Is someone else receiving my iMessages?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MVallee, Sep 24, 2012.

1. MVallee macrumors 6502a

MVallee

I sold my iPhone 4 on Friday after I got my iPhone 5 from UPS. I turned off iMessage, took out my sim, and hit "erase all content and settings". It did its thing and had the screen to set it up. Gave her the phone and was done.

Today I decided to link iMessage on my computer and iMessage on my phone so I added my phone number on my computer and then when I went into setting on my phone, I added one of my e-mails to the "You can be reached for iMessages at:" section. Then I got a bunch of pop ups saying my mac was now using my number, and my mac was now using my e-mail, then I got one saying "E-Mail added to ashc" and that "ashc" was now using my e-mail address for FaceTime and iMessage. The girl is sold my phone to was Ashley C. I checked "Find My iPhone" and it's still showing my old 4 on the list, but as offline.

I e-mailed her and asked if she had got any of my messages and she said no, but that her phone is named "ashc". She checked her iMessage settings and only her number and e-mail appears under the "Send & Receive" section in settings.

Did I do something wrong? Could she still get any of my messages? I have tried removing the e-mail addresses from iMessage and re-adding them and can't get the issue to reproduce. When it first happened though there was a bunch of screens popping up on my phone and MacBook and I was just clicking past them until I saw the "ashc" one. There may have been more I missed.

Please help! Thanks!

2. zachjacobs macrumors newbie

Hey, the same exact thing is happening to me...I didn't realize that my old phones where in the find my iPhone app until I read your post. Did you figure it out?

3. 7even macrumors 6502a

Your old device usually stays in the "find my iPhone" app until you remove it manually, since apple has no way of knowing that you don't have that phone anymore. Since your old device doesn't "exist" anymore (you erased all settings), it shows up on this list as offline.

4. zachjacobs macrumors newbie

That makes sense...It doesn't solve our original concerns though. I called apple support and they said it was a server error.

5. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Same thing happened to me. I checked the other iPhone though (work phone, gave to another employee) and my address wasn't listed. Not sure why I got that popup then.