is the 6s seen as the lesser phone compared to the 6s plus?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by coachbrady79, Sep 24, 2015.

1. coachbrady79 macrumors member

Is the 6s less powerful than the 6 plus, i am new to apple , any help would be great!

2. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

Not sure if it's clocked higher as last year, but ultimately the 6S+ performs rather worse as it has to power a lot more pixels.

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

The 6S Plus is actually the less powerful phone and performs worse than the 6S. In the same way that the 6 was faster and smoother than the 6 Plus as Apple refuses to give the Plus version a more powerful CPU than the smaller iPhone to power its screen.

4. eric3312, Sep 24, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2015

eric3312 macrumors 6502

I'm betting that the A9 processor and bump up in memory (2 GB, vs 1 GB last year) will make the 6s Plus function just as fast as the regular 6s this time around. the 6s plus may be a bit slower, but I don't think it will be nearly as noticeable as last year's models.

5. Cayden macrumors 6502a

Cayden

Well they have the same processor but different screen sizes so the 6s will clock at higher speeds since it drives a smaller screen. The camera on the 6s Plus is for sure better than the 6s however

6. eric3312 macrumors 6502

7. msmyth macrumors member

Are people really stupid enough to think that a chip that is nearly desktop class, would take a performance hit on rendering a 1080p resolution as opposed to pseudo 720p?

Lol. Please delete this rubbish.

8. CEmajr macrumors 601

Indeed the performance difference might not be noticeable this time like it was with the 6 Plus, but the 6S is still going to clock higher.

9. msmyth macrumors member

Sorry but processors don't 'clock higher' due to performance load. The chipset is clocked at a speed deemed correct for its purpose and potential. It's likely that Apple set clock speed higher in 6+ due to the fact memory was so sparse.

10. rantor49 macrumors regular

6s Plus is the mother of all phones. The Verge says if your going to buy a iPhone 6S, make it a 6S Plus.

11. CEmajr macrumors 601

Well we'll find out tomorrow for sure. Like I said, I'm guessing the A9 is powerful enough to where the difference isn't noticeable this time around, but we'll see. It does seem to be the processor that should've been on the 6 plus in the first place.

12. satchow macrumors 6502

I have a GTX980ti on my desktop computer and I prefer 15 inch 640x480 CRT screens because it performs better than on a 27 inch 1440p screen.

13. techspin macrumors 6502a

Perhaps the lag/stutter on the larger phone this year is resolved by the spec bump, but subsequent iOS updates may take that away. Last year's plus phone felt like it was cobbled together for the sake of additional screen size. Most users won't notice or care. So the "lesser" phone may possibly run smoother, but if you have to ask I doubt you'd notice.

14. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

OP, wait until the reviews are out. No one here knows for sure. Duh ;)

15. techspin macrumors 6502a

Good point, but unless you use it for other applications, you're wasting money on that card.

16. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

It depends on your needs. If you require a device that can run as long as possible on a single charge, has the best camera specs, and runs a large screen with a high resolution then the 6S Plus is what you will want. If you prize portability and snappier performance (we presume) and one handed use, then the 6s is the one for you. There are trade offs to either. The 6s is lesser only in size. It's still an iPhone and a damned good one according to the reviews out so far.

17. cardfan macrumors 65816

Is the 6S seen or perceived as the lesser phone? I'd have to say it is. Most people probably didn't realize the 6 was quicker than the Plus. And they probably didn't care.

Bigger screen equals better to many.

And despite the 6 outselling the Plus, many perceive the Plus as being in more demand. Either Apple really has supply problems with the Plus at launch or they're very smart. I'd go with the latter.