Is the 5GB data cap real, or just hearsay? Have you gone over 5GB?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by goodcow, Jun 20, 2009.

1. goodcow macrumors 6502a

I'm curious if anyone here has actually gone over 5GB of data usage in a single month on AT&T and if so, did anything actually happen?

For those of you who are about to jump in and say 5GB or more of data over 3G is insane, you'd have to be tethering and otherwise siding with AT&T for some strange reason, that's not true at all.

I've started streaming video podcasts from the iTunes app over 3G and I'm up to 2.7GB data this month in six days. Sure, I could watch these things in a different manner, like off a computer in iTunes, but I pay for my data plan and I hate AT&T and find them to be incredibly greedy so as long as my data is listed as "unlimited" I'm going to utilize it the way that's most convenient to me.

2. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

02 told me they will text you to tell you your over the fair usage limit and then and then if you keep using more and more they will text you again and then finally ring you to let you know if you dont stop they will charge you.

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

After not topping about 200MB per month on EDGE, I hit nearly 1GB of data just last night on my 3G. I turned WiFi off to see what the speed was like.

Not wanting to find out the answer to your question, I switched WiFi back on. I'll have plenty of time at work to blow through 3G data. Of course at $30 + $5 more for texting, I oughta just turn WiFi off completely and get my money's worth. :)

4. goodcow thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is 100% my attitude. One of co-workers streams Pandora all day off his iPhone but on WiFi instead of 3G. If you're paying for the data, utilize it.

5. DEdwards2204 macrumors member

DEdwards2204

WiFi is faster and won't raise any brows at AT&T.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

lol well at home, i pay for wifi and 3g. which one should i utilize out of spite?

7. goodcow thread starter macrumors 6502a

Using the $30 a month data plan you pay for should raise some brows at AT&T? Are you serious?

And apparently their network is fast enough to stream 250MB/hour video over 3G, but on the other hand I can be walking down the street in Manhattan and completely lose tower connection, have dropped calls, failed calls and it'll take 5-10 seconds for a text message to send. Their network is so friggin' busted it's unbelievable.

8. aerospace macrumors 6502a

From what I heard there is no hard cap, if you frequently go over 5gigs someone will look into you account and make sure your not tethering or doing other things you shouldn't be. I'd imagine if you downloaded 30gigs/month or something they would cancel your contract for excessive usage.

9. MACoconut macrumors regular

but with the iTunes Store implemented in iTunes in iPhones, won't the data increase if you download tv shows via 3G?

10. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Thought you could only download videos over wifi?

11. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

or voipover3g hack where your phone gets faked out to thinking it is on wifi when it's really on 3g

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

and that violoates ToS so whats your point?

13. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

So does the tethering or unlocking but people will never stop doing it.

14. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

My point is that it's available, not that it's in violation or anything. That's not too hard to comprehend.

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i agree except this statement implies that bandwidth usage will increase since we can download movies from itunes......convienty neglected to mention you cant do that over 3g unless you jailbreak at which point it is against the ToS just like tethering without having a plan for it

16. goodcow thread starter macrumors 6502a

What constitutes "excessive usage" though? Especially using an Apple developed application that comes with every phone.

17. DEdwards2204 macrumors member

DEdwards2204

No, but you going over the supposed 5GB of data in a week will. (Tethering, some podcasts, and a ton of internet surfing will do this.)