Is the 6 plus worth it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 938092, Dec 11, 2014.

1. 938092 Suspended

Hey All,

I recently had to return my iPhone 6 due to a screen fault. One thing I did notice with it is that the battery life would barely get me through a day of usage. Usually being flat around 4-5pm starting at 100% at around 8am.

I've had a galaxy s5 in the past and now since I have more time to reconsider am thinking that the 6 plus may be a possibility as I have heard its battery life is much better. Is it that much of a learning curve to get used to a bigger phone? Would I have to cease things like putting it in my pocket and so forth?

I'll be trying one out soon, would just like some pre-advice. :)

Thanks in advance.

2. azhava macrumors regular

Coming from an iPhone 5, I didn't notice any learning curve - it's just a bigger phone.

As far as putting it in your pocket, I suppose it depends on your pockets. If you wear skintight skinny jeans, it's probably a bad fit; if you wear normal-fitting jeans/pants/shorts, I find that it fits just fine in my pockets. I don't sit down with it in there, but I never did that with my previous iPhones either so it wasn't a change for me.

3. 938092 thread starter Suspended

Ah just remembered I actually had ordered a pong case for my 6 when I had it. Looks like I'm stuck with getting another 6.

I suppose it may not be worth going that much larger considering I like the size of the 6, i just hated the battery life that wouldn't get me through a day.

4. techiebug macrumors 6502a

Not worth it. Phone is just bigger and really does nothing else. I like the size of the 6.

5. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Yes. Yes it is.

The bigger screen is much better for content and the battery is just something you stop thinking about. There is no question that it'll get me through the day without skipping a beat.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

There is so much posted here about the advantages and disadvantages of these two phones that a few hours should help.

My two cents is that I love the 6+ but not enough to be willing to carry it around all day. My 6 is perfect for ME!

7. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Better battery life, higher resolution display, better loudspeaker, optical camera stabilisation, and a bigger screen.
    All of those are massive upgrades. There are more upgrades from the iPhone 6 to the 6+ than there are from the 5S to the iPhone 6, if you're discounting screen size.

----------

You're spending all that money on a phone and are letting the purchase of a case sway you? I bought three cases for my 6+ until I found one that I was happy with.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Worth is subjective. I think the iP6+ is worth it, but then I wanted a bigger phone.

9. ryankul macrumors regular

Definitely. If you can deal with a physically larger phone go for it! Photos, video playback and web browsing is much nicer. I upgraded from a 6. Just my 2 cents.

10. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Went from a 6 to a 6 Plus and beyond worth it and is absolutely incredible. If you dont mind the size of the Plus(which i got used to pretty quickly and dont think its that big anymore actually, and also the tapered edges and thinness makes it alot better to hold and is less cumbersome overall)

The screen and battery life on the Plus is just incredibly good and really dam good, it is worth it, the extra screen size and the battery life alone makes it worth it imo

11. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

+1. these are what made me decide to go with the plus after using the 6 for a good 2 weeks. and now after 2 weeks of using the 6plus, i got used to it's size.

12. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: yeeeeeesssssss!!!!

13. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Please don't let a previously purchased case make your decision.

Regarding fit in pants, there is a cutout of the 6 Plus you can get online (I got mine from an Ars Technica link). You can print, cut it out, and put it in your pants standing and it will give you a good idea. Keep in mind the 6 Plus is very thin so the issue really is if you can handle the height and width in your pant pocket. I personally can.

Also keep in mind the difference between using the 6 and 6 Plus is massive. Unless you have huge hands you'll find yourself using the 6 Plus with two hands versus most likely using the 6 exclusively with one. In a matter of days I honestly found using my 6 Plus with two hands to be a joy. And sometimes I'll have one hand free and I can still use my 6 Plus with one hand, but with caution and not for long periods.

The trade off is more battery life and a wonderful screen experience. This is the most fun I've ever had using a smartphone. And I'm coming from a perfect one handed use phone. (Moto X 1st gen.)

14. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

Wait for the 6S. It will hopefully be built a bit stronger and will have far better internals.

15. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Wait for the iPhone 11, it will be much better.

16. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Are you kidding!? The 12S is the one to wait for.

17. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

It would be worth it if Apple optimized iOS 8 and made it fluid and gave it more intuitive features for a larger device.

18. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

SOOOOOOOOOO happy with my plus!! i just love the screen size!

19. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Maybe now you are, but I bet you won't be SOOOOOOOOOOO happy when your 6 plus runs iOS 9 like crap.

20. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Some of us didn't fancy yet another year with our old phones. Sure the iPhone 6 in both flavours is bit of a let down, but they're still the best iPhones available today. I didn't buy mine with the idea of keeping it two years and I almost didn't buy it at all due to the 1GB of RAM, but the prospect of swapping to Android or spending another year with my iPhone 5 didn't really grab me.

21. cbreze macrumors 6502

cbreze

6+ is my first iPhone. Coming from a 5" screen I wasn't going to go for less. Really happy with the plus. Battery life is a big plus with the plus#. I just ordered my second case. So don't let a case make up your mind for you. I know I'd of been disappointed with anything less. Happy with my decision, but to each their own.

22. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

My "wow" moment: I had the chance to video my wife riding her horse with Camera, edit it on the 6 Plus in iMovie, and play it back on that great screen. I still remember having a videocamera that rested on my shoulder!

23. 938092 thread starter Suspended

It looks like maybe I should give it a try! ;)

Have to find a way of getting that extra $150 now :)

24. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

The 6 Plus doesn't give you extra functionality over the 6, just a bigger screen. No extra features besides OIS. There isn't really a learning curve just "getting used to it" which doesn't take very long and then you might wonder how you used such a small phone in the past!

25. 938092 thread starter Suspended

How do you find the battery life of the 6? My one and only reason to switch to 6+ would be battery life.

The life on my 6 was disappointing but perhaps it's because I restored from a backup?