is the .4Ghz imporant? i dont really need a backlit keyboard...?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by socorose, Nov 9, 2008.

1. socorose macrumors newbie

Hi All,

So I'm planning on ordering my new Macbook very soon, but I'm a bit confused. I don't know anything about computers, so what's the real difference between 2.0 ghz and 2.4 ghz in how the computer runs and functions? In general I have multiple applications open (4-6 at the same time) and sometimes I will be using Bootcamp to use ArcGIS or Autocad.

Also, whichever Macbook I get I will upgrade to 4 GB of ram and the 320 GB hard drive. Will the .4 Ghz, make a difference, or will it not really be noticeable? If it makes a clear difference, than I will definitely spring for the more expensive macbook, but I dont care at all about backlit keys. I've had my old powerbook with backlit keys and I've never really used them, which is why I'm ambivalent about paying so much more for backlit keys.

thanks!!!:confused:

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You won't notice .4GHz, but anything more you would.

DON'T BUY THE HDD FROM APPLE.

Normally it's, "DON'T BUY RAM AND HDDs FROM APPLE!" but since these MacBooks just came out, Apple is being insanely competitive with RAM for the moment.

3. CalmEnvy macrumors 6502a

Agreed, the cheapest I can find for ram in Canada is $147.99 for 2x2GB DDR3 while Apple offers the upgrade for $150 in the options when ordering. Pretty good now.

4. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

As the above posters said... You won't see a difference with the .4GHz faster processor. I would say stick with the base model Alum MacBook

5. mikeyr0x macrumors member

Backlit keys, higher proc, 4gb mem upgrade put me closer to mbp so I went for it. I wanted max power and 13" so the 2.4 was the machine for me. To each their own :)

6. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

You pretty much answered your own question in the title. .4 won't make a difference for most people.

7. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I did noticed a difference in the 2.0 and the 2.4 when I traded my 2.0 in for the 2.4

8. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic

I had a 2.1 macbook so my new one was not going to be a 2.0, yes you can notice a slight increase coming from my 2.1, buy what you can afford, why worry about it.

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Oooh, going down by 100MHz! Sacrilege!

If this is how you really feel, you could never have been a PC user. You would still be stuck with your 4.8GHz Pentium 4 waiting for an appropriately "better" Core series model.

10. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Backlit keys are the reason why Im getting the 2.4 model, the mild speed bump is nice too :p Also, 250Gb HD right at the store is nice, no need for any online orders :p

Victor

11. amt2002 macrumors member

I would think carefully about not having the backlit keys.

I didn't think I'd need them after not having a problem with my non-backlit 12" PB, however the keys on that were silver. These are black, and are much harder to see in anything but really good light.

I wish I had paid the extra for the 2.4GHz model.

12. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

I second that, i got the 2.4 and i'd never had a backlit keyboard before, well, its like discovering you have hands on the end of your arms, i'll probably always have to get a laptop with a backlit keyboard now. i love it

out of interest, on the 2.0 are the keys as bad to look at when the 2.4 isn't illuminated in a dark room? or are the letters painted on???

if i turn off the keyboard light when only having the tv on i can only just see there are letters on the keys, let along know what they are.

.4ghz is 20% increase, so it will be noticeable but its not alot in the grand scale of things.

13. cheeseadiddle macrumors regular

I have a 2.1 whitebook, and bought the 2.0 aluminum. The late '08 has a faster bus speed than the 2.1 [1066MHz vs 667MHz] as well as better graphics. My 2.0 outperforms my 2.1 easily.

14. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

2.4 is barely faster in real life tests compared to 2.0. So get the 2.4 if u need the backlit keyboard.

15. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic

yep, if I have the money why would I go lower?

16. SkipperStyle macrumors newbie

If you can afford it, take the 2.4. Autocad programs are going to take a toll on a slower processor. As for the other things you mentioned doing, you wouldnt notice.

I wouldnt listen to anyone that says you need a backlit keyboard. If you know how to type, you shouldnt have to look at the keyboard much anyway. If you dont know how to type, get a mavis beacon type program and pocket the difference.

17. cypher macrumors member

Quick question..

What kind of applications would generally require the speed? Would gaming on Windows using bootcamp, Aperture, Photoshop, better on the 2.4?

18. Jpoon macrumors 6502

Meh, if you touch type I don't think it'd be a big deal not to have backlit keys. I don't have a problem with non - backlit keys on my Wind, Toshiba, and SR Macbook. I rarely ever look at my keys.

Look at it as a reason to improve your typing skills hehe!

19. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

I sold my MBA and replaced it with a MB. My number one reason for getting the MB was the backlit keyboard.

20. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

Backlight Keyboard is AWESOME. I may use it more like a aesthetic goodies since it's so gorgeous, but it's really awesome. I can actually use my Macbook in low light environment, or without the main light of my room open. Make a really enjoyable ambiance and a lot less stressful then having all the lights open.

With the bigger HDD and .4 GHz addition, the 300$ difference worth it for me. 200GB look like a sweet spot for me. During my PC time, I lived on only 3 differents HDD: One from the Windows 95 era (Must be something with less then 10GB), a 36GB and a newly 80 GB. 36GB was really too small, had to constantly erase things to be sure to have enough place. 80GB was nice, but a little thigh. 200 is not too much or too small, I don't want to be completly lost in too much place. It affect nothing on the computer side, but for me it's something that I like it to be like. 2.4 GHz is justified, since I'm doing a lot of Photoshop/Illustrator in my studying program.

I'm also going to game a lot on this macbook, so that was a big no for the old generation.

21. rd261 macrumors regular

The Macbook Air has a backlit keyboard as well.:confused:

22. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Aperture and Photoshop would perform mildly better.

23. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

+1 :apple:

24. dbdynsty25 macrumors regular

300 bucks for .4ghz, backlit keys and a bigger HD...seems like a decent upgrade to me. But then again, I am in the camp that "get as fast as you can afford" because eventually it will seem slow. It's just a matter of how long you can use your laptop without thinking that. Getting that .4ghz will probably get me another year psychologically...good investment if you ask me.

25. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

.4 ghz won't matter in reality... Rather save the money and switch to a new one sooner.