Is the $1799 13 inch Retina MacBook Pro great for me?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boombox15, Dec 28, 2013.

1. boombox15 macrumors regular

Hello everyone

I ordered a 27 inch iMac with a 512GB SSD on December 26 and now I am going to buy a MacBook Pro to go along with it.

I have my eye on the $1799 13 inch Retina MacBook Pro, but I don't know if it would be as nice as my iMac that is coming soon. My other choice is the $2599 15 inch Retina MacBook Pro, but that is a little pricey and a little too big for my liking. But I will buy that if I TRULY need it.

On the computer, I would

Use all of the pre-loaded apps
    Download More from the Mac App Store
    Store photos in iPhoto
    Edit photos in Aperture
    Make movies in iMovie
    Use iWork for making documents

The 27 inch iMac configuration I ordred is:
    3.2GHz Quad-Core i5
    8GB RAM
    512GB Flash
    Ge Force GT 755M

The 13 inch Retina Pro I am thinking of has

2.6GHz Dual-Core i5
    8GB RAM
    512GB SSD
    Iris Graphics

The 15 inch Retina Pro I am thinking of has

2.3GHz Quad-Core i7
    512GB SSD
    Ge Force GT 750M
    16GB RAM

I may just go with the 13 inch for price and portability, but I am still considering the 15 inch. I am wondering if the Iris is enough for me. And how it would compare to my iMac

Thank you!

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

You're doing nothing that requires a dGPU, so any of the 3 would work perfectly. I'd go with the 13" if you want portability. 15" if you still want portability but also want power then the iMac for max power out of the 3 config you have.

3. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Personally, I would recommend the 13" rMBP. It's more than powerful enough for your use. If, however, you feel that you must have the extra screen real estate of the 15", go for the lowest model and upgrade the SSD as required.

Regards
    Raptor

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

With the 27'' iMac, I would either add a 13'' rMBP or even an MBA. I don't see why you would need a more powerful laptop since you have the desktop. On the other hand the 13'' laptops offer good portability and battery life, so they nicely complement the 27'' iMac.

Why do you need the same amount of storage on the rMBP? The $1499 model should be good enough, and you can put the remaining money into some solid backup + external storage solution for both machines.

5. mhdena macrumors 6502

why do you think a macbook pro "goes with an imac'?:confused:

I bought an Imac to replace an aging 2006 Imac last month.

I bought an Ipad air to replace an ipad 1 with the $200 Target trade-in.

I also ordered a 13" Retina Macbook Pro, to replace an aging 2006 black Macbook, but canceled it yesterday, because

I don't need it:D

When I'm working my Imac does the job, when I'm not my ipad is more than capable of doing what I would be doing on my laptop watching TV, etc.

I think laptops will become redundant sooner than later.

6. princealyy macrumors regular

I dont think laptops will become redundant ... i think desktops will ... but either way ... i think the 13" laptop will be enough for your needs, if you live near a micro center you will get $100 off the laptop ... I was going to buy one of these, but something came up and I will need to delay my purchase.

7. Chevelle macrumors regular

If you're worried about the 13", why not upgrade to the i7 and 16 gigs? It's $2200 I think. That's what I'm doing, with an external monitor.

Maybe that's what you should do instead of having an Imac and a MBP. You could save $1000+.

8. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

if you already ordered 27 inches iMac then you should go with 13 rmbp. :apple:

9. boombox15 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, I think I will go for the 13 inch because even though I have a big 27 inch iMac coming, I still think that 13 inches is good enough. I think it's best to have a smaller screen for easier portability, and a larger desktop screen since portability doesn't matter.

I know the 8GB RAM is enough, 512GB Flash is plenty, so all I am thinking of now is about the processor. I see that the geekbench scores for the 2 are about 6600 on the 2.6 and about 6800 on the 2.8.

With my uses, will I be doing anything that would make it a good idea to get the upgraded processor? Or am I fine with the 2.6?

And also, how come a standard model would take over a week to arrive despite being able to ship within 24 hours? Are those dates accurate?

10. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Haven't you posted like 10 threads asking which rMBP to get?