Is shortage of launch day product going to catch up on Apple?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MartyCan, Sep 17, 2016.

1. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

I was once one of them. One of those who eagerly awaited whatever new features were going to be in the next Keynote. Drooling over the presale. Getting up at 0 Dark:30 in the morning to get in the preorder as early as possible to get the latest device on launch day. Tracking UPS flights from China. The works.

But now I'm losing interest. Why do I go to all this effort only to find that within minutes the lead time is already 5 weeks for a new product that has a few new features but honestly nothing that I so desperately need that I'll drop the bucks.

I did not preorder on IP7 or AW2. I might like an AW2 but I don't need one. I would sort of like to play with some new stuff on IP7 but my 6plus does all I need and an upgrade, unlocked would be around C$1400 with AC+ and tax. Sorry but at that kind of price it better do an awful lot more of what I NEED better. Not just take better pics and have a brighter screen and a new case color that no one will see because it lives in another case 100% of the time anyway.

Apple has done a great job hyping for years but surely it's catching up to them finally?

2. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

For us on MacRumors its getting annoying. General public not as much.

3. Denmac1 macrumors 6502a

Denmac1

Apple has fallen into a 'Lather, Rinse, Repeat' cycle. All is too predictable and the upgrades are not, IMHO, earth shattering. Keynotes are stale and though many think TC is a great CEO, I'm not that impressed. Even Henry Ford knew it took great people to make a product. The team now, is showing it's age...
    I think many of us here on MR cut our teeth on earlier models and systems and despite some of the failures of Steve, we were alway brought into the fold by his 'magical' presence. We know that can't be replaced, but the company has lost its edge with the loyalist and has gone over to mass merchant. To a point, understandably, when you can sell a gazillion phones over anybody else. I do believe that Steve did push people to do better to possibly make up for some of his shortcomings and as a result, we got 'innovation', whether it worked sometimes or not.
    As many of us have mentioned, we are getting tired of Tim and all telling us about all the great products in the pipeline. I won't digress into the lack of product updates as we are too painfully aware of this.
    As BB King lamented..'The Thrill is gone' (sigh..he is missed also.)

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

I doubt it, the Fact that they need so much launch day stock is the main take away here no one else does.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think this is a business decision that helps increase the perception that everyone wants an iPhone, I think much of the shortages are based on decision not make enough product. They revel in the idea of people camping out, for new phones, and having long lines

6. MartyCan thread starter macrumors 65816

MartyCan

The news around here was that there were still lines but a lot of them are a lot shorter than they were before.

7. lcseds macrumors 6502a

Waiting two months for a new product is pathetic. But that is what Apple does. They create artificial demand. "We're selling faster than we can make them !!". "Customer orders are off the charts !!". But, you'll never see that proven.
    You can't tell me a company this size, that knows the numbers and logistics can't deliver on time. It's become so predictable. These delay's are taking more of my interest away from Apple rather than the product. Frankly, they are missing on all cylinders for this consumer.

8. loby macrumors 6502a

loby

--- Post Merged, Sep 21, 2016 ---
    A company can ride a wave only so long and Apple is no exception.

9. RedOrchestra, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016

RedOrchestra Suspended

In today's debt-ridden society there is a tremendous disconnect between what one wants and what one needs - Apple's marketing department has an innate ability to prey on that "Got-to-have-it" element of society.

10. MartyCan thread starter macrumors 65816

MartyCan

I was one of them but Apple has not impressed me with enough yet. Heck, even planned to upgrade my MBP for the last year but have not seen anything even close to worth it.

11. weckart macrumors 68040

Not sure I am convinced that there is a genuine shortage, except whatever Apple decides to show through its own online store. Loads of carriers were showing iP7 in stock in their shops, even in a small town I visited the other day. No queues outside and the "iPhone 7 Available today!" ads were still there, unblemished by a 'sold out' sign when I passed by at the end of the day. I doubt Samsung's woes have made much of an impact on demand, either. At the end of the day, you are still asking £819 for the presumed most popular item (iP7+ 128GB) and there are few that are willing to drop that much for a phone that will be last year's news in a year.

I even noticed quite a few iP7s in the Leicester branch of CEX (second hand store). Many more than I remember of the iP6 or iP6s around the same time.