Is Sleep/Wake-Buttongate to iPhone5 what Antennagate was to iPhone4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bobby Corwen, May 12, 2013.

1. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

My Sleep/Wake button recently became stuck in a recessed position where it didn't spring all the way up correctly for no reason.

I took it to the Apple Genius and they replaced it. (Which was nice because there were scuff marks all over where I accidentally scraped the naked back of the old one pretty bad so no its brand new again.) Apparently the ones they give you aren't refurbished they say.

But alarmingly, while I was at the "bar" with two other people, a third person came up and said their Sleep/Wake button was broken as well and they only had it a couple months.

Wow.

So, I know its not exactly science, but out of the small sample size I experienced, 50% of the issues involved the Sleep/Wake button.

Im surprised to see how quiet they are keeping this because clearly, CLEARLY, the quality of the product is secretly going down as they increasingly mass produce this thing.

Even an Apple employee Ive known for 4 years admitted to that much.

I mean, if my calculations are correct, half of all people in the world will have issues with their button at some time or another. If my sample size is to be believed.

Even if its less, its a sign that something is changing.

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

First, with an N=4 sample size, I would suggest extrapolating to the whole world is...ah...pushing your statistical luck.

Second...OT. Could we possibly drop the "-gate" thing. I would bet that few know the origin of the reference, and if they do...it's done anyway.

Third, back on topic...it is possible that the sleep/wake button problem some are experiencing is a flaw. But, your "research" doesn't demonstrate it in any way.

No offense...just an observation.:D

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Nope, because it cannot be fixed by adding a bumper. :D

Am going to say if there are enough of these cases Apple may do a fix-anytime regardless of warranty.

4. Waughy macrumors regular

Agreed, the whole adding gate to any problem that someone has is a bit lame and even sounds silly.

On topic, I have no problem with the button on my iP5 and actually have not heard anyhing about any such issue before reading this thread. Sounds like an issue with a small number of units (bad batch) rather than a device wide thing like the antenna issue with the iP4.

5. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Sleep/Wake-Buttongate? Blimey. I can't wait for the iPhone 7 with Camera-Lens-Not-Properly-Centeredgate.

6. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Watergate ... And has very little to share with this topic

7. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

You are correct. In fact I"ll take it a step further and say it has nothing in common with anything to which the "-gate" suffix is affixed.

8. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

Lol had mine replaced because of the lock button but don't think its another Antenna-gate is the same at all.

9. TheMTtakeover macrumors 6502

TheMTtakeover

My friend's doesn't work right and my GF had to get hers replaced it was so bad. Mine acts up here and there too.

10. darster Suspended

11. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

We heard Apple make an official response to the iPhone 4 antenna issues much less than six months (how long the current gen phone has been out) into the game. As such, I'd say no, this isn't the same.

For what it's worth, I have personally heard/read more people complaining about their home screen failing to work over the years throughout all iPhone models than I have heard regarding the sleep wake button.