Is the 15 inch MBP that much more portable than MBP 17 inch?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Romeo604, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Romeo604 macrumors regular

Hey all

Just wonderin if any of u peeps had any input on how portable the 15 inch MBP?

I have a 17 inch MBP so would I notice a lot more portability if I was to purchase a 15 inch? Thanks!

Pacey

2. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Just grad the total weight of each one and do the comparison that way. Size is really not that big of a difference, its the added weight factor that will play the biggest role.

3. Romeo604 thread starter macrumors regular

the apple site states its only around 1 pound heavier and dimension wise its 1 inch shorter L x W.

The 17 inch is a great desktop replacement but lugging it to school it does make an impact and I notice a lot of footprint space compared to my previous PB 12 inch.

Should I consider only a Macbook if I want portability?

4. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

So I am replying to you on my 17' Powerbook from my college and it is in no way portable lol. It isnt really that heavy but the extra 2 inches make it a lot larger. I am gonna have to start bringing my 12" iBook. You don't know what you've got till its gone, and Id kill to have an old 12" Powerbook :)

5. arcobb macrumors regular

6. tip macrumors 6502

tip

The 17" looks like a serving tray, in all honesty. Compared to the 15", it looks a lot larger than it is.

7. pointycollars macrumors regular

One thing that makes the 17" a little less portable is the fact that it's an odd size - I don't think any other manufacturer makes a laptop to its dimensions, making it difficult to find sleeves/cases for, or backpacks and bags that it will fit nicely in.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Companies have been making PLENTY of bags specifically for MBP 17" and PowerBook 17", for over 4 years. There are many stylish options.

No problem using the 17" MBP (even used as 17" ipod waiting in line). Although I am over 6' tall and fit. Someone 5' tall might have a different opinion.

9. Romeo604 thread starter macrumors regular

so your saying i would notice a lot more portability in a 15 MBP?

10. TrueShotAura macrumors newbie

I think the 15" is perfect.. 13" gets too small at times and I like to have 2 windows open alot. The 17" I've never owned but i've seen it and its far too big for my tastes

11. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Without a doubt yes! I have a 17" MBP which work provided me and I have a 15" MBP at home (my GF uses). I can tell you there is a very big difference. Up until recently I did travel across the country quite a bit and the 17" MBP isn't a very good travel machine. On Jetblue its not so bad, but other airlines you can't move while using it.

Finding a good laptop bag (that doesn't add serious weight) can be a bit of a challenge with the 17" MBP.

Regardless, I wouldn't want a 15" MBP. The screen is just too small.

12. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Dude, SPACES solves the exact problem of having too many windows open....

13. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

They do make cases for the 17", but after getting mine I realized they were all over $75 on store shelves and the 15" cases were under $20. I ended up making a trip to the Apple store to pick up a sleeve for $35. This wouldn't be that much of an issue if the Apple store wasn't so frikin far away and I wasn't so impatient I couldn't wait for an online delivery :)

14. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

I wouldn't exactly describe the 17" as portable so much as luggable.. ;)
    15" fits nicely into a backpack, 1440x900 res is fine, I use an external 22" for work anyway as anything below 19" just makes life hard when you're using several apps/component panels etc.

15. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

But it does not allow two or more windows to be viewed simultaneously on a single desktop which is important for some people.

16. tip macrumors 6502

tip

Most definitely.

I agree with TrueShotAura above. The 15" is the perfect union between maximum usage, comfort, and portability.

To me, the 13" is too small (if it handled higher resolutions, I might think differently), and the 17" is too large. Not to mention it is more on par with the 17" rather than the 13".

On top of that, 15" WS is a very common laptop size, and so you'll find a good selection of options to carry it around.

17. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

I've always felt that anything 17'' and over is a desktop replacement. Honestly, for school, you'd probably do fine with a 13'' MacBook. It's a great size and is lightweight, meaning you can have it in your backpack all day and hardly know it's there. 15'' is alright, still portable, but for me, I don't need a notebook computer that big. When I want a large display, I have my iMac.

18. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

There are nice bags for 17" at $50 retail, $30 after rebate.

As to portability, no problem with 17", but I am over 6' tall. Someone 5' tall might have a different opinion.

19. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

I dont really live in a metropolitan area so my options are pretty much Best Buy, Circuit City, Staples, and Wal-Mart. All of which didnt carry 17" cases or they were overpriced and underfeatured. Where did you go? I would actually love a new bag :)

20. ggpike macrumors member

I have a 17" MBP and find it to be very portable. For me, I need the bigger screen for work (work SPACE) that a 15" will not give me. I really don't see that much difference between the 15" and 17" in portability. Two of my friends have 15" and one has a 17", and all of them have no problem with portability. I guess if the weight of the 17" really makes that much difference to you, then by all means go for the 15" . . but I find that the weight involved is negligible. I don't really understand when people say the 17" is not portable at all. . . I mean, I used to carry around an 8lbs Dell and managed. I'm not by any means a weightlifter and am pretty much on the skinny side and the 17" has never posed a problem with me in terms of weight and portability. Now, the space the actual computer takes up, as another poster said in talking about using it on an airplane, that could be a different story.

21. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

A 17" MBP is way better then other 17" laptops out there. It portable if all you are bring is the MBP. Start bring other things and the weight adds ups.

22. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=TCG200

CompUSA or circuit city had it on sale last year a few times with rebate but not right now. I've done good amount of research, and this is the bag under $100 that meets my needs (and it doesn't look like a laptop bag). I thought I was going to marker over the brand, but didn't do it.

Also, the 17" MBP weights the same as many 14" and 15" wintels.

23. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I have a 17" MBP, and I used to have a 15" PB G4. The screen 17" is awesome, but that comes with an obvious price.

The 17" feels much bigger and heavier than the 15". Take a look at them side by side in the Apple store and you will see what I mean.

I have thought about moving back to a 15" next time, but I just don't travel enough (where space is an issue), to give up the larger screen...

24. heatmiser macrumors 68020

As I said in the other thread, I saw someone using a 17" MBP in class today. He looked ridiculous. There were at least 6 or 7 other people using MBs in class, and they didn't look out of place, but the guy with the MBP sure did. Personally, I've had two slim 17" laptops, and I don't think I'll ever get another one. They're just too big to take with you without some degree of hesitation. My 15" was better, but the best two so far have been the 12" iBook I briefly had and the Macbook I currently use. The iBook was even better than the MB, due to its age and thicker shell, which made me less hesitant about toting it with me. But either is miles beyond a 17" in terms of portability. If you want to use one anywhere other than your desk, make it 15" or smaller.

25. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

15" is the sweet spot for people looking for performance and portability in one package.