Is the 5C a fail? Still available for 9/20

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Steviejobz, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

First time that I can remember that after a full weekend of pre-orders a new model of iPhone (or any mobile device for that matter) has not seen ship dates slip. Seems to be too much competition with and not enough price difference with the 5S so why not go for the flagship?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

People complain when they don't have enough stock
    Now they criticize when they do

Damned if you do, damned if you don't

3. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I've never seen so many folks here wanting the 5C to fail. I've got one ordered, so I'm sure that will push them over the edge. :p

4. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

Alot of colors and toomuch anticipation from apple.
    People prefer 5 over 5c.
    It explains why they are still in stock.

But yes...its plastic...from apple...so its a fail.

5. Steviejobz thread starter macrumors 68000

Ok, so your point is Apple has improved the supply chain. Thus we do not need to camp out or wake up at 12:01am PST to order the 5S? Phew. Was worried

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, I think MacDawgs point is people complain when there not enough phones and now we see a thread complaining that supply is ample. Basically apple doesn't get a break.

I think the 5C is a tough sell and won't generate a lot of sales like the 5S but there is a market for them - how much of a market is up in the air at the moment.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

A fail? No. I assume stock would hold up because there is another phone around the corner. Now people have a choice between the two.

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Apparently you misunderstood your own post :)
    It was about the 5C, not the 5s
    We will have to wait and see about the 5s won't we

9. Skika macrumors 68030

Maybe they are much easily to manufacture thus no shortage?

10. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Who knows. We have to wait until sales numbers are released. I'm inclined to think it's probably a little of both (less demand, better supply chain). In any case, I think Apple should change their reported numbers to units shipped like Samsung.

11. Tysknaden macrumors regular

Tysknaden

The 5C should have been a low priced entrance level product for luring new groups into the ecosystem.
    But the price is not low. And the 5S will cannibalize the 5C.
    You are completely right.
    Additionaly, the looks, the C's do have, are a C-atastrophy in the European market.

12. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Between the 5C and the 5S, Apple has all bases covered (except larger screen), so I don't see what the gripe is. Of course, the 5C will cannibalize the 5S, that's unavoidable, but it's still money in Apple's pocket and the 5C is bound to be much more affordable to produce. More money for Apple and everyone gets a choice of phone styles and needs. What's the problem with that?

And as far as 'low cost'? Now many people actually pay for their phones off contract? Very few aside from geeks around here, so if you can't cough up $99 for a iPhone, you got no business tying yourself into an $80 a month contract.

13. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

I know everyone on this forum is excited to use their Associate's degree in Marketing, but I'm pretty sure Apple knows what they are doing. What have sales been like for previous generation iPhones in the past? Was the 4S out of stock when the 5 came out? Was the 4 out of stock when the 4S came out? I doubt it.

14. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

Apple has a huge amount of stock for the 5C so they were never ever going to sell out. But I'm sure it's outselling any and every Android phone by about 10 to 1 across the globe atm. So no, it's not a fail. I promise you the 5C will be a huge sales hit, because consumers love it.

15. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502

A lot of the early adopters like to go for the top phone available, which is the 5S. However, that phone isn't available. So most of the enthusiasts (like most of people on this forum) are waiting. In addition, 5Cs were likely well supplied (more than prior 5S/5/4S launches).

The 5C will likely do great in store, but there seems to be a lot of confusion among iPhone buyers in general right now. Once the reviews come out (which I believe will be favorable to both phones and surprisingly good for the 5C), things will get clearer. Remember, the look, feel and features of iOS7 will be identical among both phones, so many people sampling the phones in store may end up with a 5C given it is $100 cheaper.

16. Dented macrumors 6502a

This, exactly. The 5C was never destined to be a sellout, it's a solid second tier product for those who *arent* chasing the latest and greatest to the point where they have to queue up or preorder etc.

The 4S certainly didn't sell out the same week the 5 came out, but it *was* the highest selling iPhone in terms of numbers last year; that's the big market that the 5C is aimed at.

17. Steviejobz thread starter macrumors 68000

I skipped marketing and went for a Finance degree and I what I do see is Apple shares lower while the market looked to open up 200 points this morning. So clearly something is wrong. Could the market be getting the 5C opportunity wrong? Sure. But let's not sit here and pretend Apple has some flawless record of pricing and marketing. I distinctly recall getting a credit when Apple realized they priced the original iPhone too high and lowered prices shortly after. I'm a shareholder and I like to see sell outs. This 5C / 5S is new ground for the company and while the jury is still out a simple fact remains this is one of the few new product launches we have seen where supplied remain plentiful. Granted the genii at Apple probably foresaw this and why we dont have pre-order for 5S. They want the media to show pictures of people waiting on lines for the new device.

18. Dented macrumors 6502a

Can we please stop using share price as some kind of measure of success or failure here? The people setting these prices know nothing more than we do about the design or sale of these devices, and are led by moronic analysts who are UNIFORMLY wrong in their forecasts and analysis. Please stop referring to the market as if its an indicator of anything other than the fear and stupidity of a bunch of greedy mindless apes trying to wrestle a bear for money.

19. takeshi74 macrumors 601

We really don't have enough information to determine if there's a causal relationship but that won't stop plenty of the armchair analysts here.

If not depleting stock is the only criterion for "fail" then most products out there fail.

Again, no demonstrable causal relationship there and that should be understood for any company -- not just Apple.

20. CEmajr macrumors 601

Fact is we won't know anything until Apple announces some concrete numbers on 5C preorders or sales. Since the tech is already a year old, cheaper and easier to manufacture, it could be possible that they simply just have more than enough to meet demand.

21. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

It's probably easier to make this phone. The 5 parts are already lying around anyway do they just have to put them into plastic enclosures.

22. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I thought I heard the Yellow version had slipped?

23. Steviejobz thread starter macrumors 68000

The only unit that has slipped to 9/25 is the sim-free device

24. aneftp macrumors 68040

These are factors why the 5C won't do as well

1. (In the USA) post paid carriers have gotten stingier with their upgrade policies

2. The iPhone 5C isn't a "new" phone. So while it sell. It will sell like a one year old phone

3. Frankly this is the probably best reason. Smartphones are becoming very saturated in the USA. The biggest growth in terms of technology was from 2009-2011. An iPhone 4S still works well for 80% of the general population.

Just look at Galaxy S4 sales. That's the flagship phone (for now) and sales have been lower than expected cause people are perfectly happy with their S3.

So people are perfectly happy with their iPhone 5 and most are happy with iPhone 4S. The 4S may keep their phones or upgrade to a 5S. So the 5C is a lower targeted audience

25. Dented macrumors 6502a

Again - how quickly did the 4S sell out this time last year? That's the comparison here.