Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Battery life is super. On regular days with regular use, I could get two days on a charge. Even on a heavy day of use, I can't imagine running out of juice.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
No. That is not what I am saying. Apple made a weak phone that is not future proof. At this point it would be worth waiting a few months.

You mean 9 months? I usually don't tell anyone not to upgrade to the latest phone until the current model is 5 months old. At that point I tell them to proceed with caution. At the 8 month mark I tell them to turn around and wait for the next model.

While the 6 and 6 Plus were a disappoining upgrade speed wise, they are still good phones and the best iPhone you can get to date. If you want/need a phone now, why not get it? The thought that a newer, greater model is just around corner? At that rate we would never upgrade and be constantly waiting for that perfect upgrade. The 5s, sure, was the biggest speed bumb the iPhone line has seen but what are the chances we'll see that again next year?

While 1GB of RAM isn't the greatest boat either, even with iOS, the phone runs fine and a speed decrease from a newer OS release is a given.

I went from the 5s to the 6 Plus and I'm as happy as a lark. Do I wish it had more RAM? Sure. Is the screen amazing though? Hell yes!

appleincognito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2014
Could anyone with the standard six speak about their battery life experience? Is it good/bad for you?

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Could anyone with the standard six speak about their battery life experience? Is it good/bad for you?

I have the 6 plus and the battery life is nothing short of amazing. I've never managed to drain the battery in a day. I browse the net for several hours a day, play games, watch videos, use social media etc and at the end end of the day I'm left with 40-50 % of battery left. On a single charge I get between 10-11 hours of usage, which is just insane as that's basically the same as the battery life on the iPad mini. I've actually been able to charge it every other day.

These are my latest battery stats:

4AE3100E-5FFE-47E9-8A42-97BE787C9F7D.png

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I have the 6 plus and the battery life is nothing short of amazing. I've never managed to drain the battery in a day. I browse the net for several hours a day, play games, watch videos, use social media etc and at the end end of the day I'm left with 40-50 % of battery left. On a single charge I get between 10-11 hours of usage, which is just insane as that's basically the same as the battery life on the iPad mini. I've actually been able to charge it every other day.

These are my latest battery stats:

I used to get that on 8.1.1
Sadly 8.1.2 is an hour or so down on that for me.

blooperz

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2013
Hey All,

I recently had to return my iPhone 6 due to a screen fault. One thing I did notice with it is that the battery life would barely get me through a day of usage. Usually being flat around 4-5pm starting at 100% at around 8am.

I've had a galaxy s5 in the past and now since I have more time to reconsider am thinking that the 6 plus may be a possibility as I have heard its battery life is much better. Is it that much of a learning curve to get used to a bigger phone? Would I have to cease things like putting it in my pocket and so forth?

I'll be trying one out soon, would just like some pre-advice. :)

Thanks in advance.

Really depends on how you use your phone...if you use it talking over 3g than yes you will see a huge boost in battery life...if you are on LTE like most people and use your phone for things besides talking, than you may get a few more hours out of it, nothing game changing though.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
My 6 spends most of the day in a charging dock. On the days I'm out and about it drops to ~60% by bedtime.

What about a battery case? That way if you want a smaller phone to take out in the evening, you can just pop the battery case off. With a 6+, you're stuck with a big 'phone.

TWD98j

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2010
Regardless of battery life, the phone still only comes with 1 GB of RAM, which obviously hinders performance to some degree. Personally I am hanging onto my 5S until the 6S, which will hopefully pack 2 GB of RAM.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Loving the 6 plus. I've honestly never had issues putting it in my pocket. In general, women should only have to worry, as women's pants/jeans pockets are useless.

The large screen is amazing. Anything smaller than the regular iPhone 6 feels down right comically tiny.

Loving battery life. As a heavy user, my old 5 would die by 2pm at best. Now I'm at 30-40% left by the time I get home.

Overall, totally worth it. I'm happy I stuck it out and waited the month and 2 weeks to get my 64GB SG 6+ as if I would've been impatient and got a 16GB 6+ or regular iPhone 6, I would be hating myself right now. Always worth it to get what you really want.

----------

Regardless of battery life, the phone still only comes with 1 GB of RAM, which obviously hinders performance to some degree. Personally I am hanging onto my 5S until the 6S, which will hopefully pack 2 GB of RAM.

I used to think this RAM non-sense was BS, but after using an Air 2 and iPhone 6 Plus on a regular basis, I now see what people are talking about.

It doesn't hinder performance on the 6 Plus when we are talking about actually using the App, but on the iPad Air 2 so far I've been shocked about how I could open an app after being 5 apps down the multitasking queue and the app doesn't refresh and is exactly where I left off. On the 6 Plus, an app 2-3 apps down the queue always need to refresh/relaunch.

la79

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2011
I have a 6 and battery lasts me about two days and this is from a backup +jailbreak. Am I a power user? I would say no. But I use it moderately. I also purchased the 6+ but ultimately chose the 6. Why? I wasn't willing to change my lifestyle for a larger phone. I am active in my lifestyle and thought about everywhere I would need to carry the 6+. Just wouldn't work out for me. I do two year upgrades and know I wouldn't be able to deal with the 6+ that long. Which is why I chose the 6.

Also I think it's all relative. In my opinion a bigger phone of course is going to have better battery life. It's a bigger phone. In regard to the screen I really dont think the human eye can tell the difference between the resolution of 6 and the 6+ screen. I owned both and would compare them side by side. Sure the OIS is good but then the 6 has OIS but it is software based.

Personally its all comes down to your lifestyle. I am not a power user. If you are go with the 6+ if not go with the 6.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

Pretty much becomes a wash since your resale value will plummet on the 5s in another year.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Personally I think it is worth it.

