Is the 27" iMac (late 2015) a good buy? + What upgrades?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Smarky, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Smarky macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I have been waiting to upgrade for awhile, waiting until it was 1) truly needed and 2) I felt the system was right for the amount of money it costs. What is the opinion here, is now a good time to buy the 5k iMac if you plan to keep the system for a considerable time?

I am currently running a hackintosh 1.8 core2duo, 2gb ram, GMA950 onboard graphics and lion bought in 2007 and upgraded with an SSD. I really need to update, but I am considering a cheaper stop gap solution vs a full blown imac 5k, depending on if now is the best time to put the money down.

For me as far as I can see (correct me if wrong):

The processor upgrade to the i7 is worth it and a non brainer for me, if I am paying this amount of money it seems silly to only have an i5, the extra 0.7ghz per core and hyperthreading seem too make a good deal.

SSD over the fusion drive for reliability and speed reasons and 256gb is the same price. 512gb seems like a worthy upgrade option, however I only have a 50gb SSD right now which suits me fine (although it is paired with a 1tb HDD, this is only for media, external a good option here with 256gb ? or upgrade to the 512gb?

Graphics card upgrade: on the surface seems like a good idea, but I read on here about the heat throttling issues with the m295x and so far the info seems that the m395x is fairly similar to the m295x, does this make the upgrade worthwhile?

Memory will stick with stock configuration and upgrade from third party at later date if needed, since this is possible and cheaper.

Am planning on using the machine for home use and design/development work and likely audio recording/production (although this is not a big requirement at this etc moment, will likely be required longer into the machine's life)

I hear about big updates to GPU's coming next year and the GPU in the iMac being poor, also Apple have kept the iMac design for some time now, so maybe due a refresh? A temporary machine could be purchased and sold if it is worthwhile waiting for next years models etc, if you consider I am looking at getting around 5-8 years life out of this.

2. Smarky thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay... I have been following these forums and looking religiously for what spec would be best to by and I was looking at some geekbench benchmarks, everyone is having a good debate and I am trying to decide which upgrades to get... so I decided to benchmark my current machine..... ummmm.....

single core: 966
    Multi core:1701

Haha !! I am guessing this will be quite an upgrade ;)

3. colodane, Oct 24, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2015

colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

Yes, it is possible that there will be a major packaging/appearance redesign next year. But no guarantees either way. Also extent of redesign is anyone's guess. One major shoe that is yet to drop is the inclusion of USB-C interface.

If you decide not to wait I would recommend the mid level product with the M390 GPU, given that you don't have a lot of intensive video editing. Also get SSD if you possibly can.

4. twilexia macrumors 6502

I think the 512 gb ssd is worth it as 256 is laptop sized and seems too small if you're gonna be installing applications on it in the future.

For graphics card it's only a 50$ difference between the i7 m390 and i7 m395 so I think that upgrade is worth it. Not so sure about the m395x, seems like it's worth it if you need the extra 2gb vram.