Is the 3GS still a good buy in today's market?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zoebaggins, Aug 1, 2012.

1. zoebaggins macrumors member

I recently bought an iPhone 4 and my sisters, who are 14-years-old, are super fascinated by it. My mom, now intrigued as well, wants to get them an iPhone for high school. Problem is, it has to be off-contract since the phones will be put on a prepaid plan.

I managed to get an iPhone 4 16GB for $250 on eBay refurbished but assuming I can't get a deal like that again, it's going to be $500+ to get my sisters an iPhone 4. I know once the iPhone 5 (or whatever the heck it's going to be called) comes out, the 3GS would be exceedingly cheaper.

Given my sister's needs, they'll only use it as a phone, texting, light internet browsing, and probably a few simple games (like Angry Birds or something); they're really easy to please and they're not a bunch of snotty teens. My question now: would they notice a really big difference between the two models? Is it better to just wait it out and get the 4 or will the 3GS suit their needs just fine (considering it's their first smartphone anyway)?

I've looked through the forum and everybody says it's a bad buy if you get it on contract; since this won't be on contract, wondering it it'll make a difference or not.

Any insight would be helpful. :)

2. jamesvdm macrumors regular

jamesvdm

Personally I think the 3GS is great for younger folks because it's more life proof than the later models.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I suspect (and hope) Apple stops selling the 3GS once the next iPhone launches, replacing it with the iPhone 4. Assuming they did that, I personally would say the 3GS is NOT a smart buy, unless you can get your hands on a used 32GB one or something. 8GB with today's apps is just incredibly limiting.

4. nutmac macrumors 68040

If you (or your sister) can wait a month, the prices of 3GS and 4 should drop when new iPhone is announced.

5. zoebaggins thread starter macrumors member

32GB?! Apps are that huge? I haven't bothered installing any apps on mine yet, but I didn't think apps would clog that much space...

6. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

They aren;t THAT huge, but a brand new 3GS only comes in 8GB. Apps, especially if into games at all, are going to eat up 8GB pretty quickly. I have 16GB almost completely full of just apps. A few of those are some larger games (500mb+) but it is not unusual to see 200-300mb apps anymore, especially those where there is one app for every idevice (retina graphics for the 3rd gen iPad tend to take up a lot of space).

7. zoebaggins thread starter macrumors member

We do have the time to wait and I was intending on waiting a month or two anyway. Just wondering how much cheaper the 4 can get; spending $500 on two phones isn't exactly ideal. I'd get them an Android but they found the interface confusing to use.

8. BiggAW macrumors 68020

No. Most of the cost is in the data plan, so buy the most top of the line phone possible. Unless you need a used replacement real quick, and then a used 3GS wouldn't be bad if you get a decent deal on Ebay.

9. zoebaggins thread starter macrumors member

Data won't be an issue since they'll be on prepaid; it's only $30 a month for unlimited data and texting.

10. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Nothing is confirmed, but I belive the 3GS will be discontinued with the new iPhone, and the 4 will take the 3GS' place and price point.

11. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

I'd buy at least an iPhone 4 at this point. I expect there prices to drop even more when the next gen iPhone comes out.

12. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

Given that apple continues to sell the iPhone 3GS after the intro of 6th gen iPhone, I still think its a remarkable phone with the upgrade to iOS6. My iPhone 3GS is still doing well, & I would highly recommend getting a refurbished 16GB one if u can. Shouldn't be too expensive. Plus apps & games run fine here & battery life is decent too.

13. BiggAW macrumors 68020

What Carrier???

14. canucksfan88 macrumors 6502a

canucksfan88

i would say no. the screen for me is the big difference.
    wait a month or a bit and get them an iphone 4.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The 3GS lived longer and got support more than any other iphone model before.
    I think once the new iphone is out it will go too.
    I dont see them carrying the new iphone, 4S, iphone 4 and 3GS still.

16. Ljpuk macrumors newbie

I'd say 3GS would be fine for them plus it's a bit more robust.

17. PaulKemp macrumors 6502

Yes, but the 4 doesn't in any way seem like a last gen device. It's still fast, the screen is still very good. The 3GS feels old. Plus, there is the possibility that iOS 6 will probably stomp the performance of 3GS.

18. zoebaggins thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your help everyone! :D Looks like the iPhone 4 wins. Now to wait patiently for the prices to drop... Also,

It's T-Mobile's Monthly 4G. I've noticed a lot of people hate T-Mobile but I've been quite happy with it; my area actually gets 4G too.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nice, but dont expect to get 4G or even 3G with the iphone on Tmobile.

20. KAB2010 macrumors 6502

21. Rocky244, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012

Rocky244 macrumors regular

The 3GS may work (actually probably not, it's very slow with any semi recent iOS), but it's 3 years old already. Why would you bother? You can get other smart phones for cheap, and they'll be significantly newer.

And in today's phone world, newer is better. Also, they'll be giving away 4's when the new one comes out. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Edit: I stopped reading half way through the thread and it appears you've already accepted the 4 lol

22. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    For 14 yr/old I'd say 3gs would be best. It should be significantly cheaper, is more durable, and... wait for it... possibly faster than the 4. What?! :confused: My iPhone 4 has been pretty slow lately, and from what I've read, the processor is a very small step up from the 3gs to run 4 TIMES THE PIXELS. The retina screen comes with a cost. I won't definitely say the 3gs runs better, but I certainly wouldn't worry about it running worse.

The only thing they won't like is the 3GS has a much poorer camera for all the sexting they will be doing in HS /kidding (hopefully)

23. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

No, they are not that huge but remember that you don't get 8 GB. It's formatted so the actual capacity is slightly less. You'll also lose some capacity because of iOS and the default apps that come with it (you can't delete the default apps).

I'd look for a 16 GB model if you want to get a 3GS. Even better: wait until september, the iPhone 4 will probably get a price drop (it'll probably be just as expensive as the 3GS is today).

----------

iPhone 4 actually runs better. The GPU is indeed the same, but the iPhone 4 has got a higher-clocked CPU and a different architecture CPU (so double speed boost, really) and it's got 512 MB of RAM (iPhone 3GS has 256 MB RAM). RAM is crucial on iOS devices if you look at the performance.

24. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Seems weird, but I found the 4 to be more durable. I dropped my 3GS once, and the screen shattered, but with the 4, it's perfect.