The battery and higher resolution are enticing enough.

But add that big gorgeous display and it is a clincher.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Loving the 6 plus. I've honestly never had issues putting it in my pocket. In general, women should only have to worry, as women's pants/jeans pockets are useless.

The large screen is amazing. Anything smaller than the regular iPhone 6 feels down right comically tiny.

Loving battery life. As a heavy user, my old 5 would die by 2pm at best. Now I'm at 30-40% left by the time I get home.

Overall, totally worth it. I'm happy I stuck it out and waited the month and 2 weeks to get my 64GB SG 6+ as if I would've been impatient and got a 16GB 6+ or regular iPhone 6, I would be hating myself right now. Always worth it to get what you really want.

----------

I used to think this RAM non-sense was BS, but after using an Air 2 and iPhone 6 Plus on a regular basis, I now see what people are talking about.

It doesn't hinder performance on the 6 Plus when we are talking about actually using the App, but on the iPad Air 2 so far I've been shocked about how I could open an app after being 5 apps down the multitasking queue and the app doesn't refresh and is exactly where I left off. On the 6 Plus, an app 2-3 apps down the queue always need to refresh/relaunch.

Women don't have to worry, we have purses and handbags so size isn't an issue :)

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Please don't let a previously purchased case make your decision.

Regarding fit in pants, there is a cutout of the 6 Plus you can get online (I got mine from an Ars Technica link). You can print, cut it out, and put it in your pants standing and it will give you a good idea. Keep in mind the 6 Plus is very thin so the issue really is if you can handle the height and width in your pant pocket. I personally can.

Also keep in mind the difference between using the 6 and 6 Plus is massive. Unless you have huge hands you'll find yourself using the 6 Plus with two hands versus most likely using the 6 exclusively with one. In a matter of days I honestly found using my 6 Plus with two hands to be a joy. And sometimes I'll have one hand free and I can still use my 6 Plus with one hand, but with caution and not for long periods.

The trade off is more battery life and a wonderful screen experience. This is the most fun I've ever had using a smartphone. And I'm coming from a perfect one handed use phone. (Moto X 1st gen.)

Didn't know you got the Plus, enjoy it as I surely do.

I have a Moto X 1st gen myself, I just use it now for when I need to wear formal clothing so it fits in my pocket.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Didn't know you got the Plus, enjoy it as I surely do.

I have a Moto X 1st gen myself, I just use it now for when I need to wear formal clothing so it fits in my pocket.

Thanks. In the process of selling my Moto X. 6 Plus fits fine in all my pockets, surprisingly enough. Love my new phone.

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
I've had mine for a 3 days now and i love it, and i'm coming from a 5s. i normally wear shorts and some with smaller pockets the corner might stick out a little but no big deal. its thin and isn't that bothersome, at least i know its there! sometimes with my 5s i'd freak out for a second because i didn't feel it, then i check and its there. but i won't get the next phone, ill keep this one for 2yrs and get the next redesign. its so much better to use the bigger screen while just hanging out or in bed.

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
When the 6 plus came out I purchased it on sept 19, and the first 14 days were my most indecisive days ever with this phone. I contemplated which phone I wanted and if I really wanted the 6 plus or the 6, I thought the phone was gigantic coming from a iphone 5. As my 14th day came up I went to Apple to look at the iphone 6, I thought it was tiny and I knew if I got rid of my 6 plus I would not be able to purchase another till around this time of the year so I decided to keep my 6 plus.

Fast forward to now, I think this phone is awesome but still a little big. I absolutely love the battery life and there is a SIGNIFICANT difference from my iPhone 5. The screen resolution is better at 1080 but not amazing IMO, amazing is the note 4 which a couple of my family members have, but I prefer iOS which speaks for why I chose the 6 plus. The speaker is great, very loud but in a bad spot and easily blocked, especially while playing games as we know.

I still think this phone is a little big though, especially as a gym phone. I will probably try to go for the 6 if they up the resolution and battery life. I have gotten used to the screen though, definitely very useful and not noticed at all while using it, especially when reading and killing time. Carrying it around is not really an issue for me except when I am trying to use it at the gym. I have opt for a iPod nano for use at the gym as we are there to workout and not use our phones anyway. The iPhone 6 and plus is VERY slippery naked, I ended up getting a thin 0.3 TPU case which I can barely tell is there but providing the right amount of grip, coming from a guy that normally does not use cases.

Overall great phone, for me it's a keeper, for now. I can actually use my phone and leave my house without even carrying a battery pack or worrying about my battery life for the whole day at all, and I would say I use my phone more then the average person. For me this is huge, I love for once not having to worry about battery life. By far my favorite feature of the 6 plus. I'd say the 6 plus is definitely worth the upgrade given the better features, might be big at first but you will get used to it and learn to live with it and appreciate its features. Hope this information helps with your decision.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Battery life is super. On regular days with regular use, I could get two days on a charge. Even on a heavy day of use, I can't imagine running out of juice.

I just got mine today. Super easy restore from back up via iTunes (a matter of 2-3 mins.). I originally wanted the 6+, then I thought "too big", so I went into the Apple store today thinking I would get a 6, but when they told me I had until Jan. 8th. to return/exchange, I said, why not get the 6+ and see for myself. It's a little big, but I'm sure I can get use to it, I think?

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Let us know how you like the Plus once you've used it a couple of days. It's been my favorite iPhone ever. Each time I get a new phone the excitement lasts for a couple of weeks. With the 6 Plus, I find even after more than 2 months I still have that "new phone" excitement. I find that I use the Plus so much more than my 5. With the 5, I would use the phone out and about and always resort back to my iPad when back at the house. With the Plus, I use it 95% of the time. The iPad only needs a charge once every week or more now with such low use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.