Is Steve Jobs The Most Selfish Computer Billionaire?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by macUser2007, Aug 4, 2010.

1. macUser2007 macrumors 65832

Is Steve Jobs The Most Selfish Computer Billionaire?

The Big Computer Ones, like Gates, Allen and Ellison have pledged to give at least 50% of their fortunes to charity.

See The Giving Pledge

Where is Steve?

(Hint: He is having hissy-fits about the greedy evil Flash, Java, Google, HTC and other phone manufacturers, while emailing us how much he cares).

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its his money and he can do with it as he pleases. Why criticize the man for working hard, and enjoying the fruits of his labor.

Why not consider how best you can figure out how to give away your money to philanthropy instead of criticizing someone else :rolleyes:

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

How much of your fortune have you pledged?

People shouldn't throw rocks when they are giving money out of their own pockets to charity to the extent that they expect others to cough up.

aka, you selfish bastard, you super stingy dingbat ... stop complaining about others when you spend money that could feed a family on a plasma tv. :p

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Everyone rags on Jobs for not donating, but in reality no one else knows if he does or not. Perhaps he donates anonymously like many other incredibly rich people do.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

this should end the thread. I could not have and would not have said it better. Actually, I would have been a little bitch about it. :D

6. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Who cares. Just put out more Apple gear. That's all that matters and that's all that investors care about. I couldn't give a sweet damn whether he donates anything to anyone. Just make damn well sure my Apple device works the way it should and the rest is ephemeral.

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Interesting article in The Economist this week about how wealthy people are stingier than the rest of us. Steve is just working to type.

8. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I bet Steve Jobs donates more in a month than most of us make in a year.

But to him that's like nothing, so yeah.

I guess half of a person's wealth who has $100,000 is a LOT of money than half of Bill Gate's relatively.

9. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

And how do you know he hasn't given a dime? I was always taught it was rude to pry into and judge somebody's personal life. How much money he makes and what he does with it is not anybody's concern but Steve himself.

10. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Just because he doesn't publicize his charitable actions doesn't mean you should be quick to judge the guy...it could just mean he's very private (highly likely)

11. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

I'm actually surprised by how little wealth Steve Jobs actually has. I would imagine him being closer to bill gates on the list. Maybe the top 10.

12. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

It's so funny to me when you hear about how much certain celebs donate to tragic events, like the Haiti quake, Katrina and the tsunami in 04. :rolleyes: c'mon. They're working on their PR during some tragedy?

13. UTclassof89 macrumors 6502

UTclassof89

Give the guy a break; isn't his salary $1 per year?

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Wasn't Sean Penn rowing around New Orleans with a shotgun in hand after Katrina?

Celebs will do anything for PR.

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Well said, and I agree completely.

Actually, I'm disappointed that you were so nice.;)

Agreed.

16. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I think he should be able to do whatever he wants.

17. iRance macrumors regular

Bill Gates:
    Net Worth $53,000,000,000

Steve Jobs:
    Net Worth $6,000,000,000

If Bill gives half of his money away,he would still have waaaay more than Steve.

18. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Keep in mind, that list of people is just a list of people who "say" they will donate. There is no contract that binds them.

19. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

I'd be willing to bet he does it anonymously too. And probably in large amounts.

20. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I think Steve should give half his money to me.

What? I'm a charity case. :p

21. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I'm betting Steve is richer than bill because of his stock options which usually aren't counted in net worth but i could be wrong.

22. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I totally agree and i bet he has donated money but he probarly does it in private. Most people who donate and make a huge event out of are doing it more for PR.

And your right even if it didn't it's his money and IMO he has graced society with some awesome technology so either way he's donated something.

23. Queso macrumors G4

Stock options to executives have to be declared on the company accounts. If Jobs was due $47 milliard dollars we'd know about it ;)

24. hexonxonx macrumors 601

It's entirely possible that he is very private on these matters and doesn't want any donations info leaked to the public. Some people are like that.

25. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

It is hard to beat Gates. There are some articles from the past that claimed how tight Jobs was with his own money.

I also remember the battle around one of his mansions. He let the building completely neglected in order to build a modern glass house. The local conservation societies were furious as the old building was somewhat unique from that era.

But this subject is close to my heart, because it is this very topic that produced my favourite Macrumors post of all time. A poster was arguing less than a year ago that Gates has hardly done nothing by giving his money away, whereas Jobs gave us iPods! :D I wish I found that post! I have been looking for it for some time.