Is the 3G worth the upgrade/ or should I wait till the next generation?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by I'm a Mac, Aug 23, 2008.

1. I'm a Mac macrumors 6502

I currently have the first generation iPhone, and I know that I could sell it to justify the cost of a new one, but do you think that the new one is really so much better? [And, should I sell soon before they figure out how to unlock the 3G?] I definitely wish I had 3G (edge is unbearable), gps is really cool, the new headphone jack really makes life easier, and I like the new case design.

I know that there are software/ 3G coverage issues, I think (correct me if I'm wrong) a lot of them have been fixed. Also, how is battery life? Is it really that bad compared to the first generation? Does 3G speed make up for lost battery life?

Lastly, do you think that they will come out with a new device in June/July again? What could be in the next version that can't get fixed by software updates? I don't really want to wait a year, but if it means a truly better device, I guess it'd be worth the wait. Or am I better off waiting like a month or two to get the major bugs fixed. [even though I kinda really want one, but then on the other hand, I guess I'd be upset if a really really cool one came out by this time next year.]

I'd really like to hear what you guys have to say.

2. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

Well i was in your situation since july 11th. I had my first gen since feb. and when the 3g came out i wanted it. But i decided to wait. I love my first gen and was very happy with it. We got 3g in Shreveport where i live so that didnt help the cause. I personally thought the 1st iphone looked way better. But i would call the AT&T store here occasionally just to see if they had any in the store because the Direct Fill was not for me. When i but something i want it then. I had probably called 50 times and then on thursday they said "sir we have about 10 Black 16g 3gs" so then i had to make a decision. Well i pulled the trigger. I got one. I must say although the feel is different it is good. 3g in my area is great and the gps is pretty cool. I would strongly recommend the upgrade.

3. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

if you're one of those people who always thinks about holding off till the new thing comes out then you'll be waiting forever because theres always gonna be something new to wait for.

if you like it, get it

4. I'm a Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

true, you have a point. Right now I really want to buy one except I heard about some issues with 3G in the NYC area...although I do live on long island. hopefully that'll be fixed soon, but I can test it out in the store.

But do you think that they'll come out with a new device in june/july 09?

Also, should I hurry to sell my 2g one? Once they can unlock the 3g will no one buy the first gens anymore?

5. ogdogg macrumors 6502

If you don't have any need for GPS then I would suggest waiting. I actually liked the feel of the first one better. :(

6. I'm a Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

well, i have a terrible sense of directions, and gps would prevent me from getting lost.

but I'm still wondering if the time to sell my first gen is dwindling and if there will be a new handset by june/july 09.

7. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Yes, there will be a new handset next July (I predict there will be two models, actually). At the very least it will have hardware updates like better processor, more RAM, larger flash memory, improved camera, etc. I predict it will have video and MMS as well. I know people keep saying these can be added in software updates, but guess what - it hasn't happened yet, so I am not holding my breath. Furthermore, if you upgrade now at the subsidized price, you may not be eligible for an AT&T phone upgrade next year and would end up having to pay full price.

Personally, I am quite happy with the 1st gen phone and will not be upgrading to the 3G. Getting access to the apps was enough of an upgrade for me. The GPS functions are not developed quite yet on the phone. All it can do now is show you your position, but can't give directions or anything yet. 3G internet is nice but drains battery faster and if you have access to wi-fi it somewhat nullifies the benefit of 3G. A phone plan with the same features will also cost you $15 more per month with the 3G. Lastly, the original is just that - an original - just like a classic car or a Nintendo. When I upgrade to a better phone in the future I will be glad I still have it.

8. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/

edit: how interesting.. att is no longer showing their 3g coverage on the map

you need to click on the small link, then go the state, then city, it will then show you the 3g map coverage ( cannot save url)

basically if you don't live in a 3g city DO NOT buy the phone, its not worth the increased cost

gps at the moment is a novelty until we get turn by turn directions ( its not very safe to drive at the moment using the iphones gps directions, as you need to constantly switch to the next step)

9. ishopukisfake macrumors regular

From initial use I'm noticing 3G does drain the battery quicker than using the internet through the normal speed. So i've found if you want to extend the battery life I turn off 3 G and just use the normal way and wait a bit. However 3G could really have it's uses depending on the situation, if you needed to access some info really quickly or were able to recharge - it really does go fast, almost as quick as wifi at times which is cool.
    I've only just now turned off location services, so maybe 3G usage will extend.

Regarding the bugs, i got mine a few days ago and it works perfectly, haven't had any problems.
    With apple or any technology there is always the kind of russian roulette of when to buy and when to wait, in the future there will definitely be upgrades, isight camera on front of handset for video conferencing, higher resolution cam, more memory.
    There's always going to be memory upgrades I think, so it depends if you value the 3G and faster data speeds enough to warrant an upgrade, and that depends if you have the patience to wait for ages for some websites to download or not. 3G really does improve that.