Is Texas in play?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Oct 24, 2016.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

Whether or not you believe in polls, this is interesting to consider - especially since Texas is a border state. I don't think Hillary will take TX - but the fact that the margin is so low (compared historically) between the candidates says a lot.

2. Robisan macrumors 6502

Yes. My guess is the winners margin will be less than 5% = in play.

3. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Poll or no poll...I highly doubt the democrats have a chance in Texas. And I will predict that it will not even be close.

4. poloponies Suspended

The state that gave us Rick Perry and Ted Cruz?? Not a chance. Unless there's been a recent plague that has wiped out the uneducated redneck population.

5. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Nah. Texas will be a battleground state someday (which terrifies Republicans) but it's not there yet. But in two or three presidential elections, things could look different. It's not like they don't elect democrats to office there.

6. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

8. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

A preview of the future, but not one that was expected for at least a few more years. Trump has kicked a lot of things farther down the road for the GOP in the hopes department but meanwhile he gave a nice leg up to the Dems in Texas, Arizona, Colorado, Nevada... and counting.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

She won't win Texas but I think Texas will definitely be in play in 2020.

10. unlinked macrumors 6502a

According to my go to sources it is either Trump is 3% up , it is a toss up or Trump has an 85% chance of winning.
    On balance I'd say that means maybe.

11. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Absolutely agree. It's not there yet, but we're getting closer and closer.

Meanwhile, early voting started today and it was insane. Record numbers are being reported for the 1st day of voting. I went to my polling place during lunch and the line was out the door and well into the parking lot. I've been here for 11 years, so I've voted in 2 presidential elections and haven't seen anything like it. Going to wait a few days and try again.

12. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

So do you infer anything aside from general enthusiasm (well... determination) from your observations? Anything partisan?

13. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I've been involved with Battleground Texas for years now, who have been making an amazing push to register democrats and actually get them out to vote.

When I first moved here (and obviously a lot has changed) so many democrats were apathetic about voting because they didn't think it would matter in such a red state, so the hope is that all of those democrats are actually voting this year. It's why I think it's going to be closer than we've ever seen here. That said, I vote in Houston, which is in Harris County which even Obama won (along with the counties where Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio are located), so it's hard to tell.

In the election for governor, less than half of registered voters showed up and it was super frustrating because it's hard enough without just handing it to them.

That's the hope anyway. We'll find out in a few weeks.

14. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I hope there are tons of drivers to get people to the polls. It would be awesome if every single liberal in the state voted this time around just to see how things stack up. :D

15. Robisan macrumors 6502

Top Hispanic Republican in Texas says he will vote for Clinton

A leading Hispanic Republican in Texas says he has decided to vote for Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton.

Lionel Sosa, a veteran ad maker from San Antonio, told The Texas Tribune on Monday he will cast his ballot for Clinton to send a "clear statement" against Republican nominee Donald Trump's candidacy.

"I want to make sure that I do everything I can to see that Trump doesn’t get elected," said Sosa, who has worked for Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush. "I'm doing this because I don't think he's a good representative of the Republican Party. It's not the Republican Party I know."​

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Taking a half day off of work for Election Day. Just signed up to drive people to the polls in my neighborhood.

17. Robisan macrumors 6502

18. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

California has so many liberals that they're exporting them to Texas.

19. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Early voting numbers seem pretty strong in a lot of places. So I am wondering if this is answering the voter apathy question that many were speculating on giving the unfavorables of each candidate.

20. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

The Republican Party he knows is dying. Trump is a symptom, not the cause.

21. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

There is some truth to that. I remember when the Governor of Texas went to California, and started convincing businesses to move to Texas. I bet they took some of the liberalism with them. It was so funny to hear California whining, but this is what happens when you install liberalism.

22. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Texas is a hotbed of Neo-Confedarate/separatist sentiment, and is a lost cause for Democrats until minorities become the majority, especially in all the cities. At which point it could become a Democratic stronghold.

23. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Doesn't Texas have a huge minority population like most border states?

Edit: Just looked it up, 56.4% minority in 2014 from the U.S. Census Bureau.

http://www.governing.com/topics/urban/gov-majority-minority-populations-in-states.html

24. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

At least it should be purple. That statistic makes me wonder what behind the scenes gyrations go on to prevent it from being so. On a Presidential level, I'm planning on a Trust win in Texas.

25. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Maybe because not all minorities are democrat, and many of the minorities of Texas back the right :)?