Is the 2016 MBP keyboard more prone to finger oil than the 2015 rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Shermy, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Shermy macrumors newbie

Shermy

I had the 2015 13" MBP for about two weeks, the keyboard looked flawless when I returned it to purchase the 2016 15" MBP.

Having it now for three days, the keyboard looks like it's getting some oil spots on certain keys. I've also noticed oil spots in reviews of the 2016 MBP on YouTube...so before I use my new beauty, I always make sure my hands are good and washed/dry. My hands are also not oily kind of hands.

Is anyone noticing the new keyboard is perhaps more finger oil prone than the previous keyboard version?

2. Ovedius macrumors 6502

Ovedius

3. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Once there's oil on one key it will spread to the others quickly whether it's the 2016, 2015, 2012 or any Apple laptop. All you can do is clean it right away once you spot it, otherwise it's done for.

4. Sanpete macrumors 68020

5. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

Perhaps more prone to showing finger oil, would be more correct. I doubt they actually attract more. They are maybe a little smoother texture than some keyboards though, so maybe a little more likely to show the oils on them?

I really only notice it if tilted to certain angles.

6. GtrDude macrumors regular

I noticed mine got more slippery after using it for a long time vs. the other MacBook keyboards.
    I ended up returning my 2016 MBP, not because of that but mostly because I couldn't get used to the new keyboard and ended up developing major wrist pain, plus oh so many other reasons I hated it.
    Anyway, once back to the Air I was also back to no problems.
    I type on my keyboards just about all day and I would say that the 2016 MBP keyboard may be ok for emails and forum warriers but for typing all day? All of us who do and got one of those machines ended up returning it.
    Plus the keyboard was waaayyy too light a touch for all of us at my office who tried.

7. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Actually, a lot of people who type all day love the new keyboard. It's really an individual thing, some love it, some hate it. I suspect those with a light touch tend to like more.

8. MrGuder macrumors 68020

To the OP, yes I'd agree with you that I've noticed the 16" keyboard does seem to leave more oils or make it look like that way. I've noticed it with the track pad as well but I have SG and think that makes it worse too. If it's a problem just use a dry micro fiber towel to wipe it down.

9. chiamac macrumors member

What is SG?

10. PieTunes macrumors 6502

PieTunes

Space gray.

11. GtrDude macrumors regular

Sure, and Actually, everyone in my office returned their computers and went back to the old Pro and Air. I'm now using a Lenovo x1 Carbon for my typing projects and it's absolutely awesome and I love Win 10.
    I still use Apple, just not for typing, and hopefully one day they will make the required finger pressure on the keyboard adjustable.
    But the dust cleaning and squeaky sounds and the whole pressing a key and nothing happens is just too much for pros who need to really use the keyboard all day.

12. Sanpete macrumors 68020

I don't think only pros need a keyboard that works. Anyone with a keyboard that doesn't should return it, of course.

13. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

The fact that it is SG and likely the larger size of it. I notice fingerprints more on my iPP more than I do on my phone. The bigger the surface the more likely you are to notice I think.