Is Siri Excluse To 4GS Only To Sell More 4GS iPhones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by disarticulate, Oct 4, 2011.

1. disarticulate, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011

disarticulate macrumors regular

Not sure why they couldn't let an iPhone 4 perform the voice assistant tasks. I'm perfectly fine with waiting a few more seconds because my processor is inferior.

edit: meant to say "exclusive" and "4S" in title.

2. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

damn it. this is the reason they should have called it the iPhone 5. IT'S NOT 4GS.

3. mountains macrumors regular

Siri just seems kind of silly to me, but that may be because I grew up in an era where all voice recognition sucked (period).

4. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

No, the CPU power and added Ram are required.

5. Man on the moon macrumors regular

It sounds like the current voice control female so the answer is yes! It's only to buy a 4S, a slightly bigger screen would have been awesome but no. They will save that for next october.

6. disarticulate thread starter macrumors regular

I read a post about this earlier. And it's absolutely wrong. An iPhone 4 could run it just fine, it just might take a few to several more seconds per request to the humble assistant.

And I'm sorry for putting "4GS" in the title. I guess it's just a habit from typing 3GS so many times.

7. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

Isn't this all done in the cloud?

8. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

When did Apple announce the 4GS? Does it have a bigger screen and tapered design?

9. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

Of course, some people don't need an 8MP camera, some people already enjoy multitasking and speed with iPhone4. Apple has to make Siri exclusive or else people will just remain with the 4 until next year but Apple has to millions of 4S this year.

10. knownikko macrumors 6502

Yeah, that's BS.

Voice recognition and speech processing are notoriously processor and RAM intensive. It's one thing to have a cutesie little standalone Siri app that can be on the processor all the time and have primary control of all the phone's hardware resources - quite another to have a constantly running process so deeply integrated into the OS.

Adding "several more seconds" to the time needed to calculate a response is the type of UI horsecrap that you'd expect in a third party Android app. The feature rapidly becomes completely useless as response time increases.

11. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Okay, enjoy your slow Siri when it's jailbroken onto 4's.

Seriously, my 4 is starting to lag on iOS 5 ... I couldn't imagine it with Siri always running in the background.

12. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You don't need the 4S specs to run it. It's just a promotional feature to sell new 4S'. Just the way the 3GS had the battery percentage and voice command features, whereas the 3G did not.

They are all in the OS; they just need to enabled via a quick tweak on JB. You don't have to install the feature, rather you simply have to 'enable' them.

13. awadeee, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2011

awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I will definitely be sticking with a happily jbed 4.3.3 until I let everyone else determine for me whether or not iOS 5 and iPhone 4 cooperate. :p

14. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

Siri requires best with a5 and 1 gig of Ram. iPhone 4 and iPad 2 don't have either 1 gig of ram or a5.

15. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Yes. just like video recording was exclusive to 3gs to so youd buy a 3gs etc etc. this is year 5 stop being so surprised.

16. disarticulate thread starter macrumors regular

iPhone 4S exclusively with Siri makes sense when thinking about the October release of the phone.

--Hardware was ready back in August
    --Silly to release 4S if Siri wasn't ready yet. It's Schiller's biggest selling point.
    --Siri is still in beta