Is the $90 upgrades of the 128GB SSD and the high res glossy worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AbyssImpact, Mar 3, 2011.

1. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

So the 128GB upgrade is only $90 from education store and also the high res display. Is it worth it to upgrade for an already expensive machine? I am talking 2k here. That 2k can feed my family for 3 months.

2. axu539 macrumors 6502a

If you can't afford it, don't buy it. A computer isn't worth going into financial problems. However, if you have the extra $100-200 to spend, definitely go for the high res. I'd even suggest the antiglare, but that's up to preference. With regards to the SSD, there are some conflicting opinions. It's definitely a good value, and the Toshiba SSDs Apple uses are decent. However, they are not the fastest SSDs around, and some people here think OWC, Intel, and/or OCZ provide better SSDs overall. Personally, I already own an Intel, but opted for the $90 SSD simply due to the value, and the extra support from Apple I would get with it.

3. simsaladimbamba

Yes, if you need it.
    No, if you don't need it.
    So in short: do you need it?
    An SSD is nice and will add to the already snappy experience and an HR screen is quite nice, but if you only use the MBP for text editing or web browsing and can live with 1440 x 900 pixel, then it might be a waste of time.

I once had the 15" MBP (2009) and was quite happy with it, though there was no HR display then and SSDs more expensive than today. After it was stolen I switched to the 17" MBP, which was the only model then with an anti-glare screen, which I had to have, as the gloss was quite much for me.
    I added an SSD into the 17" last year and would never go back to an HDD, as the snappiness has improved tenfold.
    I also would never use the 1440 x 900 screen on a 15" again, it is quite low, I would personally get the HR screen, especially for that price.
    But I need the high resolution for my applications anyway.

4. AbyssImpact thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am a student and I use my computer for microsoft word, facebook twitter, and powerpoint presentation. I also like to watch youtube videos in HD and also instant message.

5. axu539 macrumors 6502a

It actually sounds like a 13" + display would suit you better. You don't seem to need much power at all in the computer.

6. AbyssImpact thread starter macrumors 6502a

But the 13 inch doesn't have the ability to upgrade to HR screen. I hate the resolution for the 13 inch.

7. axu539 macrumors 6502a

Even the 13" MBA with a display would suit you just fine. None of the Applications you named need any more power than an 11" MBA can provide already. Of course, I apologize for trying to talk you out of something you seem to have already decided.

Back on topic, if you really want the 15", I'd go low end 15", student discount, then upgrade to SSD and HR. Antiglare is up to you.

8. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

The SSD is worth it for sure for that price. Can't ever go back to a standard hard drive after ssd. High res is up to the user. i prefer normal res but my 51 year old eyes aren't what they used to be.

9. deadlystriker macrumors regular

deadlystriker

Definitely go for the anti glare option should you decide on upgrading the resolution.

10. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

If you feel a $200ish upgrade (after EDU discount) is expensive when you're already considering spending over $2000 on a 15" MBP, then I don't think getting the laptop is suited for you at all. Like others have mentioned based on what you're planning to use the computer for, any MacBook/Pro from the past 2 years is more than powerful enough to do the things you mentioned and more.

Save some money and buy a refurb previous generation i5/i7 from the Apple Store.

11. CW Jones macrumors 6502

hmm honestly for what little your using it for... why bother with a Mac? I love my pro, but for the little stuff your talking of you could spend $800 on a really nice PC that would do everything you listed just fine. Your in college and it awfully dumb for you to essentially waste the money on a mac for word processing, facebook and some online videos.

Just my thought.

12. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

It sounds like you already know you want the High Res, but since you are asking: Personally, I wouldn't like it because it makes words/letters quite a bit smaller, and I get tired of looking at small print all day. If OSX were resolution independent, then I think it would be great because I could use the more screen "real estate" when I wanted to but not all the time.

I'm really happy with the 13" size, but wish they would offer an anti-glare option for it because I hate the glossy. Which just goes to show there is no way for another person to really say if something is "worth it" for you.