is static a phone or service issue?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kalexn, Oct 26, 2012.

1. kalexn macrumors 6502

Hey everyone, I am having issues with my call quality. It is about 3/4 of my calls are staticky. Now, I do have Sprint (please, I know Sprint sucks in some areas- I get it), but I have no idea if it is Sprint or if it is my phone.

I had Sprint reset all my settings twice, I have restored my phone and it is still having the issue. My sister and boyfriend have Sprint too and while they have had one or two calls staticky it is not 3/4 of them like I have.

I tested all speakers and it is the earpiece, bottom speaker and static through the headphones when I am on a call (which leads me to think it is Sprint). Does anyone have any knowledge about this?

Please help!! Thank you!

2. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

i say phone.. Sprint sucks when it comes to data.. but their voice quality is wayyyy better than the other big two. Especially ATT. Make an appointment with apple/call applecare

When i tried sprint on the 4s.. (briefly.. data was too slow for my uses) i was blown away by the call quality.. coming from an iphone 4 on att. It sounded like a 320kbps mp3 compared to a 64 kbps

3. kalexn thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I did take it in the other day and the genius went through the steps etc. We reset the phone and he said if it doesn't work bring it back and they will replace it. I am scared to because my phone is perfect minus this static issue that just started on Tuesday, it was fine before then.

I just find it odd that although they are different speakers they all have it and it doesn't do it all the time.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Sometimes it can be a network issue. While it's true that digital cellular (CDMA and GSM) don't introduce static, things like a bad circuit at the cellular switch can still make calls staticky.

In any case, you can't swap out the cell switch yourself, so the only thing you can try is swapping out the phone. If you still get static after the phone is swapped out, then the problem is at Sprint's end.

Also, silly question: you aren't using any bluetooth headsets, are you?

5. ProudLoz macrumors regular

I have a feeling this could be interference. Although, some of the interference that I've heard varied, it could sound like static or it would grable up a bit, or even sound like a CD skipping parts of a song.

6. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

haha reminds me of using a cordless land line by an active microwave

7. ProudLoz macrumors regular

Haha yeah, I have to put up with that sometimes when I'm listening to music on my wireless headset and I'm using the microwave, it's so annoying.

8. kalexn thread starter macrumors 6502

No I am not using a headset :) I had Sprint reset everything on their end and then did the ##update# thing, haha.

----------

Could be but I have no idea what I would be getting interference from. The static issue isn't only in one place like work or home but instead ranges from Nashville to my home 20 miles away and in between.

9. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

I think it is a phone issue. I just recently swapped out my Iphone 5 and have no static issues on the other end of my calls now.

10. kalexn thread starter macrumors 6502

I was afraid of that :( The phone is perfect except the static issues and I am terrified of getting one that has more issues. Of course, it is a phone and having static on 3/4 of the calls does make it entirely obnoxious, so I do need to get that fixed. Guess I'll make a genius appointment. :(

11. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

I feel your pain. My Prior Iphone 5 was flawless on the outside until the power button started to not work after the static issue. Another issue that has gone away is the roaming sign signal as it does not come up anymore when going from 3g to LTE.(Sprint here)

My recommendation if getting a replacement is check the one you get well. The first white box Iphone 5 the guy brought to me had an imperfection where the bezel meets the screen. I refused it and he brought out another that was fine.

12. kalexn thread starter macrumors 6502

I definitely will! I hope the home button doesn't stop working :(

13. Mtrell macrumors newbie

Kalexn- I live in Nashville and have the same problem. It is a service issue. They are working on the towers right now and are about to turn on LTE in Nashville. I was relieved (still frustrated though) when trying calls on a original sprint Evo that it has the same problems.

I called customer solution on Sprint and they said the network has been having problems in the last week due to tower modifications.

Just thought I'd you know that it's not just the iPhone 5. So far I've tested it on two iPhone 5's, a 4s and a 1st gen Evo and its been the same with all.

Nashville Sprint service sucks right now.