Is the 15" worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by applefanboy4739, Aug 11, 2011.

1. applefanboy4739 macrumors member

I'm thinking of either buying the baseline 13" or the baseline 15" mbp. I want one as soon as possible so I want to just spend the $1099 and get the 13", but I would probably regret not shelling out enough for the 15". I was just wondering if the extra screen real estate and specs are worth the extra $600

2. Skream macrumors member

I don't think it's worth it for screen size alone. Maybe for the better GPU

3. Minhthien macrumors 6502

Way BETTER CPU too!

4. applefanboy4739 thread starter macrumors member

So should I go for the 15"? It would take me like another monthmormso to get it. I'm just not sure if I'd want to or not. Even though I would love the 15" a lot more.

5. Sam235 macrumors member

Sam235

both of them are great, but if u don't plan on upgrading your computer for a while go with the one that has the higher specs in this case the 15'', :D

6. Chiuy macrumors 6502

On my person preference, I would go with the base 13" i5 and upgrade it to a SSD for $200 if you have the money. It'll be blazing fast.
    Unless you need the graphic card on the 15" and the cpu to do stuff on the way.

But even still, what I do, I paid $999.99 for my 13" i5 and $200 SSD.
    Totaling $1289 with tax and my 13" can do stuff at blazing fast speed.

But instead of paying $1799+ for the 15", I'm using that $700 to buy me a windows desktop that is twice as fast as the 15" MBP.

7. applefanboy4739 thread starter macrumors member

Well the faster gpu I think would be worth the money, but I'm not sure aboutnthe wait

8. lindstedt56 macrumors regular

The screen is the main thing for me. The 13 is low res.

9. applefanboy4739 thread starter macrumors member

Well in all truth, I wasn't going to go for the true baseline 15". I was gonna get the high REs glossy with it but that's the only enhancement.

10. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

The only thing that a SSD does is speed up how fast files open. This creates the "snappy" illusion; you can stick a SSD in a 8-year-old laptop, and watch it become usable before your eyes. However, a dual-core will always lack raw power when compared to a quad-core.

Any CPU-intensive processes will benefit from the 15". Any GPU-intensive processes will benefit from the 15". SSDs won't improve the performance of either.

The MacBook Pro is arguably one of the fastest laptops on the market; only thing it lacks is graphics power, and for good reasons: heat and battery. No other laptop will give you the battery life of the MBP while retaining the monster performance.

11. harmonica01 macrumors 6502

I went on and got the i7 dual core 13" since I spend most my time hooked up to external screen. This lappy will be the wife's once her 08 macbook unibody stops warranty coverage next year; and she really didn't want a 15 for some reason.

If the 9400m was able to multitask with as much as I do..I'm sure this i7 dual core will be sufficient for my semi-pro needs since rapid weaver and photoshop work I do aren't THAT rough.

I am holding back on buying a 15" until next refresh but I intend to max it out on build to order options. Lord willing if business continues well enough it will be my first mac to pay for in cash, so *sniff* big moment for me.

12. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

I sincerely hope that big moment happens for you.

13. randomrazr macrumors 65816

is it worth the extra 350 dollars over the 2.0ghz model?

14. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

I too am torn between the base 13" and 15".

Will be upgrading from an 06 BlackBook I currently use which as served as both my portable computer and my primary desktop when at home with external display.

One thing that I hate about the 13" is they decided to remove the extra audio line in port which I use quite often. Otherwise I like the smaller size of the 13".

Also not having a quad core worries me a bit as I can see Apple dropping support for dual core in a few years much in the same way they dropped the core duo 32-Bit CPU with lion and I'd like to at least get another 5 years out of my next Mac.

15. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

the more important question is, what do you plan on doing with this computer? Our answers and suggestions will depend on your answer.

I had a 13" MBP for 2 years and got TONS of work (video editing) done on it with no problem at all. I just upgraded to the base model 15" with the hi-res anti-glare screen. I wanted the extra CPU power, dedicated GPU and bigger and better screen. These specs benefit my work.

16. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

For myself, I forgot to add that part. Mostly it will be used similar to what I use my current MacBook for as both my portable and main computer. Most of what I do I would like to think is general usage. Your standard web surfing, watching video, playing music, etc.

I don't particularly play games since I have an Xbox although it might be cool to load something up like Sims 3 or L4D on it once in awhile.

I also use it to run other operating systems under VMWare Fusion and use it help repair other computers. This is something that is pretty painful slow on my current Macbook. Also burning Optical boot disks go along that(something that the next mbp might loose if I wait for it) since its still the most reliable method to Boot PCs.

Then from time to time I edit or record audio and would like to get more into this along with beat making, etc into the future with things like Ableton live and possibly even Serato. I also encode video on occasion myself usually to be played back on my Apple TV or Xbox 360.

17. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

Oh yeah. I guess the advantage for me with the 13" is I could use the extra money to go out and buy a nice big 24" monitor for use at home. Loosing the audio input line is killer though unless I can get a cheap usb accessory that does both analog/mini toslink audio for around $50 or so.

On the other hand 15" has more power and thus may last a few years longer. Problem is it might be too big for my desk were I currently have my black macbook lol. I use external 17" display combined with the internal display for a dual display setup.

Seems like either way I cant win :D

18. fingerman macrumors member

The dedicated GPU and higher resolution swung it for me, I'm glad I went for the 15"

I actually cancelled the order of a 13 for the 15 - but as my wife is constantly cursing her crappy HP thing I'll be ordering a 13" MBP in the near future - just to shut her up :)

19. Merkyworks macrumors 6502

i had a 13" 5,1 build and have since upgraded to a 15" 8,2 build. I do miss the smaller form factor the 13" had but the gain in screen resolution (anti-glare screen) has more than made up for it, not the mention the quad core (2.0) cpu is a power house. I really do love my 15", I can actually use it as a desktop replacement and the screen is big enough to not cramp my work flow and if I need more space i utilize spaces (stuck with SL for now so I still have spaces :D), it is powerful enough that I can use handbrake and encode a DVD movie is about 20-30 min depending on the movie, then when i want to be portable i can get a solid 5+ hrs of usage. l ♥ my MBP