way to circumvent it. Any national curricula would be set by the Department of Education, right?

Republicans would either infiltrate the DOE and poison the curricula, or just abolish the DOE like they've been threatening to do for years.

16. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

a) 42
    b) 42
    c) 42

Do I get a cookie?

Dale

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No, you forgot to show your work :p

18. Queso macrumors G4

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

In what sense, exactly?

20. Queso macrumors G4

42 again :D

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I love you. :p

22. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    We need to redefine what a 'school' means strictly in the context of the education system. It should be rational and empirical teachings and skills based.

Parents should be legally obligated to make sure their children attend until the age of 16.