Is the 1TB PCIe SSD higher density (slower) or more chips (faster) than 512GB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Starfyre, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

As the topic states, is the 1TB SSD slower than the 512G? Is it "higher density" or does it consist of more chips on rMBP? Just to get an idea if your 500 dollar investment in the 1TB drive would actually sacrifice performance by a little bit.

2. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

If they are of the same brand and generation and there is no bottleneck (by the use of a SATA controller for example), higher capacity SSD are always more reliable and faster than lower capacity SSD.

If you got the money, it's never a bad idea to upgrade SSD capacity since it's not just a storage upgrade but also a performance and durability upgrade.

3. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

4. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

A little? :p

It goes from 720MB/s write (256GB & 512GB SSD) to 977MB/s write (1TB SSD). That is more than a little. But would you notice it in normal usage? No. But still it is very much faster in benchmarks.

5. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Where's the posts with the tests for them? I was looking at them yesterday, but I can't find them now.

6. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

7. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

This is nuts! You have the exact BTO model I want (top 15", maxed). How do you like it?

8. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

I love it, it is a dream machine. Incredibly fast, I'm using it at the scaled resolution where it is 1920x1200 effective desktop area and it is not lagging at all, scrolling is perfectly smooth, activating mission control is smooth.

The SSD is insanely fast, the machine boots in 5-6 seconds from a cold start. This thing beats my old 2009 MBP (With SSD aswell) to the desktop before my old model even has the startup chime begin.

It's really cool too, the 2.6GHz CPU runs very cool, my old MBP at idle with no apps open is 69c my new Mac under a normal work load (Video watching, VNC running, this browser window and transferring files over Gigabit ethernet) is 58c right now.

It's silent, fast, compact, the screen is gorgeous. Perfect laptop.

9. Starfyre, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013

Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68000

Starfyre

That is wonderful news! How is the battery life (when you get the chance to do a test)? It seems like all the 2.6 owners so far have relatively low battery life compared to what non-2.6's have posted. Its a concern of mine as being able to survive an 8 hour flight would be amazing.

10. NewYorkRanger, Oct 28, 2013

NewYorkRanger macrumors regular

NewYorkRanger

Quu, Can you post a boot up video?

I just ordered the exact same machine.

11. bugout macrumors 6502a

I have the same machine and mine arrived today as well. I'm "upgrading" from a maxed out 2012 retina, so I'm not seeing much difference.

My large windows VMs open noticeably faster thought.

12. studio347, Oct 28, 2013

studio347 macrumors newbie

I'm getting the exact same laptop soon. Anything I need to be aware of…?
    Is it cool enough as you indicated...? Do I need to have the laptop cooler? Any advices would be welcome before buying this... :) I'd love to have the nMP. But because of the mobility, I decided to get this… I'm expecting a lot of travels...the 16 Ram seems to be a bit small for my usage. The fast flash storage inside might be helpful a bit… when I need more ram while using Photoshop….Sometimes, my working photoshop file goes near 10 GB.. I'd love to have 32 Ram MacBook Pro in the future though… For the portable BU storage, I'm thinking about Samsung EVO 1 T with a Firmtek mini swap USB3 to match the internal 1 T storage. Do you want to share your opinions? Thanks in advance...

13. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

You actually spent $3,000 on this thing?? That's a crazy amount of money. I'd be nice if the 13" had a dedicated GPU like it should. The only reason Apple is not putting a dGPU in the 13" is so that those who want/need it have to shell out almost a thousand dollars more for it. Oh the joys of being a huge greedy company.

14. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

The 13" GPU is actually quite decent.

15. Benk3350 macrumors member

I agree that they are a huge greedy company...

But I thought that not putting a dGPU in most of the models was to let people see that integrated graphics have come a long way and are very powerful on their own. They want consumers to embrace this, because for so long when you hear integrated graphics you think garbage. The Iris and the iris pro are very decent integrated graphics. I don't think you give them enough credit.

16. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

Nah I didn't pay $3,000 USD. I paid $4,500 USD. And that will balloon to $5,000 USD once I add Apple Care. :)

The joys of living in the United Kingdom.

----------

I've not done a battery life test yet I use my notebook plugged in most of the time, simply having a portable machine I can move around with me from place to place is why I use a laptop.

17. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Those are darn impressive numbers. I didn't know that when I upgraded to the 1TB SSD in my 13" rMBP. Thanks for doing the testing.

18. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

I redid the test today with nothing but the disk bench running (I had a few things open last time)

http://i.imgur.com/zKBGjG9.jpg

The score actually went up to above 1000MB/s on write speed and 878MB/s on read speed. The read speed actually hit 900MB/s at one point but only momentarily.

19. patrick001 macrumors member

patrick001

I ordered the same BTO as you and am NOW EXCITED. How about battery life though? Other users with same configuration have been reporting 4 to 5 hours max. Blegh.

20. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

I've not been able to test battery life yet. I mainly use my notebook plugged in. But what I can tell you is when I did unplug it for a brief period OS X gave me an estimated run time of 6 hours and 19 minutes.

21. d0pefish macrumors newbie

This is awesome, Quu. :) Thanks for the benchmarks.

I also have the same configuration on its way to me.
    It cost me dearly too (UK here also) but I'm lucky in that I could use the University discount (15% off + free 3yr AppleCare). I only get to use it once so I thought I'd go all-in.

Even more excited to receive it having seen this! It got dispatched yesterday, woohoo! :)

22. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

Wow those ssd speeds are incredibly fast! Especially for people coming from HDDs or sata 2 devices!

23. bigpoppamac31, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013

bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

Well I have been waiting to see what these new MBP offerings would be and to see if Apple would officially discontinue the cMBP. I have a 15" MBP (early 2011) with the "hi-res anti glare" display. But mine only has the AMD Radeon HD 6490M 256 MB dedicated card and the Intel integrated card. It also has a quad core i7 processor. I was going to upgrade to a now last gen cMBP so I could get the 1GB graphics, USB3 and faster specs. Also cause I want to have two HDDs or SSDs in my Mac which I can't do on the rMBP. I want my next Mac to last me a long time. But the new rMBPs seems very appealing to me. mainly cause I can now get 1TB of "hard drive" space. But I'm worried about the integrated graphics. Now the only way to get the dedicated graphics is to buy the hi-end 15". It's not even an option for the 13" or lower end 15"s. How would this new Intel Iris Pro compare to my current graphics cards?? Would the new 13" be a solid upgrade for me? Or would I be better going with a refurb of now last gens cMBP with hi-res antiglare screen and 1GB graphics card?? The 13" rMBP only has dual core i5 or i7 compared to the 15" quad core. I'd at least want the i7 but is there a big difference? Also I'd want to get the 16GB and 1TB SSD right away but that puts me at $2749 (Canadian) plus taxes. The 15" cMBP I'd get is $2249 plus taxes.

----------

Oh okay. Well that's even more money then. I hope it's last a long time for you to make it worth the financial setback.

24. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

As uncouth as this sounds this isn't a financial setback for me.

25. Guy Mancuso, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013

Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

I may be selling mine below in my signature. Its about as fast as you can get in the Classic. Im after the TB 2 ports with 2 ports more than anything.

I have 2 SSD drives loaded in the classic one to run the OS and Apps the Samsung 840 Pro and the second in the optical drive a Samsung 840 500gb. I have the second drive partitioned in two with a backup OS and than storage which I put all my images on when traveling plus my music is on this drive as well to keep the OS drive freed up more. Pushing data between the two drives is extremely fast. If anyone is interested let me know. Its in great shape with a very very small nick on the front left corner and a small one next to the trackpad. otherwise perfect condition