Is the 5s killing the 5c?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jimbo1mcm, Sep 27, 2013.

1. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

It sure looks like people are really preferring the 5s with its advanced features and styling. Has Apple made a mistake in producing the 5c?

2. Lammercy macrumors regular

One day the 5S is outselling the 5C, one day the 5C is selling just as much as the 5S, now you're suggesting that the 5S is killing the 5C and that Apple may have made a mistake? Too many MR readers think they're some type of marketing analysts. Let Apple do what they do!

3. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

4. kerrikins macrumors 65816

It's way too early to be able to make that decision. Ask in a few months or a year from now. :p

5. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

maybe

6. octatonic macrumors regular

octatonic

Too soon to call.

Early adopters (like us lot) tend to go for the higher end models.
    I reckon Apple will have to drop the price of the 5c for it to sell well.

7. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

What a stupid question. Last year, would you have asked "Is the iPhone 5 killing the 4s?"

8. Aye macrumors regular

9. billycuth macrumors 6502a

So.

10. truettray macrumors 6502

truettray

Well the majority of people buying right now want the new iPhone. Over the months we'll see things level out, and I'm willing to bet that the 5C will sell as good or better than the 4S did last year. I bought a 5C to replace my 5 which absolute fell apart, and it's a great device. Although I've got my sights set on the 6.

11. Spacial macrumors 6502

No.

Apple buyers in general are vain & style conscious. They care more about what phone their "seen with" than anything else. When given a choice to buy an excellent iPhone at a lower price, they just cannot do it. They've got to have the top of the line whether they need it or not.

They rationalize "it's only $100 more" and as such Apples got them. It's win/win. Their egos feel good & Apple laughs all the way to the bank.

Apples massive cash hoard is proof that they've got this game down cold.

12. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

Yeah, unfortunately too many folks in society are concerned with how they're seen in public.

Me, I don't give a crap what you think.

13. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

The problem is that the price isn't that much lower.

14. Aye, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013

Aye macrumors regular

5s and 5c have different markets especially with the discontinuation of 5 which maybe more expensive to produce than 5c. It is a better marketing strategy (color choices and showing off how to make a gorgeous but not cheap looking plastics smartphone) than the usual latest flagship version and discounted/reduced prices previous version. The previous version had been repackaged and being made for a lower cost and sold for a cheaper price (which is essentially the same in previous years).

With that said, I am pretty sure they are selling / will sell more 5cs than 4s last year at the time 5 was just released OR if they continue to manufacture & sell 5 at the same with the release of 5s.

15. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

The 5c will be a favourite for people who are due an upgrade but do not want to pay much for the phone.

16. mbhforum macrumors 6502

I personally do not care for the 5c. To me, it feels very cheap. However, I do think come the holiday season, it's going to sell a lot to teenagers/college kids. Most people who buy the new models the first couple of weeks are the enthusiasts who are excited about new technology (i.e: TouchID). The 5c doesn't have anything to brag about there. It's a long term goal.

17. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502

The problem with that problem is that the phone internals aren't that much worse. The cost of BOM is pretty consistent betweent he 5c and 5s. In many ways the 5c may be too good.

18. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

It feels great IMO. I don't care for the colours very much but it's constructed very well and doesn't feel like a flimsy cheap plastic Android device.

19. Aye macrumors regular

If the number of 5cs sold already surpassed the quantity of previous iteration sold in the previous years, Apple made the right decision. It will sell out and Apple has to manufacture more 5cs for the Christmas season and thereafter before the release of the next iThing.

20. DAVIDUGLY macrumors member

DAVIDUGLY

I prefer the 5C, grabbed one in each color.
    I mostly see 5C around here.
    Granted that may be due to scarcity of the S,
    but it is what it is.

21. beastmode16 macrumors regular

i feel like the only reason we might be seeing more 5c the 5s is because the 5c is entirely different. it is colorful and pops out. i personally havent seen a 5s out in the wild yet, or maybe i have it just wasnt gold so it didnt catch my eye. Overall just wait it out they only came out a week ago.

22. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

One in each color? Jesus Christ what do you do for a living?

23. takeshi74 macrumors 601

I don't think he's on MacRumors but IIRC he was a carpenter. :D

24. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Yes, but that's just heading into the first turn.

5C's jockey Esteban Colór was holding back his mount for an expected kick at the ¾ pole and a strong finish.