Resolved Is Sprint a good networth for me to switch to from AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hieveryone, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

I feel like I'm paying more than I have to.

How about T Mobile? Are they good?

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I was with them for over 15 years, and year after year they would make excuses for why service was bad or slow. They would also make promises that (most of the time) never came to fruition. I found their customer service to be just as poor as their signal strength and coverage, not to mention their business plan.

Sprint is going under. I don't recommend using their service.

3. Bart Kela macrumors 6502a

Bart Kela

I really don't understand why people ask this question. Here's the explanation.

No one here can answer your question because no one knows where you live and the places you commonly go to.

All cellular companies have gaps and weak spots in their coverage. Even in a city, there are isolated pockets of poor reception, so just looking at a cellular coverage map on the carrier's website is not particularly useful.

You would basically need to ask your neighbors and people at the places you commonly go to (work, school, etc.).

I've had AT&T and T-Mobile service over the years and there are places where the signal is strong and places where the signal is weak for each carrier. Sometimes things improve if they erect a new tower, add new frequencies, upgrade equipment, etc. Sometimes there are downed/malfunctioning transmitters and previously good service temporarily worsens.

For me, T-Mobile service is okay at work, rather poor at home, but decent enough for most places I go to justify the monthly cost (I pay $32.53). I wish reception at home was better, but I'm connected to strong WiFi and I can always make VoIP calls. If I step outside and walk thirty yards, I get a much better signal but I really don't care.

The only way for you to find out is to try it yourself or talk to people who use their phones in the places that you frequent.

If you invite friends over to your home, ask them about their cellphone reception right there. That would be the most reliable way to get real insight on the actual performance of any given mobile operator's network at that location.

Good luck.

4. mjschabow macrumors 65816

no. Sprint is awful, you get what you pay for.

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I did switch to Verizon last December.

6. cbreze, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017

cbreze macrumors 6502

cbreze

Check out Verizon as they have some good deals. If you need a single line for instance, UL talk+text and 5GB rollover data for $55 could work but don't know your situation. I'd stay clear of Sprint.
    As mentioned networks vary in coverage. Try them out. I think they all have about 14 day bail plans if you don't like it.

7. Brandonjr36 macrumors 6502a

Sprint and T-Mobile suck. Either stay with At&t or go to Verizon. Those 2 are the only 2 carriers to have. I left att and went to T-Mobile had them for a week worse service I ever had would have rather had trackfone then T-Mobile. I then left them and went to Verizon and haven't looked back since. Verizon is number 1.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

It really mainly depends on how well the service works for you in places where you would usually use it. No one here can really say what that would be like for you.

9. Ca_lvn macrumors member

As said before it depends were you live , been on sprint since 3g its the cheapest service out there with unlimited everything no restrictions on data !

10. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

If I ever left AT&T it would be to go to Verizon for sure.

11. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

I switched my IUP Sprint 7+ to Verizon last November. After having been with Sprint for over 20 years, dealing with hit or miss service, I can't be happier with Verizon service. Now the fact that Sprint iPhone 7's aren't compatible with Verizon is a whole other storyo_O

12. betasp macrumors member

No, I went from Verizon to Sprint and really, really hated it. I said many bad words about the service and paid to get out of it about 7 months in. I just couldn't take it anymore. The penetration stunk. Inside of malls and buildings and even parts of my house created problems (and I live in a metropolitan area).

13. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

The big three VZ, att and TMO have their strong and weak areas. It all depends where you live and use your phone- any one of the 3 may be the strongest. Overall they are fairly close in reliability. I'm with Verizon and for now, they are the best network for my needs. Att and TMO also work well in my area too, just not quite as good.

However I would not recommend Sprint to anyone as that network just is weak almost everywhere and I live in a large metro area.

14. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

It entirety depends where you are. I would say go with T mobile as they are better at this point. They also have a crazy deal today where you get a free iPhone 7.

15. MikeFromTexas macrumors member

Say no to Sprint. I used them for several years and it was NOT a good experience on any level. Coverage, customer service - both very bad.

16. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68030

ATT lowered my bill by switching to a different plan so I'm staying with them. Thanks to all for hte feedback.