Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nikiforidis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2017
So today and after upgrading to MacOS Mojave, I have noticed something very odd. At the beginning I didn't notice that detail but then I was like "Wait a second". It's about my computer's name. I have always used my real name on all my iDevices and on all my Apple account and services like iCloud and Contacts. What I noticed is that after the update (High Sierra->Mojave) the computer's name has changed from my real name to my nickname even though I have never provided to any of my iDevices or Apple my nickname.

1. I have never modified the computers name
  2. All iDevices are named with my real name
  3. On all Apple services I use my real name
  4. In contact's under "My card" i use only my real name

This is creepy! I have hey siri enabled on my iPhone, is it possible that Siri changed it because she can hear that all people are calling me with my nickname? :eek:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Do you want to change your computer's name back to what you prefer?
System Preferences/Sharing pane.
Another thing that you can change there, is your computer's network name.
I choose to have very different (but related) network and computer names, for each Mac that I have, so I don't have to guess which one I see on the network, for example.

I don't have any good ideas about how Siri acquired (and used) your nickname, other than knowing that Apple allows Siri to provide your name and nickname - because Apple states that is some of the kind of data that Siri records.

I think that Siri will ask about a name that Siri thinks is used as a nickname, similar to how Siri knows that if I use Siri to call or text my "sister", Siri understands that is Marcia (yet Siri usually asks which Marcia, as I have 3 in my contacts)

Reactions: Nikiforidis

Nikiforidis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2017
Another thing that you can change there, is your computer's network name.
This!

I've tried to share some internet with my phone few days ago and named the Network as my nickname, I had no idea that it will also change my computers name, I would have never guessed it if no you, thanks mate!

Siri is not so clever after all.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
This!

I've tried to share some internet with my phone few days ago and named the Network as my nickname, I had no idea that it will also change my computers name, I would have never guessed it if no you, thanks mate!

Siri is not so clever after all.

you're welcome!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.